Last Gen Flagship Showdown: V10 vs. Turbo 2

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
My Turbo 2 has been acting strange. On top of that, I bought a new car....and my phone was really wonky with the BT. It only worked about 30% of the time. Found a fellow Mazda owner on Reddit with the exact same problem with his T2.
In a fit of rage, I bounced on over to Swappa and bought a like new LG V10. I have always wanted to try an LG. I threaten to always leave Moto for LG, yet I never do ("Shatterproof screen!!!!" I wail).
But I finally did. I didn't spend $30,000 on a car to have to suffer through using a damn aux-in cable still.
I got a MINT V10, recently refurb'ed (previous owner just got this one on an insurance claim, and a month later upgraded to the V20), with a spare battery, battery charger, and a Power Bear extended battery.

Initial Impressions
I'm no stranger to the V10. My sister had one, and I support one at the office. So I know the screen is gorgeous and the camera is industry leading. Now I understand why people claim the Turbo seems a little dim at times.
As to my day to day usage? I have to say, LG's UI is fantastic! We always hear people talk about how they want that pure Android experience, and I have to say... I don't think I want that boring pure experience anymore. I am actually impressed by what LG has done here. It's kind of a mix of Google's UI and Nova launcher. You can change your icons in the STOCK launcher. You can change your screen transitions and use different fonts in the STOCK launcher. Madness! Who would've thought a company might understand we like to customize stuff! I have it setup now to change the wallpaper every time I switch screens. Not even the mighty Nova does that. Many things I download Nova for are available, right here in the stock app.
I never thought I cared much for a fingerprint reader. LG's is fantastic, fast and accurate, and the location on the back of the phone is perfect for it. The speakers are loud and it sounds great when you connect it to some headphones.

More to come.....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good luck with your new phone Pere. Sounds like a nice device. As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
After a few days

So, yea, I really like the V10. It's fast. The screen is indeed one of the best I've ever seen. It is SO funny how fast you get used to bigger phones. The T2 almost feels small. Almost. ;)
The camera is mind blowingly good.
Battery life sucks on the V10 though compared to the Turbo. There's no comparison. But it is nice to get home from work and *pop - swap* stick a new battery in.
There is one thing I am really still struggling to deal with: "Moto Drive" mode is absolutely best in class for driving apps. LG has nothing like it. The app store has nothing like it. The one I am testing now you have to leave running all the time for it to detect when you are driving. Weak. Others want to completely take over your phone similar to Android Auto. I just want a quality "txt reader".
Anyone have any they like?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Wow...not one suggestion for a good SMS while driving reader. Hello? Any devs reading this?
Currently trying Bazz but I have to manually launch it or leave it always running.

One thing I do love: icon badges. Why does Moto not do this natively? I've had Moto's for so long I've just accepted the fact that Apple does this better. That Android simply wasn't good at it. No. This is not the case.
I didn't have to install any extra apps for it, didn't have to tweak one thing. They are there. On damn near everything...

ad46ae2177abb29d91d9f7bb375cfa87.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
f8eb7f8ba77778ef36558a9255716cb4.jpg

Oh...and does anyone know what that icon is?
The LG screenshot app, btw, is fantastic.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
After a few days

There is one thing I am really still struggling to deal with: "Moto Drive" mode is absolutely best in class for driving apps. LG has nothing like it. The app store has nothing like it. The one I am testing now you have to leave running all the time for it to detect when you are driving. Weak. Others want to completely take over your phone similar to Android Auto. I just want a quality "txt reader".
Anyone have any they like?
try smart connect made by sony mobile communications. i've got attached to it since z3v days and prefer it over moto app.

the way i have mine setup is when it detects connection to bluetooth in car it starts playing google music, turns on waze navigation and enables text to speech for messaging. once connection to bluetooth stops, it pauses google music and disables text to speech. you can also set it up based on times of day, connections, similar to tasker.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
try smart connect made by sony mobile communications. i've got attached to it since z3v days and prefer it over moto app.

the way i have mine setup is when it detects connection to bluetooth in car it starts playing google music, turns on waze navigation and enables text to speech for messaging. once connection to bluetooth stops, it pauses google music and disables text to speech. you can also set it up based on times of day, connections, similar to tasker.
Installed. Do set the car up as a headset?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
the car bluetooth should be listed by some name(mine is listed as livio, which is my bluetooth adapter, but looks like a headset icon) but icon would look like a headset under accessories.