Laggy

Diordna

Reaction score
I don't wanna JUST root, what's the point of JUST rooting without the good stuff? I wanna learn how to do the rest too. What are roms exactly, and kernelz? What do they do, are they easy to put?

What's good about JUST rooting is that your phone is rooted lol
You can have Wifi Tethering on it and still overclock it!

Putting cool ROMs and themes and stuff on are nice extra, but wouldn't ever hurt to just simply root first then go on from there.

There is a ROM section on this forum, developers just like me and you create them and people put that on their phones. It's not to hard to do, just follow instructions.
If you have AIM I can try to read through it again and then I'll go over it with you and help you root if you want.

Oh and I have a 1.1 GHZ kernel that lets my phone run at well, 1.1 GHZ's which is twice as fast and smooth as ours right now, yours is running at 550 MHZ's.

I was in your position only 2 weeks ago so it's still fresh on how I was like when in your shoes lol

No I don't wanna JUST root my phone, I want to change the processor speed along with it as well and make it quicker. (Does running at 1.1 GHZ cause any problems whatsoever to the phone? If it's normally running at 550 mhz, and doubling the speed it can't be normal lol)

I keep reading something about bugless beast, I'm guessing that's a rom?

I'm gonna try and do this maybe today, tomorrow or whenever soon.

I'm gonna private message you right now and give you my aim screen name. Ill go on later on tonight, I'm stepping out soon though.

BTW, is there anyway that I can back up the phone JUST in case something goes wrong? And when I do root it, is everything saved on it still?
I already said that JUST rooting your phone you can overclock, which means changing the speed. There is a thing called "SetCPU" in the market for 2 dollars, just look it up in the market and read the description and see what I'm talking about.

Bugless Beast is a ROM, and that developer put out a kernel that makes my phone run at 1.1 GHZ with that ROM. It runs REAL smooth and fast, I'm running Helix Launcher 2 from the market flawlessly. Switching screens and opening up apps and what not is just awesome.

There is a ROM section in this forum you know, with several different ROMs and whatnot, including Bugless Beast. Those developers create these ROMs and everytime they make it better they post it on this site for people to try and stuff.

And btw there is a 800 MHZ kernel, 1.0 GHZ, 1.1 GHZ. 1.2 GHZ, so you can choose different speeds depending on your phone. I personally love the 1.1 GHZ though, a lot of people like a nice simple 800 MHZ, it's whatever lol

But um, devz make ROMs and themes and whatnot and it makes the phone look and feel different too. Like for example in THIS post you'll see his icons are not the same as the ones you have, and other stuff like the power control colors and all icons are like black and white. That is a Bugless Beast ROM but he has several different other themes and whatnot to make the icons like that and stuff.

But you seem like the person, like me, that doesn't care to much about the looks, but the real internal improvements. If this is the case, go with Bugless Beast. BB also has different customizing icons, like the facebook widget is black, and whatnot.
But Bugless Beast is one thing, and if you look HERE you will see the latest Bugless beast ROM and it has option for themes too like Nextheme and SmokedGlass theme, which are just different looks, it's not hard to try them both out to see what one you prefer. Oh and also a Stock theme.. lol

Hope I helped a little!

etx_droid

Reaction score
Backwards Android is right, it isn't that hard after you jump in and actually start doing it, even if you aren't that tech savvy. There are TONS of folks on this forum that will help you out if you have any issues as well TONS of threads about ROMs, Rooting, Themeing etc. Just do a little reading, look at some screen grabs, and pick out your favorite!

I recommend Flashing SPRecovery first, this will give Nandroid (Which allows you to do full backup/restore to your phone) and replace the stock recovery mode with SPRecovery which will allow you to install ROMs with ease!

Check this vid and post out about it.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
When I updated from 2.0.1 to 2.1 - everything seemed snappier to me and my battery life easily increased 30%+. I was 100% stock and did not use live wallpapers (which did slow my phone down). Also, doing a factory reset after updating to 2.1 seemed to really help speed everything up when I was 100% stock.

I really really recommend rooting your phone - but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. Either way, my phone has easily increased in speed 200%. It is running cooler than stock temperatures too. Now I could never go back to stock. Knowledge is your friend. I read about rooting for weeks before I actually did it.

This is what I used to root my droid: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/06/guide-to-rooting-android-2-1-on-a-motorola-droid/
Watch the videos first then go through the steps slowly while watching the videos again. FYI, it does take awhile to flash so let it work, don't freak out. :p

Last edited:
OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, and driondna that post helped a LOT! I actually am a little interested in changing the looks of the phone as well, this is one of the major reasons I actually picked the Droid over ANY other phone...it's SOOOOOO customizable and I honestly get tired of looking at the same screen all the time. I like practicality and looks and the droid offers both.

But it seems after the update my phone just slowed down, and the battery...WOW! it goes sooo much quicker it's not even funny. ESPECIALLY when it's on standby, when I'm using it, the battery is actually not bad which is what I find weird?

I'm gonna watch some of these videos and maybe root it one of these days, I just wanna increase the processor speed and it seems as though everyone suggests bugless beast to use. I've read other topics also, and noticed that's what everyone is running, so when I do root it that's what I will use also.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm stock, running 2.1. When my Droid lags there is usually a reason for it. Usually a simple reset (on/off) takes care of it. Sometimes I do use a task killer if my browser lags. I don't use the task killer to automatically close task.

