Knowing You're Getting a Clean Droid

nygh

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum fr this type of question, if not, mods, please move!

So about a month or so ago, my Droid got destroyed. Been trying to find a new one ever since.

I think I finally found a good deal in my area. Almost too good. The seller said he'll take $175 for his week old droid, an extra battery and an extra charger.

I've already told him that I would like to meet at a Verizon wireless store, to make sure it has a clean ESN, because I've heard talk about that. But why is this a preventative measure? Is to check to see if the phone is stolen, or is it to see if there is outstanding bills to be paid on the phone's serial number?

I'm just trying to see this thing through the correct lens. Is there any other way I might be getting scammed that someone could make me aware of?

ryguy5254

Reaction score
what the hell is your question, seems like you answered your own question

jimbowattz

Reaction score
Just get the ESN from him over the phone, call VZW customer service and have them run a quick check. If it comes back clean, meet up with him anywhere (doesn't have to be at VZW) and make sure that the ESN on the phone matches the one you checked. You should be good to go.

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
Just get the ESN from him over the phone, call VZW customer service and have them run a quick check. If it comes back clean, meet up with him anywhere (doesn't have to be at VZW) and make sure that the ESN on the phone matches the one you checked. You should be good to go.

So its basically just to see if the phone is...what? Stolen? Outstanding payments associated with it?

Reaction score
Actually it checks for both, however if the phone isn't reported stolen till AFTER the ESN check you might be screwed (I read another thread a few weeks back where this happened to someone).

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Go to the verizon store so that the esn being clean is confirmed and ive heard of people getting clean droids but when they go to activate it verizon won't activate it without permission from the original owner. To be on the safe side just go to the verizon store.

Fault

Reaction score
I agree about meeting at vzw store, always just be safe. Its a public location, less likely ull get robbed. Also vzw can check the phone for u. Remember in the us, if u have bought stolen equipment, u can get it repossessed without getting the money back

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
they can check the ESN in the store, if it comes back clean you can hand the dude the cash and have them activate it on the spot for you... makes things nice and smooth.

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
okay sounds good, thanks for the help!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've already told him that I would like to meet at a Verizon wireless store, to make sure it has a clean ESN, because I've heard talk about that. But why is this a preventative measure?
So you can make sure that you can activate it. Kinda important unless you want a Droid equivalent of the iPod Touch.

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
I've already told him that I would like to meet at a Verizon wireless store, to make sure it has a clean ESN, because I've heard talk about that. But why is this a preventative measure?
So you can make sure that you can activate it. Kinda important unless you want a Droid equivalent of the iPod Touch.

To piggyback off of this....I probably wont have it activated immediately...

Whats this thing gonna look like only with wifi? Will I still be able to access android market? Will I be able to redownload apps that I have paid for from the android market? Will all the apps work on wifi?

Reaction score
Yes you will be fine on wifi. ESN is specific to VZW activation. If the phone isn't "clean" ie outstanding bill on the phone or it was stolen then you just wont have access to VZW's network for phone and data....your wifi will still work fine.