known battery sucking apps?

Discussion in 'Project Elite' started by dlnp22, Jan 21, 2011.

1. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

Does anyone know first hand of apps that tend to suck the battery dry(running in the background, ASAP)?

I had spectacular battery life in prior updates, but with this latest, I'm struggling to get a full 12 hours without having to charge(moderate use- email, fb, twitter, etc).

Any known culprits out there? Would be cool to start a list to hang on to :)
  2. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

It's probably not an app. More than likely your GPS is searching for your location but can't find it or you are dropping 3g and its trying to find it. Or wifi. If your phone is contantly searching for something, it will drain the crap out of your battery.
  3. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

Hmmm..maybe that's it. Don't use alot of wifi, but COULD be searching for 3G that's killing me. I see a whooooooole lot o' "1x".
  4. mxnut

mxnut New Member

I agree that the GPS does use the battery which is why when I am home I use wifi. Another culprit for me has been email. It goes out searching for emails at the intervals you set. I have found with my phone that setting the check frequency interval to never has increased my battery life. I check emails at my choosing and it works for me.
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'm not running this ROM so this may not apply, but for some reason I see Beautiful Widgets come up on my phones battery usage a bit excessively.
  6. Firewing

Firewing New Member

in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
    I second that, beautiful widgets sucks my battery down....fancy widget pro doesn't and it is almost the same thing...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

hmm....I've been running BW for an eternity....Let me get rid of it and see what happens.
  8. mxnut

mxnut New Member

I run BW as well but have changed my setup to only use the small weather and it only updates every hour which has also helped. I still had 50% when I put on the charger last night after numerous phone calls in and out of 3G service, emails and downloading.
  9. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

I'm assuming you mean Gmail for your email usage. But if you're using the stock email client (not Gmail, just the normal email app), too frequent of server pollings will make your battery drop like a rock.
  10. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

Actually, both :) Gmail and regular email. On the regular email account, I've got 3 POP email accts polling once an hour(each).

Just once an hour- think this is hurting me? I read somewhere there was a way to get gmail to pull in other POP accts(read: yahoo, etc). Anybody have experience with that? Does it pull all emails from all accts into one inbox? I'd HATE that.....
  11. mxnut

mxnut New Member

I was referring to the normal email app. It was set to poll our corporate server every hour and battery life was horrible. Now it is set for never and it has helped a lot. I just check whenever I choose.

I read somewhere too that you can have your gmail account "push" your other accounts and it is supposed to help with battery life. I haven't tried it because my change to manual email check and going to the smaller BW weather has me getting plenty of usage time the way it is.
  12. mxnut

mxnut New Member

Wow! Gotta believe that would use some battery
  13. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

You can migrate emails and contacts from other accounts(definitely Yahoo), but to get yahoo emails pushed to gmail, you have to have a premium yahoo account.....meh.

I've deleted 2 of my 3 yahoo accts and moved the remaining to poll once an hour...........let's see............
Search tags for this page
android app to run battery down
android index service sucking battery
androids apps that suck battery
apps that suck battery
apps that suck battery life

battery sucking apps

fancy widget battery drain

fancy widget drains battery
fancy widgets battery drain
how tomshut down all battery sucking apps on phone
what apps on my gs3 is sucking the battery dry