****kook's never ending theme log****

Status
Not open for further replies.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok....so now that I have 4 themes knocked out, I think it's time to get some of this info to up and coming themers or people just interested in modifying your phones.

My idea (sneaky_zekey helped me come up with it) is to take my time and build a theme for personal use. Every step along the way, I'm going to include a change long, instructions and screen shots on how I made the changes and screenshots of the actual changes.

This will accomplish a couple things....I'll be able to remember how I made the changes and hopefully answer some of your questions as to how it was done.

A couple things...

1. This thread will not be open for discussion. Although I welcome questions, I don't want this thread cluttered with them. I want it to be nice and organized so people can find the information.

If you have a question or suggestion, I will make another thread available to do so. :D

2. I'll put updated zips as I go along in case anyone wants to apply the theme or pull it apart and see what's inside. Remember, it will most likely be incomplete for a few weeks, but you all will be more than welcome to it.

3. This theme will only be made for the ROM I am running at the time. Right now my flavor of choice is UD, so if you want to run this theme, it will have to be that particular ROM.

4. I am not going to put up how to's for setting up this such as apk manager or eclipse. I may put up links to the originating threads for you to learn, but all the information will be under the assumption that you already have that done.

Discussion thread is located here.

Last edited:
OP
kook

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
kook

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok....

So remember, this is not a thread to learn HOW to set up the programs to theme. It's to let you guys know how I set my themes up and the process of actually doing it. If you want help learning how to set everything up.... This is a great place to start....

http://www.jbthemes.com/AndroidThemeingGuide/The%20Ultimate%20Android%20Themeing%20Guide.pdf

I first start by thinking of a color scheme. From my previous threads, you know that I get the help of the community to decide the colors I'll be working with. In this case, I decided on a Brown/Tan color as there are not many around.

I use an online HEX color chart to help me choose the actual colors.

There are literally hundreds of sites, a quick google of "hex color chart" will help you find them, but the one in this link is my favorite.

The HEX colors I'll be using are

Brown = FF300000
Tan = FFCDAA7D

I decompile framework-res.apk in Apk Manager 4.8. 4.9 is out, but I haven't delved into it yet. There are some nice new features, but I like to use what I know works. I'm sure I'll get to it soon. Apk Manager 4.9 can be found here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695701

These are the xmls we are interested in changing.
res-values.jpg

Open colors.xml with Notepad and change the following codes in red from #FF000000 to #FF300000.

What this does is change the Black backgrounds and Black font colors to Brown. It doesn't change all of the black fonts, just the primary ones.

Change the following in Blue from #FFFFFFFF to #FFCDAA7D. This changes all the white background and text to Tan.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<resources>
    <color name="darker_gray">#ffaaaaaa</color>
    <color name="white">#ffffffff</color>
    <color name="black">#ff000000</color>
    <color name="transparent">#00000000</color>
    <color name="background_dark">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</color>
    <color name="background_light">[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]#ffffffff[/B][/COLOR]</color>
    <color name="safe_mode_text">#80ffffff</color>
    <color name="bright_foreground_dark">[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]#ffffffff[/B][/COLOR]</color>
    <color name="bright_foreground_dark_disabled">#80ffffff</color>
    <color name="bright_foreground_dark_inverse">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_dark">#ffbebebe</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_dark_disabled">#80bebebe</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_dark_inverse">#ff323232</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_dark_inverse_disabled">#80323232</color>
    <color name="hint_foreground_dark">#ff808080</color>
    <color name="bright_foreground_light">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</color>
    <color name="bright_foreground_light_inverse">[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]#ffffffff[/B][/COLOR]</color>
    <color name="bright_foreground_light_disabled">#80000000</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_light">#ff323232</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_light_disabled">#80323232</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_light_inverse">#ffbebebe</color>
    <color name="dim_foreground_light_inverse_disabled">#80bebebe</color>
    <color name="hint_foreground_light">#ff808080</color>
    <color name="lighter_gray">#ffdddddd</color>
    <color name="perms_dangerous_grp_color">#ffdd6826</color>
    <color name="perms_dangerous_perm_color">#ffdd6826</color>
    <color name="shadow">#cc222222</color>
    <color name="search_url_text_normal">#ff7fa87f</color>
    <item type="color" name="search_url_text_selected">@color/black</item>
    <item type="color" name="search_url_text_pressed">@color/black</item>
    <item type="color" name="search_widget_corpus_item_background">@color/lighter_gray</item>
    <item type="color" name="sliding_tab_text_color_active">@color/black</item>
    <item type="color" name="sliding_tab_text_color_shadow">@color/black</item>
    <color name="keyguard_text_color_normal">#ffffffff</color>
    <color name="keyguard_text_color_unlock">#ffa7d84c</color>
    <color name="keyguard_text_color_soundoff">#ffffffff</color>
    <color name="keyguard_text_color_soundon">#ffe69310</color>
    <color name="keyguard_text_color_decline">#fffe0a5a</color>
    <color name="config_defaultNotificationColor">#ff00ff00</color>
</resources>
Open drawables.xml and change the following as well.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<resources>
    <item type="drawable" name="alert_dark_frame">@drawable/popup_full_dark</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="alert_light_frame">@drawable/popup_full_bright</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="dialog_frame">@drawable/panel_background</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="editbox_dropdown_dark_frame">@drawable/editbox_dropdown_background_dark</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="editbox_dropdown_light_frame">@drawable/editbox_dropdown_background</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="menu_frame">@drawable/menu_background</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="menu_full_frame">@drawable/menu_background_fill_parent_width</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="stat_notify_sync_noanim">@drawable/stat_notify_sync_anim0</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="stat_sys_download_done">@drawable/stat_sys_download_anim0</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="stat_sys_upload_done">@drawable/stat_sys_upload_anim0</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="screen_background_dark">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="screen_background_light">[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]#ffffffff[/B][/COLOR]</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="screen_background_dark_transparent">#80000000</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="screen_background_light_transparent">#80ffffff</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="status_bar_closed_default_background">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="status_bar_opened_default_background">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="search_bar_default_color">[COLOR=Red][B]#ff000000[/B][/COLOR]</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="safe_mode_background">#60000000</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="input_method_fullscreen_background">#fff9f9f9</item>
    <item type="drawable" name="selected_day_background">#ff0092f4</item>
</resources>
That's it....compile it, zip it, upload it, install it.

The zip will be in the second post so you can download and take it apart if you like. Remember, if you like what you see or enjoy my Themes, please donate!

Here's a look at some of what it changes....

CAP201009240851.jpg
CAP201009240955.jpg

CAP2010092409551.jpg
CAP2010092409552.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.