Known apps to cause Droid to be sluggish.

Kdubbjr

Reaction score
nothing...why dont people get yet that atk is not necessary on your droid...force closing apps goes against the phones natural processes causing it to slow down by reopening and such...no reason to force close anything except for the placebo effect you get that your phone is running faster bc your closing it when in fact it does the opposite...you close apps yourself when u back off them and your phone will close apps on its own and if an app is not being used its in a paused state using zero resources until it is opened again...thats how android works now stop forcing it to do what its not meant to...atk is not needed for droids...at all

Chris:
Every VZW rep I have spoken with tells me to run ATK because it improves the battery life by shutting down unused tasks. Are you saying that this information in incorrect? As you know, the Droid is a power hog, and anything I can do to help extend the battery between charges is important.

Yes that information is dead wrong! Most vzw reps have no clue about what they are selling...some of them actually carry the device but most of them receive info from customers. Someone comes back for a case after a week of owning it, they heard ATK was good, they are using it much like everyone that first gets their droid.....so yes you received false information!

Whoa I never knew this either...I'll uninstall and see if it improves my phone

chris420o

Reaction score
Gentle thank you for being so quick in your response you took the words out of my mouth...trust me we by reading these forums know way more than your local verizon tech at the store who sit and assume...the guy told my gf to dl atk bc is the only way to totally close your browser and will slow the phone...now really bc closing all ur windows and maybe having just google in a paused unused state will slow down the phone? Simply idiotic...I told her don't dl atk if this was a necessary function our 500 dollar phone would have it stock so don't trust a guy over the next bc he has a red shirt on

chris420o

Reaction score
Matthew my first droid I atkilled the ish out of it and when I used my cousins n sisters it seemed ten times faster...I got a replacement never touched atk and couldn't be happier with my phones performance

M

Matth3w

I have certain programs that I use all the time on exception...I only close the programs out that I'm not using, like Movies, Sports, etc.

gentlefury

Reaction score
I have certain programs that I use all the time on exception...I only close the programs out that I'm not using, like Movies, Sports, etc.

I use home ++ task manager to spot kill apps that I don't want running that will not restart themselves...such as pandora when it acts up....but kill all just made things crash a lot.

J5311

Reaction score
pandahome was killing my phone. for example my droid would freeze and stop working, and also was extremely slow at times. although I really liked it I had to uninstall because it was just not stable. It is 10x better now back to stock

droidbound

Reaction score
Sluggish Droid

Wow - I was going crazy about how my Droid had slowed down. Going back to the home screen from the browser or Google maps, it would 30 seconds for the widgets and app shortcuts to load and it was basically unresponsive during that time.
I stumbled upon a comment on another forum and tried this:
Go to Settings>Display and disable all animations.
Amazing difference! Now my Droid is as snappy as it was fresh out of the box!
And so far I do not see any other difference in the UI, nothing I am missing out on. dancedroid

wtpclc

Reaction score
Forgive me, but I cannot find "launcher 2.1". Is it the same as Go Launcher?

Panda Home's latest upgrade is driving me insane, so launcher 2.1 sound like just the thing.

kfjrusa

Reaction score
Atk

I have tried ATK because the people at Uscelluar suggested it to me. I have since found a much better program for killing unwanted apps. It is ES Task Manager. As with any program like this. Always kill the task killer along with the other programs. It will greatly increase the speed of your droid phone. Another program that I use, is Memory Booster. This can be customized to only show the programs that you want to kill. That way your not killing the important programs that the phone needs to run. Even if you do kill these programs. The phone will restart them again with no problems. Even with using these programs. You will have to do a battery pull once in awhile. It is a bug with android phones. Just pull the battery while the phone is turned on. Put the battery back in and start the phone. This will get rid of the ghost in the phone that remain when a program is shut down. Hopefully this will help. :)

Okay, I just thought of something, and figured I better add to this before I get yelled at. :) The task killers are okay in my opinion. As long as they are being used for added applications. I have several apps that I have installed that do not shut down when I close them out. Yes, I know this is a problem with the development of these apps. There are also a couple of standard apps that come with the OS that I do not use, and do not need to be stored in the memory at all times. So, I close these apps too. Granted the ones that are standard will turn back on once I make a phone call, but I just go back in and close them again when I am done. By doing these steps, I have all but eliminated the hang up with running the apps that I do use.

One last side note. I have a fast reboot program that I also use. I will normally try this before I use a task killer. If I have tried the fast reboot, the task killer, and still find that my phone is lagging bad. I will do a battery pull like I mentioned earlier, and that has always solved the problem for me.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Let the phone do what it was designed to do, manage the apps in memory - by itself.
Doesn't need any help from us.
;)

Apps in memory are not necessarily running, they are loaded in case they are needed.
Swype isn't running until I pull keyboard usage.
The phone is smarter about allocating its memory than we are.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
having the same issues on my droid. just removed ATK and i'll monitor my phone's performance to see how it works out. if no difference i'll put ATK back on.

estafusisx

Reaction score
Unless you use atk alot (or wrongly) you may not notice a difference in speed by uninstalling but it will make your phone more stable and it sure wont hurt. I keep it installed in case i need to kill a "rogue" app but i always make sure it doesn't start on boot up and i disable the auto kill. Always.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App