KVM switch for LG G6

Blackstack

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a KVM switch will work to output video to a DP computer monitor? I don't know if they make a KVM switch with a DP connection or not. If they do, can I use my phone along with an HDMI to DP converter? If I get one with HDMI, will a HDMI to DP converter allow me to operate my LG G6 with a USB mouse and keyboard and view it on my computer screen? If so, then how will I plug the DP cable from my tower into the KVM switch?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Maybe it would be a little easier to explain what your ultimate end game is..... Looks like you are trying to "Frankenstein" something.... lol

OP
B

Blackstack

Reaction score
Surfing the web (because half the sites I want to look at are locked down) at work and pushing one button to go back into work mode when I hear footsteps.... Dual monitor set-up, only need to view the G6 on one monitor.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Surfing the web (because half the sites I want to look at are locked down) at work and pushing one button to go back into work mode when I hear footsteps.... Dual monitor set-up, only need to view the G6 on one monitor.
Thats interesting..... I am sure it can be done just not sure what the best way to go about it would be...... I am wondering if more of a screencast/Chromecast type setup would be better.... Let me think on this on for a bit

OP
B

Blackstack

Reaction score
Thats interesting..... I am sure it can be done just not sure what the best way to go about it would be...... I am wondering if more of a screencast/Chromecast type setup would be better.... Let me think on this on for a bit

I thought of doing that too with a small Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo I have to operate the G6 but I'd rather use the full size keyboard and mouse.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
some people have had good experiences using samsungs DeX station on their lg phones. IMO, this would be the best setup since it can use regular keyboard/mouse and kvm switch.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
basically it is a dock that you plug your phone into and turn it into a computer. once you do that, you may be able to use kvm between the dock and your other computer. It is mainly for samsung phones but a quick search said that other phones may also work with it.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
basically it is a dock that you plug your phone into and turn it into a computer. once you do that, you may be able to use kvm between the dock and your other computer. It is mainly for samsung phones but a quick search said that other phones may also work with it.
Sorry I should of specified.. I'm very familiar with Dex but never heard of it working with a non Samsung device.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Blackstack

Reaction score
Sorry I should of specified.. I'm very familiar with Dex but never heard of it working with a non Samsung device.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just found out they have removed slimport functionality on the G6. Dammit!!! I figured all new smartphones would have this but evidently now the trend is to go away from it. So....this kind of leaves me with using Miracast. Can I plug the Miracast dongle into a KVM switch? I'd have to switch my tower and monitor from DP to HDMI on one monitor. I should be able to run one monitor with DP and my other monitor with HDMI correct?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
there seems to be other docks out there that work similar to DeX. not sure how good they are. as far as a miracast dongle on kvm - I doubt it will work.

OP
B

Blackstack

Reaction score
there seems to be other docks out there that work similar to DeX. not sure how good they are. as far as a miracast dongle on kvm - I doubt it will work.

And how exactly is any dock supposed to work with a G6 if the G6 no longer supports DP like the G5 did? Did you read your own article or just read the title of it and link to it?

Why won't a dongle work on a KVM switch? I'm willing to listen to anyone that has a reason why it won't but you're just speculating based on nothing.

OP
B

Blackstack

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Roku Streaming Stick instead of a Miracast Dongle. Roku supports casting and it would also work off of my hotspot to stream Netflix or Amazon Video. So, same price roughly with more options. I have an HDMI switch and I'll try that before I get a full blown KVM switch. Anyone got a better idea???

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
think about what a kvm switch is used for. normally it is to share several computers with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
And how exactly is any dock supposed to work with a G6 if the G6 no longer supports DP like the G5 did? Did you read your own article or just read the title of it and link to it?

Why won't a dongle work on a KVM switch? I'm willing to listen to anyone that has a reason why it won't but you're just speculating based on nothing.

have you seen the following.

Ditch Your Desktop! Turn Your Smartphone Into a Desktop Replacement