Ksoftirqd/0 causing constant 25-35% CPU usage

Viktorr

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with a process called ksoftirqd/0 keeping my processor at a constant 25-35% and draining my battery too quickly. I've done google searches on it but it turns up little to remedy the issue. I did get it to stop once because of a WIFI setting I had set in JuiceDefender was causing it. Was good for a couple days but it's back again, but for a different reason that I can't figure out. I haven't used WIFI for a couple days now so it's not that. Rebooting doesn't help. Nothing in the OSMonitor logs seems to be pointing to anything conclusive that I can understand. Anyone have any ideas? I'll see if I can upload the log if someone has something they can view it with.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
Viktorr

Viktorr

Reaction score
I guess what I'm needing to know is if there is a way to find out what exactly is causing ksoftirqd/0 to run.

EDIT: Attaching a screenshot of cat /proc/interrupts from terminal emulator on my phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Attachments

• snap20110220_022900.JPG
    snap20110220_022900.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 658
OP
Viktorr

Viktorr

Reaction score
Well, I still don't know what was causing it, but I SBFed my phone back to factory and rerooted / ROMed. Seems to be fine now but only did it a few hours ago so will see how it acts over the next few days.

OP
Viktorr

Viktorr

Reaction score
Well, after rebooting today due to not being able to download emails for some reason, the ksoftirqd/0 problem came back. Going to restore to stock / rooted and see if that clears things up. If not, I may have to SBF and stay unrooted, which will suck.

EDIT: Just finished up restoring back to stock / rooted and it's back to normal again. I wonder if something in the ROM (Squidly) or Theme (Kinda - Watermark'd) is causing the issue. Will see how things go again from here.

EDIT 2: Installed Liberty ROM with WatermarkD theme. Already see a difference in the dmesg and logcat logs. A lot less warnings (virtually none) and no errors except for buffer overflows so far. Everything seems to still be good so far.

OP
Viktorr

Viktorr

Reaction score
So far, so good with the Liberty ROM up to this point. Will give it a few more days before I decide to stick with it completely.

To Squidly: Loved your ROM and hope you continue to improve it, but if it contributed to my issues with my phone and battery life, I'll accept a lesser program (even Stock (*shudder*)) to get a better result.

I've got nothing against the Liberty ROM, but I do prefer Squidly's.