Lapdock 100 versus 500

SunsNut

Reaction score
OK, in spite of having an iPad I really love the idea of the lapdock for this bad boy. My problem is I really wanted the 500 model with the built-in camera and the bigger screen and the reviews on this model pretty much stink. The 100 has gotten pretty good reviews but the screen is no bigger than the iPad but you get the USB ports which can support so much more than Apple has allowed the iPad to. So, has anyone used either model and care to comment?

Vickie

Reaction score
i have a 100 and i am underwhelmed with the performance... if you have too many tabs open or try to move between too many tasks it will slow down horribly... dont expect it to keep up with your ipadm its not gonna happen.

what you will get is basically a dock that turns your phone into a (motorola crippled) netbook. USB ports can be used for a mouse/keyboard and flash drives which is really nice for some quick productivity.

it comes down to what your usage for it will be... if its websurfing and emailing you are after, it will be perfect for you as-is... if you want more (like me) you will have to do some real work to your phone to get it to be worth your money.

only reason i got the lapdock 100 is that i found one on craigslist for $100 and i figured what the hell, why not.

short version: its a very good gadget which makes emailing/websurfing easier but wont really give much more value than that

pgreeny

Reaction score
I bought. The lap dock 100 , used it for a day and decided to return it. My experience was my D4 didn't fit that well in the slot in the back. Very slow and lagging during simple tasks. Just overall didn't seem to work well. Very unimpressed.

Sent from my DROID4

Reaction score
thats my same thoughts at this point... not fitting isnt that much of an issue since if i use it 95% of the time ill be at a desk and i did find a way to make it fit... and im trying to get ubuntu to run on the phone... if i can do that, it should fix the laggy issues

tdpolo26

Reaction score
i had the 500 only returned it cause i am waiting for a price drop. to be honest it worked ok...if you rooted and froze apps prolly would even be better

omar908

Reaction score
@tdpolo26 they were having a special for it today at verizon website for only $150 u should check it out ,its in these forums :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Kack

Reaction score
I really dont see a use for one of these other than a nifty little toy. i have a lap top , tablet and a rooted d4 so i can tether. so its really of no use to me, but i guess some people will enjoy it. just confused as to why.

Reaction score
well it actually came in handy for me yesterday... first off the lapdock is nice and small so you can stash it in a backpack, brief case, or even a purse without much issue. if you dont have (or dont want to carry with you) a laptop or tablet everywhere, the lapdock can be used for quick productivity

i got stuck at the car dealership for 2 hours because they said my car was ready so i went to pick it up-- but of course it was not ready. i was supposed to be meeting up with my team to finish up some work on an on-going project and i had the files we needed to work on on a flash drive.... so my whole team is assembled at the meeting and ready to go except they dont have the files... i get a text asking if i can send the files.

if i just had my phone on me-- no way i could have done this
i didnt have my laptop/tablet with me because i see no reason to bring those to the car dealership just to pick up my car!
but since i had the lapdock, 4g connection, and usb drive i was able to send the files over in a jiffy!

is it a replacement for a laptop or even a good tablet? no
does it have uses? yes

Sparkimus

Reaction score
I picked up the lapdock 100 from VZW yesterday for $200. So far it's pretty cool and I'm happy with the purchase. It is a bit slow at times but overclocking the Droid 4's CPU and GPU seemes to have helped with performance. For what I need (document editing, browsing) it seems to be perfect.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

RJT185

Reaction score
I picked up the lapdock 100 from VZW yesterday for $200. So far it's pretty cool and I'm happy with the purchase. It is a bit slow at times but overclocking the Droid 4's CPU and GPU seemes to have helped with performance. For what I need (document editing, browsing) it seems to be perfect.

How intensive of a document edit job are we talking here?

Basic WORD files, or graphs + texts + images?

Sparkimus

Reaction score
So far just basic word documents for school, and some invoices with a few graphs and images for work. Nothing too complex.