Last Post Wins Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Snow... My view the morning I left Post Falls for Thanksgiving on Wednesday...
27aeeed546753670b0aaa8239caf231c.jpg

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Whoops! The bears got my suet last night and they twisted the steel shepherds hook I hung it on. My bad...I should have waited a while till late December to put it out. Win for the bears this time

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Whoops! The bears got my suet last night and they twisted the steel shepherds hook I hung it on. My bad...I should have waited a while till late December to put it out. Win for the bears this time

So educate this SoCal/Idahoan, what is suet on a hook used for?

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I know that many birds like suet, which is a hard, white fat that comes from cattle. Not sure what other wildlife likes it, other than bears.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So educate this SoCal/Idahoan, what is suet on a hook used for?
The suet is a square block of a type of fat mixed with seeds and nuts and sometimes berries and corn. They make little metal cages to put the block of suet in and you either hang it in a tree or on a tall metal hook planted in the ground. Many birds love this. Here we get a lot of woodpeckers and blue Jays and Cardinals that gather to feed usually talking turns. When the snow falls and their food sources are scarce, this helps them survive the winter. They're lovely to watch too. Right now the bears are gorging on anything they can find preparing to hibernate. They love bird feeders and suet blocks. I usually wait another few weeks till they're in their dens to hang mine up. I guess I started too early and the bears are very good at knocking the suet"cages" and the tall hooks down and eating the goodies. Squirrels try their best to get to the feeders also.

Status
Not open for further replies.