Large Caller ID Photos

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by bracemg, Feb 11, 2010.

1. bracemg

bracemg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this has been discussed many times, but I can't find a thread dedicated towards this. Are any devs attempting to implement an iphone-eque large caller ID image into their ROMS?
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I have not heard of this being implemented into any of the roms...but that's not to say it won't ever be....you might wanna try suggesting this to some of the devs out there....

Alldroid.org has a thread dedicated to Petes (the developer of Bugless Beast) future features in roms.

And then go over to sholes.info and you can suggest it on their comment boxes...
  3. liquidzoo

liquidzoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While I'd love to see this, I doubt it will happen for one reason: Verizon, not Moto or Google, limits their size. That was the case with the BB as well (put an at&t Pearl and a VZW Pearl side by side, call both and you'll see what I mean)
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5

How is VZW limiting the size of a contact picture that is not on thier network, but stored locally on the device?
  5. liquidzoo

liquidzoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On the blackberry the were doing it with part of the firmware behind the OS. Every VZW phone I've owned has had small caller id photos where other carriers have photos that fill or nearly fill the screen.

Even with an OS change from a different CDMA carrier on a VZW BB, there was always some VZW branding that remained. Something in there that wasn't able to be changed, and that controlled some of the screens.

I'd love to know if it's different for the Droid, though. Believe me, I want to be proven wrong on this.
  6. Finnstang

Finnstang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My problem with the caller ID pics is not the size, but the clarity...the caller id pics are all blurrier/blockier then the originals...
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5
    What would VZW gain by placing a limit on contact photo size?
    This makes no sense at all..
  8. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    VZW limits me to 4 sheets of TP a day :icon_eek:
  9. liquidzoo

liquidzoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I read that there is an option to only use the pics you set for caller id images. The problem with the blurryness is with the compression it goes through when it syncs to gmail, then back to your phone.

Maybe someone was blowing smoke and I just caught a whiff... I can't find the post that I read it in (though it was a while ago). If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I did notice that there are several 3rd party apps that will do this for blackberry. Wonder if something similar could be developed for us.
  10. bracemg

bracemg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I would think so; I guess that's the genesis of my question. Any devs out there toying with this?
  11. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0

this is not true, nor do i see any ROM dev fixing this. the problem is the initial size of the contact's photo. if the contacts/phone app has a way to distinguish between two different files, then the change is possible, however, someone will probably have to reverse engineer the coding in both apps (or develop a new app) to check for two different image files.

what you are left with is, multiple photos for each contact.

the contacts app has a set size and stores the image related to the contact, in the contact DB, on the phone. when you receive a phone call, the phone app pulls the image and contact information (after a match) and displays it on the screen.

because the phone is pulling from the contact's DB, the image has to be expanded (enlarged) and this is why you see the blurry/pixelated look.

it has ONLY to do with the size of the contact's image.

now; we HAVE had many threads discussing this, and it's usually related to the FB images downloaded for your contacts. the FB images that are downloaded are the smallest available size FB offers, which is the one attached to all of your wall posts, etc. that image is associated with your contact's info, and then, in turn, is englarged when you receive a call.

it's all hard-coded. changing it will require back-end development. personally, i don't want a "hacker" to re-write my phone app.
  12. bracemg

bracemg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! That sucks though. I guess that's the downside to being connected to your "cloud." I guess that's why the iphone doesn't have this problem - it doesn't sync with FB etc.
  13. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you assign a picture from the gallery to your contact, both apps have the ability to pull from the location of the image. personally, i've always hated assigning images to contacts as once my settings are lost, so are my images, so the FB sync is a God-send.
  14. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not just the hard-coding in the phone.apk, if you set a picture to your contact in gmail, you get the exact same size photo and pixelation online as well as on the phone.. It's the default settings google is using to keep the image footprint down throughout all gmail, not just the Droid.
  15. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think VERIZON has anything to do with the photo size. I had a tmobile g1 on tmobile and the contact photo ID was the same size as the droids on verizon. I had a jailbroken iphone on tmobile and the contact photos were full screen. I think it's a software issue, but I could be wrong.

Edit: after reading some of the other posts it dawned on me to just look at my iphone. I still have an iphone on tmobile and it is synced with my google account so my contacts from my droid are also on the iphone. I looked and some of the pics i took and assigned as contact photos on my droid are now on my iphone and they are small. So, it must be the way google set it up to work. Assigned contact photos get compressed and are sent to your google account and then they show up on your phone small.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
Search tags for this page
android id photos bigger
caller foto id for iphone s4
caller id pics used to be large on galaxy s4 now they are sm
caller id picture size android
can you make the caller id text on an android bigger
enlarge android contact poto
how to enlarge contact photos full screen on android phone
phone app show picturesnof caller

photo caller id free no contact limits

themes for big caller id