KRACK Kills! Or At Least It Will Compromise All Your Wifi Traffic!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Oct 16, 2017.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,234
    [​IMG]

Security researchers have found a way to decrypt WPA 2 Wi-Fi security protocol. The KRACK hack (Key Re-installation Attacks) are apparently exceptionally devastating against Linux and Android 6.0 or higher, but can affect all Wi-Fi devices. According to researchers it is "trivial" to intercept and manipulate traffic sent by Linux and Android devices. This leaves about 41% of Android devices open to this "exceptionally devastating" version of the attack.

You will want to stay away from Wi-fi until your OEM sends out an update patching KRACK for your device. Manufacturers of routers are already sending out patch updates. Even things like Wi-Fi cameras can be compromised enabling someone to tap into a live feed of cameras in your home. To remain as safe as possible you should avoid using all Wi-Fi devices until they have been patched.

If you must use wifi use encrypted sites and VPNs. Also be sure you are using https instead of http. There are even browser extensions that can add that s to all of your surfing.

via Krackattacks.com

Attached Files:

2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,586
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Compromise ALL traffic?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3. me just sayin

me just sayin Gold Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +996
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    fortunately they have to be in wifi range to get you. hopefully you can trust your neighbors.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,586
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Most of my neighbors are good people that I trust with the keypad to my garage door remote. The few I don't know well are not smart enough to hack my WiFi. This is what I don't get about these vulnerabilities, articles like this say "don't use WiFi..." etc. and will probably scare the crap out of some people. As you stated, the hacker has to be within range of your WiFi signal to pull this off. And they have to know how to employ the hack, and have the equipment to pull it off. I have a better chance of winning the next Powerball than I do of someone hacking my home WiFi. Now...with that being said, I would avoid unknown public WiFi unless they are clearly advertising that their WiFi equipment has been patched. As a general rule of thumb I never connect my phone to public WiFi, too many unknowns.

#4 Sajo, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RETG

RETG Active Member

Ratings:
    +95
    My neighbors are not close enough and never come over. They drive by and see Tahoes and Suburbans with US government "J" plates in the driveway so I'm assuming they don't want to visit me. :DBut it is a great way to keep isolated from nosy the neighbors.:eek:
    However, I also do not use public WIFI. I'll stick to Verizon 4G or my home WIFI system.

6. me just sayin

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +996
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    the only time I use public wifi is when the mobile signal is unusable and these days it is few and far between.

7. me just sayin

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +996
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
  8. bld522

bld522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto G3
  9. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,586
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for sharing. It's all kind of the same stuff, no matter who we quote. What they are not saying in any of these articles is what I have said a few times...

The hacker would have to be within range of your WiFi signal, have the technology to employ the hack, and the sophistication to know how to do it, and a reason to pick your WiFi over every other wifi signal in the area. I know it's scary and dangerous....but so is driving to work every day. I still think we all have a better chance of winning the lottery than actually being hacked.

• Like Like x 1
  10. michael.anderson007

michael.anderson007 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    I have always been reluctant to use public WIFI.

11. me just sayin

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +996
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    what I find interesting is a lot of companies are not creating a fix for this at this time. they feel it is not that big of a threat because of how hard it is to do.

12. bld522

bld522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto G3
    Thanks, Sajo. The notion that Android 6.0 is possibly the most vulnerable platform to a KRACK attack is concerning. That's why I posted the Ars Technica article. It just seems as if every time I turn around, sensitive information is being hacked and security protocols are being demolished. I'm currently involved in at least three catastrophic data breaches . . . one from one of the largest providers of web-based email, one from one of the largest providers of health insurance, and one from one of the largest credit monitoring companies on the planet. At least two of these will result in class-action lawsuits if not all three. How much longer will it be before the term "data security" becomes an oxymoron? Or are we there already?

Search tags for this page

azs

best cameras
news