Ksoftirqd/0 causing constant 25-35% CPU usage

Discussion in 'Droid 2 Tech Issues' started by Viktorr, Feb 19, 2011.

  1. Viktorr

    Viktorr Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm having an issue with a process called ksoftirqd/0 keeping my processor at a constant 25-35% and draining my battery too quickly. I've done google searches on it but it turns up little to remedy the issue. I did get it to stop once because of a WIFI setting I had set in JuiceDefender was causing it. Was good for a couple days but it's back again, but for a different reason that I can't figure out. I haven't used WIFI for a couple days now so it's not that. Rebooting doesn't help. Nothing in the OSMonitor logs seems to be pointing to anything conclusive that I can understand. Anyone have any ideas? I'll see if I can upload the log if someone has something they can view it with.

    Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
     
  2. Dave12308

    Dave12308 Silver Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2009
    Messages:
    3,253
    Likes Received:
    50
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Ratings:
    +50
  3. Viktorr

    Viktorr Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess what I'm needing to know is if there is a way to find out what exactly is causing ksoftirqd/0 to run.

    EDIT: Attaching a screenshot of cat /proc/interrupts from terminal emulator on my phone.

    Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Viktorr

    Viktorr Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I still don't know what was causing it, but I SBFed my phone back to factory and rerooted / ROMed. Seems to be fine now but only did it a few hours ago so will see how it acts over the next few days.
     
  5. nerdslogic

    nerdslogic Silver Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,531
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    103
    Location:
    Cybertron
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's odd.....keep us posted.
     
  6. Viktorr

    Viktorr Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, after rebooting today due to not being able to download emails for some reason, the ksoftirqd/0 problem came back. Going to restore to stock / rooted and see if that clears things up. If not, I may have to SBF and stay unrooted, which will suck.

    EDIT: Just finished up restoring back to stock / rooted and it's back to normal again. I wonder if something in the ROM (Squidly) or Theme (Kinda - Watermark'd) is causing the issue. Will see how things go again from here.

    EDIT 2: Installed Liberty ROM with WatermarkD theme. Already see a difference in the dmesg and logcat logs. A lot less warnings (virtually none) and no errors except for buffer overflows so far. Everything seems to still be good so far.
     
  7. Viktorr

    Viktorr Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    83
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Ratings:
    +2
    So far, so good with the Liberty ROM up to this point. Will give it a few more days before I decide to stick with it completely.

    To Squidly: Loved your ROM and hope you continue to improve it, but if it contributed to my issues with my phone and battery life, I'll accept a lesser program (even Stock (*shudder*)) to get a better result.

    I've got nothing against the Liberty ROM, but I do prefer Squidly's.
     
Search tags for this page
android ksoftirqd
,
android ksoftirqd high cpu
,
ksoftirq process
,

ksoftirqd

,
ksoftirqd android
,
ksoftirqd cpu load redhat 6.3
,
ksoftirqd ð°ð½ð´ñ€ð¾ð¸ð´
,
ksoftirqd/0
,
ksoftirqd/0 android
,
ksoftirqd+cpu usage