Lag

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by jedi, Mar 12, 2012.

1. jedi

jedi New Member

I seem to be noticing this more (maybe its just starting to get under my skin, which it is) particularly when first turning on the display.
    I select an icon, Text for example, and it can literally take up to 3 seconds to actually open.

It gets better and appears to "wake up" so thinking it may have something to do with smart actions going from activated to inactivated.

I was using GO launcher and uninstalled that thinking it was the culprit. It was not. I also, relatively speaking, have a rather simple layout and few apps.

Are others experiencing response lag like this?
  2. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

The Razr is typically pretty snappy, so you have something going on there. Here is what I would do to trouble shoot the issue: Uninstall or force close all widgets that you have on our home screens...all of them. Disable all smart actions. Power off your phone. Reboot and see if the problem persist. If the problem does not persist then one of the widgets/apps you have running is causing the problem. Add them back one at a time until you find the culprit. If the problem persist then I'd recommend doing a factory reset to "clean" the system and get back to a fresh install.
    EDIT: There is one other thing you can try before you do a factory reset...go to menu>settings>applications>messages and clear data and cache. Then see if the problem persist.
  3. rpittillo

rpittillo New Member

Mine is too. And sometimes when I turn on my screen after being on 'standby' the screen will flash. But yeah the smart actions seem to put all icons and apps asleep. Do you loose your icon pics? Like DF on screen. Wake up my phone and pic will be blue square.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  4. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I noticed when I used Smart Actions I would have some lag either unlocking my screen for a brief second after the unlock. I stopped using and disabled Smart Actions and never seen the issue return.
  5. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

I don't use smart actions. From what you guys are saying it sounds as if smart actions may be the culprit.
  6. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Yeah it is kind of like the start-up folder on your computer, you have to know programs set to start as soon as the computer comes on will cause some slow down. Same thing here with SA, it is setup to do a certain list of things when the screen is activated. In my case it was turning WIFI, cell data, and background sync, so you have to image that will cause a small hiccup. Smart actions are great and can definitely make your battery last longer, just not worth it in the long run for me.
  7. Zandar

Zandar New Member

I don't have this issue running stock with GO Launcher. Try running without Smart Actions. Also, try restarting your phone. Do you have a lot of apps that use background services? Many apps are coded by special needs monkeys, it seems, so they really, really poorly use resources. If all else fails, restart in safe mode and see if that improves things. If it doesn't, you have an OS or hardware issue. The solutions there would be to reload the current ROM (see other threads on how to load up stock firmware) and see if that helps. If not, it's hardware and you'll need to do an exchange. These two things, though, are very unlikely.

What's more likely is that doing a safe mode restart will show marked improvement in response time. This means you got an app or two coded by aforementioned special needs monkeys. The best thing to do would be to install some monitoring software (aLogcat or something similar) to see what's misbehaving. If you lack the technical know-how for this, you can always do the failproof method: factory reset and re-install apps one by one. When you start to get your lag back, you know the last app installed is the culprit. Downside to this, though, is that it takes forever and is very labour intensive. I recommend getting to know aLogcat and then killing whatever apps are misbehaving (not via a TaskKiler; uninstall the bugers and find better apps, which you should be able to do with ~500,000 apps in the Play Store).

Happy hunting!