I run live wall paper. I have overclocked my Droid in the past to 1gb. Did it run faster? Yes, but the keyboard lagged tremendously on the internet. And it just sucked up battery like there was no tomorrow and ran hotter then usual. I ran Set CPU, had profiles set and even used that app that was suppose "assist" Droid in deciding what apps to close down to save battery. I forgot the name of it.

Since 2.1 I've been pleased, the lag on the internet from 2.0.1 is gone and for the most part my phone runs smooth.

Oh and that warranty thing. I don't have to worry about it being voided.

YMMV, I'm just sharing my own experiences and thoughts.

Diordna

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, and driondna that post helped a LOT! I actually am a little interested in changing the looks of the phone as well, this is one of the major reasons I actually picked the Droid over ANY other phone...it's SOOOOOO customizable and I honestly get tired of looking at the same screen all the time. I like practicality and looks and the droid offers both.

But it seems after the update my phone just slowed down, and the battery...WOW! it goes sooo much quicker it's not even funny. ESPECIALLY when it's on standby, when I'm using it, the battery is actually not bad which is what I find weird?

I'm gonna watch some of these videos and maybe root it one of these days, I just wanna increase the processor speed and it seems as though everyone suggests bugless beast to use. I've read other topics also, and noticed that's what everyone is running, so when I do root it that's what I will use also.
Well I like helping people root and put custom ROMs up, it's fun for me. So if you ever want to learn and step up to the plate, let me know and we can do in over an IM like AIM or FB or Google Chat.
It's real easy and it's hard to brick your phone.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score

Well I like helping people root and put custom ROMs up, it's fun for me. So if you ever want to learn and step up to the plate, let me know and we can do in over an IM like AIM or FB or Google Chat.
It's real easy and it's hard to brick your phone.

yea on aim it would be a LOT easier! let me know when you will be online or something, and ill go on also.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm stock, running 2.1. When my Droid lags there is usually a reason for it. Usually a simple reset (on/off) takes care of it. Sometimes I do use a task killer if my browser lags. I don't use the task killer to automatically close task.

I run live wall paper. I have overclocked my Droid in the past to 1gb. Did it run faster? Yes, but the keyboard lagged tremendously on the internet. And it just sucked up battery like there was no tomorrow and ran hotter then usual. I ran Set CPU, had profiles set and even used that app that was suppose "assist" Droid in deciding what apps to close down to save battery. I forgot the name of it.

Since 2.1 I've been pleased, the lag on the internet from 2.0.1 is gone and for the most part my phone runs smooth.

Oh and that warranty thing. I don't have to worry about it being voided.

YMMV, I'm just sharing my own experiences and thoughts.

the battery draining quicker and the phone getting hot are my worries cause the processor is obviously being sped up. I think it's worth a try though. I have reset my phone before, and I have task killer but it still lags sometimes and bothers me. Since the update my phone has been running worse unfortunately, it really depends on the phone also, it's not JUST the update.

As far as the warranty goes, I can always go back to stock.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I run a conservative 800 mhz. I am not a speed junkie. But I played around with all the speeds. 800 seemed to get me pretty zippy responses. Games run smooth and fast. And the temps to not go overboard. I run profiles in SetCPU to back the speed down to 550 mhz if the OMAP3 Sensor (CPU) hits 115 F. I'm OK with it getting hotter than that but why bake it? 550 MHZ still gets the job done but won't cook things inside.

I read a data sheet on the OMAP3 and it states it can get somewhere around 145 F before melting. I don't want to push it to the limits but it can get hotter than most people think. That said...the hotter you run it the shorter the life span will be.

Balance is the key. Don't get crazy with speed.

Nate

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
I run a conservative 800 mhz. I am not a speed junkie. But I played around with all the speeds. 800 seemed to get me pretty zippy responses. Games run smooth and fast. And the temps to not go overboard. I run profiles in SetCPU to back the speed down to 550 mhz if the OMAP3 Sensor (CPU) hits 115 F. I'm OK with it getting hotter than that but why bake it? 550 MHZ still gets the job done but won't cook things inside.

I read a data sheet on the OMAP3 and it states it can get somewhere around 145 F before melting. I don't want to push it to the limits but it can get hotter than most people think. That said...the hotter you run it the shorter the life span will be.

Balance is the key. Don't get crazy with speed.

Nate

Lol yea EXACTLY what I was worried about, there's a reason the phone doesn't run to its full potential. I'm sure the Incredible can run up to 2 ghz with its processor, but there's a reason it doesn't run that far up. Probably not healthy for the battery, or the phone.

800 mhz is stable though right? That's what I want, I want the phone to be just a TAD quicker, but also, I don't want to compromise battery and have it getting too hot.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
800Mhz is stable - so is 1000Mhz. Though I wasn't comfortable with how hot it got so I went back to 800Mhz. It "feels" just as snappy as the 1Ghz too. I've never had a crash, not even at 52C when I was tethering and google map'ing at 1Ghz.

Battery life has increased incredibly for me because of the standby time and the CPU downclocking (imo). Getting to webpages faster with less loading time has to save battery too.

OP
alboboy10

alboboy10

Reaction score
Does it make THAT big a difference running at 800 from the stock? I can't wait to get this done!