Lapdock?

DoctorV

Reaction score
Does running a lap dock modify the UI at all or is it just your phone on a bigger screen? I don't see how they could justify requiring a tether package for that and not for using HDMI to an external monitor.... and I'm going to be p*ssed if I have to pay the tethering fee to use my HDMI feature

If I remember right the UI is a little bit different when it's connected to the lapdock. No you don't need to pay for a tethering package for the lapdock or for hooking it up via HDMI cable to an HDTV. Tethering means that you're using your phone as an access point (internet connection) for other devices such as a laptop or desktop computer. The lapdock just changes the way you interact with your phone and that's all. The lapdock is just slapping on a glorified keyboard and monitor to your phone; it's useless by itself.

devils3023

Reaction score
If I remember right the UI is a little bit different when it's connected to the lapdock. No you don't need to pay for a tethering package for the lapdock or for hooking it up via HDMI cable to an HDTV. Tethering means that you're using your phone as an access point (internet connection) for other devices such as a laptop or desktop computer. The lapdock just changes the way you interact with your phone and that's all.

I hope that is true, but AT&T requires a $45 4gb tethering package for the lapdock unless you use it on wi-fi only.

DoctorV

Reaction score
I hope that is true, but AT&T requires a $45 4gb tethering package for the lapdock unless you use it on wi-fi only.

Whhhhaaattt? That sounds ludicrous! Are you sure about that? That seems absurd when all you're doing is essentially just changing the way you interact with your phone. If they're going to do that then why not charge people the $45 4gb tethering package if they use a bluetooth headset or use a stylus pen to interact with the screen?

DoctorV

Reaction score
This is the source. I didn't know you could buy it but promise to only use wifi. I'll try to check on that when I get the chance. UPDATED: Motorola Atrix Lapdock $1450 (you thought it was expensieve when announced huh) » Android Phones, Android Tablets, News, Tech, Gadgets And More, Thedroidguy

That's insane. I hope Verizon doesn't pull that garbage. As if the lapdock wasn't overpriced enough. I would hope the $30 Unlimited data plan would cover it and if not then the lapdock idea will die a really quick death.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's insane. I hope Verizon doesn't pull that garbage. As if the lapdock wasn't overpriced enough. I would hope the $30 Unlimited data plan would cover it and if not then the lapdock idea will die a really quick death.

Yeah I can't imagine anyone buying it if we had to pay more for it. That sort of defeats the plan for Moto to introduce different types of the lapdock too.

OP
E

erasmussen14

Reaction score
There are hacks for the Atrix that open up the lapdock to basically full linux, and avoid the tethering charges the same as you would get around using your phone as a mobile hotspot without paying for it by rooting your phone. Only a matter of time before that coding is done for the Bionic as well. In the meantime, you could just plug into a wifi network and rock and roll. I agree that ATT charging a premium to use the lapdock accessory that already cost a bit of change is a huge ripoff, but rooting your phone fixes that injustice.

Gimmicky, perhaps, but a deal breaker for me. I want the phone for the lapdocking ability.

E

spider210

Reaction score
Personally if its going to be that expensive who would even think about purchasing this. Might as well purchase a acheap netbook and lug that around than this thing. I wouldn't be paying extra for something that basically puts my phone on a larger screen.

Anyways would be a good accessory if it was priced in the 150-300 range but anything more is not worth it. Even with CORP discounts this thing still would not be worth it.

If anyone thinks that paying extra tethering package is ok, there's an issue with that but, hey if your already planning on paying for hotspot and you have grandfathered unlimited data you will also get unlimited hotspot for additional $30 which isn't too bad either when you think about mbb plans 5gb/$50-10gb/$80 and the 2gb/$20 hotspot feature. $30 extra isn't too bad but if you are still just looking to use the lapdock .... $30 extra might not be worth it.

nikecar

Reaction score
Wow! you must have some serious bank. Even so, where did you even find a 62 foot TV? I thought those were only available if you owned your own football stadium

It's jerry Jones from the cowboys.

Cj. Stands for Cowboy Jones. And the smoove is a play on smooth.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember right the UI is a little bit different when it's connected to the lapdock. No you don't need to pay for a tethering package for the lapdock or for hooking it up via HDMI cable to an HDTV. Tethering means that you're using your phone as an access point (internet connection) for other devices such as a laptop or desktop computer. The lapdock just changes the way you interact with your phone and that's all. The lapdock is just slapping on a glorified keyboard and monitor to your phone; it's useless by itself.

I'm sure you caught on, but the reason I asked this question because he had already brought up the point about paying the tether cost to use the dock... and I was trying to make a point of how stupid that fee would be by comparing it to using HDMI

cjsmoove

Reaction score
Wow! you must have some serious bank. Even so, where did you even find a 62 foot TV? I thought those were only available if you owned your own football stadium

DAMN...no wonder when I tell the women how big I am they keep laughing..lol