Laggy Interface :(

jacob80

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well we just put two Motorola Droids on our brand new Verizon account and so far, I absolutely LOVE the phone!

For the past two years, I've owned an iPod touch and my father owns an iPhone, and I've noticed the the Droid's interface is not smooth like the iPhone platform. Though this is not a major issue whatsoever, it would be nice to have the interface glide around like the iPhone.

I've read that many people have noticed this, as well. Hell, I even noticed it before I bought it, but it does not keep me from loving my Droid.

My question is, is there any safe way to improve the interface? I've read a couple things about over clocking, but I am still a little skeptical about the whole process.

Just so that I am clear: No, this is not from installing multiple applications that have caused this, this problem has been present ever since first power up.

Thanks for your help guys, i do appreciate it!

:motdroidvert: Motorola Droid 2.1

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Overclocking is your best option in my opinion. If you don't want to do that, a task killer is really the only other thing you can try. If you decide you want to overclock and need some guidance, feel free to PM me.

slinky

Reaction score
Overclocking is your best option in my opinion. If you don't want to do that, a task killer is really the only other thing you can try. If you decide you want to overclock and need some guidance, feel free to PM me.

You can't even clock the chip to its rated speed without rooting, which many of us don't care to do.

The problem is also not just speed but also the way apps are managed in android. It isn't always pretty (the buttons are functional) and sometimes screen transitions aren't the smoothest. Some apps, though, are amazing.

shmoo

Reaction score
Read up on it and then root your phone. It really is your best bet. Plus if you do root, your Droid will be able to knock the spit out of any iPhone around. Not to pressure, and sorry if it feels that way. Any questions about anything Droid can be found here!

Reaction score
Definitely root and overclock. Its the best thing I've ever done with my phone. You don't need a new ROM necessarily, just use RSDlite to flash sprecovery and then flash a rooted copy of the official 2.1 software, install an overclocking kernel and download setcpu from the market. Search around the hacks section for what all of that means, its not as scary as it sounds. Promise!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
J

jacob80

Reaction score
Bringing this back up again.

I'm back with more gripe. My droid is just plain slow. Going from my iPod touch to this makes me not even want to attempt to use the browser or any kind of media options as everything is laggy and I have to wait a second for everything to react. I noticed it was laggy at the store when I was playing around with it as well, so no, this is not an issue I have created. What is the safest method of speeding up the phone? I'm not sure about rooting, but if necessary, I will do it.

Thanks guys.

slinky

Reaction score
I have no time and patience for rooting and then dealing with the 2.2 update. Quite frankly, one should not have to root their phone to get good performance. Some things really do lag quite a bit. Some of this has to do with Verizon's data network, perhaps.

Reaction score
Why not just a try a different home? Launcher Pro Beta is very smooth and fast with a bunch of options to tweak. Same with ADW. Both are in the market.

mentaloaf

Reaction score
I have no time and patience for rooting and then dealing with the 2.2 update. Quite frankly, one should not have to root their phone to get good performance. Some things really do lag quite a bit. Some of this has to do with Verizon's data network, perhaps.

You're hilarious slinky...no time and patience for rooting? Whatever. As someone who knows very little about computer stuff I found rooting and overclocking to be a fun, interesting, and highly educational experience that has made my phone's performance go absolutely through the roof. There are countless people who post on this forum that are super helpful, friendly, and can walk you through the whole process...I am now one of them.

Anyway, one of your options is to get launcher pro from the market (as I was typing this I just realized it might be for root users only but search it anyway). That will give your phone a little more pep. If you really want to set yourself free, root your phone, overclock it through a new kernel and setcpu, go to the spare parts app and set your transition and window animations at fast.

One more thing slinky, you say that you shouldn't have to root to get good performance? pretty stubborn dude, why don't you wait around for Verizon, Motorola, or whoever to give you that performance. The rest of us will see you in maybe 10 years or so.

brando56894

Reaction score
Im going with what everyone else says, but after you root grab a froyo rom! it blows every 2.1 rom out of the water. I had like 20% battery left and underclocked to 400mhz and my linpack and quadrant scores were still destroying my friends stock droid incredible :D

cnmsales

Reaction score
I had the same problem and gripe w/ my droid. Just rooted and Overclocked two days ago and let me tell you the difference is amazing. My phone is now FASTER than any iphone or ipad I have played w/. Rooting and OC'ing is very easy and well worth the 30 minutes it takes to do it. If you decide to do it follow the steps listed here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613 Once you do this then all you have to do is download a custom rom. Id recomend kangerade as it is blazing fast.

bbohannon

Reaction score
+3 on rooting and overlcocking your droid. However I still think you should try installing launcher pro first as it is a very smooth home screen app.

Coming from someone with zero experience with changing a phone's system, I successfully overclocked my droid on froyo in a weekend. This phone is 10x faster!

slinky

Reaction score
You're hilarious slinky...no time and patience for rooting? Whatever. As someone who knows very little about computer stuff I found rooting and overclocking to be a fun, interesting, and highly educational experience that has made my phone's performance go absolutely through the roof. There are countless people who post on this forum that are super helpful, friendly, and can walk you through the whole process...I am now one of them.
My friend, you misunderstand. I LOVE that stuff. I build my own computers and know all about overclocking too. The problem is that I am insanely busy these days. I have no time and patience to have to undo everything for each Verizon update nor do I have the time to care about doing neat things with my phone. I barely have enough time to return emails. Each week I get a few thousand to deal with. :)

One more thing slinky, you say that you shouldn't have to root to get good performance? pretty stubborn dude, why don't you wait around for Verizon, Motorola, or whoever to give you that performance. The rest of us will see you in maybe 10 years or so.
Hey man, I'm with you. What I'm saying is that Moto shouldn't have crippled the phone a little in the first place, although I understand why they did. The Droid is weak on battery life (even though it's much better than the other pitiful Android devices that are way cool and fast but dead in mere hours.)

I spend too much time just trying to get the phone itself to work properly with K-9. I had a huge problem with k-9. I still use POP because I don't like deleting things off the server and I also like to have copies of all my emails in a non-remote location. I've got lag all over the place, swipes not working consistently so I can't answer the phone easily, etc. There are tons of things to love about Android and its potential but I need to spend that time getting the phone stock to work right. I really miss the days when I had the time and ability to have a phone to experiment with regularly. :)