Lapdock 500 Review

Fall

Reaction score
LAPDOCK 500

I've had my new toy for about a week now. I heard a lot of mixed opinions on these Motorola lapdocks, however when I came across one on Amazon for $200 I couldn't help it.

Screen- Though a little washed out, looks similar in brightness and sharpness to that of Droid Bionic. Perfect for watching movies or playing games.

Camera- Good for video chatting but literally nothing else, due to its horrible sensor.

Speakers- Surprisingly good quality and loud, heavy bass can sometimes be a problem though. Unlike the 100 it also has a headphone jack.

Keyboard- Awesome, better than previous lapdocks, keeps your hands away from mouse pad. Also plenty of Android related shortcuts (phone, search, options, etc...)

Battery- I've been abusing it all week (given I do have the Razr Maxx) and haven't even had to charge the pair on a nightly basis. A neat feature is the ability to supercharge your phone with your lapdocks battery which is insanely fast.

Build- Love the textures used on it from the rubberized top to the solid rubber mounts on the bottom, no issues. Looks like a premium full sized laptop.

Software- Now here is where the biggest pros and cons of this accessory are evident.

Bad news first. Takes 1-2 minutes to start up. It does have a tendency to crash when running multiple programs, 99% of apps aren't meant for webtop which means you'll be playing with your mouse-pad for quite a while if you didn't opt for the mouse :p. That was literally it. I was taken back by how many bad things were said about this dock that maybe just in my luck I didn't experience.

If anything its nearly as fast as your average hp desktop. I love the surprises and functionality the lapdock unlocks for some of your apps. Netflix plays with no issues and in full resolution, Google Documents is what I'm writing this on, 4G connectivity is brilliant while out and about (especially Navigation), Pandora, Free Music download and Google Music make this a music downloading machine, you tube is fast and smooth and making and receiving phone calls is clear and loud on both sides.

Some other unique features this lapdock has are.

Works with both Droid Razr, Razr Maxx, Bionic (no vga or sd storage capability) and the Droid 4

VGA if you have a projector

SD Storage on the side up to 64 gigs

Several usb slots for accessories

Ethernet jack

Over all its been a fantastic week! I've enjoyed the attention at Starbucks dancedroid and I haven't used my computer the entire time. If you own a Razr or one of the devices above I would strongly recommend this dock.

Also I ordered the universal controller for Onlive this week and I'm dying to see if it works as well as everything else I've tried. Ill let you know how it goes.

Thank you!!!

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Got a question for you.... I mainly have been using the lapdock to watch videos, but when I go through the Firefox browser instead of the mobile view I get weird electronic noises through my wired speakers.... Any ideas as to why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR maxx.

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
I tried one youtube video on both the Android application and youtube in the Firefox Browser. Your right it does sound a lot more coarse on the regular youtube. It may have something to do with the optimization of music applications on the Droid. I'd be a liar if I said I was an expert at these sort of things. :icon_ devil:

blowabs

Reaction score
Any solution yet to the battery drain to the MAXX on my 500??????????? thx folks!

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
maxx

Any solution yet to the battery drain to the MAXX on my 500??????????? thx folks!

Nothing yet hopefully webtop 3.0 fixes this problem. I've tried three different razrs and experienced the same exact problem

blowabs

Reaction score
Nothing yet hopefully webtop 3.0 fixes this problem. I've tried three different razrs and experienced the same exact problem
OK Ty.
How do I find out when that will come out?? Thx

blowabs

Reaction score
Did webtop 3.0 solve the evbridge/batt drain situation for anyone yet on their Lapdock 500? Thx

OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
yep

This thing is like a full fledge computer now. Could not be more happier with how this new tablet like ui turned out. Much faster, sleeker and with the use of widgets and live wallpapers it looks better than most laptops out there now. If you have unlimited data this is the coolest gadget of all time.

blowabs

Reaction score
GRRRRR...............oh, noooooooo...still battery drain on my Maxx with web top 3.0.... AND ,,,how do you find setting for battery charging of MAXX and/or LD 500...??????? Help....thx folks
[I want this to work correctly so bad...i have unlimited data...]

Last edited:
OP
Fall

Fall

Reaction score
View attachment 52458
GRRRRR...............oh, noooooooo...still battery drain on my Maxx with web top 3.0.... AND ,,,how do you find setting for battery charging of MAXX and/or LD 500...??????? Help....thx folks
[I want this to work correctly so bad...i have unlimited data...]

I just got off mine about 20 minutes no more evbridge hang ups a of yet.

blowabs

Reaction score
The 500 is running good on 3.0 webtop....but....on battery the 500 still eats my RAZR MAXX battery like crazy--Instead of charging it???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what gives here??? [not a problem when the 500 is plugged in though...then it charges my razr maxx,]

Last edited: