Last few versions, not charging, Phone extremely hot!!??!

dbuglio

Reaction score
This issue is cropping up a lot lately and I am wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.

I will plug my phone into the usb charger and it will light up and act like it is charging, however it will not charge and the cpu area will get extremely hot.

I have the droid 2 extended battery in my droid 1 (I have owned this battery a good few months now), and I have noticed this issue on the past month or so of MIUI revisions. It is extremely worrisome and a issue that affects my whole day (wake up for work, phone is not ready at 100% charge for a new day).

I have had zero issues with my phone doing this before, I have always had it rooted and running a OC'ed 1ghz-1.2ghz kernel with setCPU. This combined with the random kernel panics / freeze and soft reboot is making me less and less comfortable with running MIUI.

Has ANYONE else experienced the battery charging issue? It has happened to me on both a 3rd party AC to USB adapter and standard micro USB cord, the stock Motorola charger as well as when I use my computer / USB to charge.

Reaction score
This has been an issue for me also. I use my phone as my alarm clock and whenever it happens the alarm clock doesn't go off. I find it to be pretty annoying. The last time it happened the temp was up at like 130.

OP
D

dbuglio

Reaction score
This could potentially be a serious issue if it is not a isolated incident.

toastedoats

Reaction score
I personally have not seen this issue myself and have been on MIUI weekly's since Oct.
Have you guys tried flashing other ROMs, perhaps stock w/ stock kernel? I am wondering if this is a hardware problem rather than software

Any time I have wierd problems I flash a stock ROM and kernel to ensure that I am not having a hardware issue then wipe with fresh install of whatever ROM i want to use

OP
D

dbuglio

Reaction score
I was on UD 2.5 for about a week or so, and was playing with gingerbread roms for the past few days. Going back to MIUI last night and having this problem happen right away was what prompted me to make this post.

Zero issues with other roms.

I perfer Chevy's ULV 1.25 Kernel and when running MIUI I use Slayher 1.6 (chevy's bootloops)

kamisan

Reaction score
Having a similar issue on my phone. Started with 12.24.1 and continues with 1.7 . not the heat issue but the battery charges, then while plugged in discharges (though the charge light shows charging) until I remove and replug it in. Just went to the latest 1.7 and battery went to 50% and is just sitting there, showing charging, but not going up from 50%. Rebooted, pulled battery, and I did a format and wipe prior to install both times. Wife has same model of droid, still on 12.24.1 and never had any issue. Seems to be my droid but it didnt do it prior to 12.24.1 or on any other rom. I have a new battery on its way anyways (there so cheap) will update if that magically fixes it.

publicanimal

Reaction score
The phone WILL NOT CHARGE if it is too hot. This is a safety feature to keep the battery from exploding from the additional heat generated from charging.

In your case the solution appears to be simple. Try not to overclock so high and use a lower voltage kernel. The latest build of Miui is super fast even at 600 MHz, I seriously doubt there are any benefits to overclocking this build beyond 800 MHz. Also in general with MIUI I've experienced increased performance and lower temps after uninstalling Set CPU and manually overclocking instead.

On slower builds of MIUI or slower ROMs I only overclock to 1.1 or 1.2 GHz if I'm using an ultra-low voltage kernel.

If Chevy's kernels are bootlooping for you then you are not using his newest kernels. They can be found here:
http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/froyo/kernels3/

Klaumbaz

Reaction score
Stock phone here, updated/current ROM.

Same problem, replaced phone due to issue, replaced battery, still happening with new equipment.

What is going on to cause this? how do we get it fixed?

kamisan

Reaction score
I finally got an answer. My charging circuit has failed. A micro diode shorted and it now discharges instead of charging. External charger is getting it done

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kamisan

Reaction score
charging

I thought it might be the rom, changed no difference, thought it could be kernel , changed no difference (iv'e had some kernels make the battery show dead when it is full charged)
I went through a few cell phone repair shops before I had one who knew. In my case (may not be yours) my phone internal charging circuit is draining instead of charging. It runs in reverse. I was told by the tech some of the D1's do that after a voltage spike and that some on board micro diode gets torched and cannot be replaced with the technology they had. The usb charging port can be changed but it works.