1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Koush or BB 0.8 ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrvogt, Mar 14, 2010.

1. mrvogt

mrvogt New Member

i was going to go with the BB 0.8 to get to 2.1. But I've noticed people saying good things about the Koush ROM. Anybody willing to offer a comparison between the two?

Thanks
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Different people like different things, why not try both?
  3. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I had real problems with Koush's ROM and BB was nice...but a few small glitches I could not stand.

Others would disagree with me totally...maybe it is a hardware thing...maybe some Droids run certain ROMs better than others.

For me...Adamz's Smoked Glass ROMs have always worked the best. his new 6.0 is sweet!
  4. topaz330

topaz330 New Member

tried them all, and ended up staying with kouch. i love the new launcher 2 with the 3d app drawer. only problem is that it seems to eat too much battery at idle which i hope is fixed on the next update
  5. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I tried it last night and found it slower than SS2.02 and hotter as well. It was 5-10 degrees hotter than SS2.02 while browsing this site for 5-10 minutes. I had fits getting it off the Droid due to actually following Koush's instructions and installing Clockwork recovery. The backup that Clockwork made of my system prior to the CM install would not work when I tried to restore. Took a while to get out and back to Simply Stunning 2.02

CM does as advertised though. It lets you run live wallpapers (I don't think I could care less about LW) and, most importantly to some folks, it let's you run Launcher2.1 at the same time. It's just that neither of those are important to me. YMMV.
  6. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Koush's roms has things that now other rom has right now. For starters a workable 2.1 launcher with the correct scale in landscape of the app draw. LED notifications even if the screen is on. Auto rotation no matter what way you have the phone. It can take themes that are meant for the Nexus One.

For anyone looking to try Koush's rom it is pretty simple with using two apps.

To flash clockwork use ROM Manager in the Market. This will get the recovery image flashed for you and also flash the rom for you.

If you try it and don't like it use DM updater at Droidmod to flash back to sprecovery. Then you can load back you existing backups and ROMS.

There really isn't a reason not to try any rom out. Try them all and go from there. You can't ask what everbody else thinks, cause we all like different things and that is the beauty of Android.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  7. unix.punkx

unix.punkx New Member

I say try them both and see which one suits you better.

+1 for Koush's IMO
  8. pthance

pthance New Member

Koush's pull of CyanogenMod is great. Besides, what self respecting developer names a product bugless.

Some of this guys words pulled direct from Alldroid:
    "Please note, there are going to be some new rules....
    1. When posting issues you MUST include your current setup: (if you do not your post will be deleted)

2. If you ask a question that can be answered by reading my original post, it will be deleted.

Also note, this ROM is COMPLETELY STABLE as is! My ROMs have thousands of users, if you are experiencing an issue, most likely you did something wrong."

I only have two words to describe how this makes me feel about him lol. Facist & Arrogant.

So now that I've signed my own forum death warrant for not drinking the kool-aid, I'll sign off.
  9. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Using Koush's CyanogenMod and loving it. This is the longest I have been on one ROM since my phone was rooted. I have been on the 2.0.1 BB, Smoked Glass (which by far my second choice), DroidMod, SS, Boostdscoob's ROM, Pete's ESE53 ROMS.

This has been the most stable for me and the most 'bugless.' For anyone who tried this ROM in the recent past, there were a couple versions 5.0.4 and 5.0.4.1 and 1.0.3 that accidentally had JIT enabledwhich was causing soft reboots and other problems. If you tried it during this time, try it again.

Things that make this ROM a winner for me, working 2.1 launcher with no FC's for once. The 2.1 launcher lets you dock 4 applications in the bottom with it. Landscape works, auto brightness works, long press on the launcher and it shows the quick preview of all the screens, tap what screen you want and you are there. The kernel that is included by bekit is very very cool and fast at 1GHz, he is currently working on up to 1.2GHz.

As I mentioned above, longest I have been on a ROM, don't see any reason why I would switch.
  10. RoLa

RoLa New Member

Question For Clockwork..(sorry guys I know this is a comparison thread, not Q & A)
    When you are in Clockwork recovery, do the actions perform the same as SPRecovery? i.e. volume keys/d-pad =up,down..center of d-pad/camera key=select
    I tried this and nothing would select
  11. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Well the camera buttons will scroll up and down along with the Dpad, but to enter you actually have to use the keyboard's enter button, not the camera key or dpad center...took me a minute to figure that out.
  12. RoLa

RoLa New Member

Great Thanks!
  13. taward09

taward09 New Member

No, the camera/d-pad doesn't select. It's the (enter) key on the keyboard. I had to figure that one out on my own, but I'm glad I did. This Koush/Cyanogen's ROM is stunningly amazing. Works perfectly, even in landscape, no FC's, 4 shortcuts on the bottom (which made it for me), and more customization than you know. You can even adjust animation speeds for switching apps AND animations inside apps. Plus it's overclocked and on (may or may not, I think it's footprinted) ERE25, which apparently allows some apps to be used from the market. This is no doubt the best ROM I've used so far.
    [Edit]
    It seems someone else already answered you. I should read more thoroughly.
  14. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

Camero or Ferrari ?

BB is ok I ran it for a while then switched to Simply Stunning , then blackdroid,and back to SS I'm currently running Koush's Cyanogen 5.0.4.2 and LOVE IT.

Koush's Cyanogen has:
    the 2.1 launcher with 4 shortcuts and 3D app drawer, 7screens and WORKING LIVE WALLPAPERS

the 360 degree rotation is pretty cool. you can turn the phone what ever direction and the home screen will stay orientated.

the fact that when you press the power button to turn off your phone has an option to reboot. I've seen that with any other roms I have used

-=jason=-
  15. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

No, you must use the d-pad.