Know it's way too early for complaints, BUT..what would you CHANGE on the Droid?

Hector1959

Reaction score
Maybe bigger icons and a wider screen.
Also when using actual keyboard it should be centered so when placing thumbs over keyboard thumbs should be aligned already. Lots of mistyping because of this, I feel like I have to reach over with my right thumb to type.
Other than that I really like the phone. Still in the 30 days trial and if Verizion comes out with the HTC Passion within my time frame I may have to think it over. I hope they do come out with it so I can compare and make a decision.

Droid Out!!!

OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
Coming from the LG Voyager, I thought I would use the physical kb more, but honestly, I like typing with one hand in virtual (strange as I've never had a BB)....I also hardly ever make any errors on the virtual. The physical needs work and am so trying to decide right now if I return it and wait until Droid 2 comes out by June10 or stick out and then replace it when LTE comes out. I doubt they'll have the rebate for the Droid 2, but it just has too many bugs.

Camera: as does everybody
Camera button: I'm constantly pressing it
Power button: Why do I have to press this to unlock the screen
Orientation: Maybe I'm just slow, but I keep turning the phone the wrong way in landscape.

I do like the phone, however, but just know it can be so much better....and with the virtual kb easy to use for me....I hardly see me using the physical in the future. The Android 2.0 is what I like more than the actual Droid phone itself. So...do I return or not? UGGGGGHHH!!!

D

DroidMastar

Umm it is not weird that you rotate the phone the wrong way since you are coming from the voyager, doesn't it open the opposite way?

I have never mistakingly pressed the Camera Button Since owning the phone... But if you do it on this phone I'm sure you have done it on other phones because it's not in a place that's any differnet than the voyager.

Camera... the damn thing is a phone first camera second... don't expect a Sony Cyber Shot Camera...

Now the power button I can agree with you on... Not why you have to press it though... It seems the location of it is kinda awkward... but i guess it's made that way so you don't inadvertently press it.

You are willing to take this phone back and go back to the Voyager... They don't even make Voyager's anymore. Atleast get an EnVTouch... sheesh

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
Umm it is not weird that you rotate the phone the wrong way since you are coming from the voyager, doesn't it open the opposite way?

I have never mistakingly pressed the Camera Button Since owning the phone... But if you do it on this phone I'm sure you have done it on other phones because it's not in a place that's any differnet than the voyager.

Camera... the damn thing is a phone first camera second... don't expect a Sony Cyber Shot Camera...

Now the power button I can agree with you on... Not why you have to press it though... It seems the location of it is kinda awkward... but i guess it's made that way so you don't inadvertently press it.

You are willing to take this phone back and go back to the Voyager... They don't even make Voyager's anymore. Atleast get an EnVTouch... sheesh
Well I do relaize that it's a phone first...but your camera may be able to take good pictures, but I'm unable to do so with mine...of course I don't expect it to take D-SLR pictures, but at least do what it's being sold as. If you bought a new BMW and the radio sounds like a walkman....would you still be happy? Because as you say...'it's a car first'.
I never said I'd be willing to go back to the Voyager...I just want to get the best value for the phone I'm paying for. We all know 1st generation technology always have bugs (eg Storm 1 users) ..I was willing to deal with that with the Droid....but when the CEO of Motorola and VZW say that they're coming out with a new one by June 2010....you have to decide. As I've stated in this forum before...I would be highly pissed if the Droid 2 were to come out with LTE technology. With purchasing this Droid, my logic is to use this until a decent LTE phone comes out (hopefully early 2011) and then use my NE2.
Some things you have to consider though....I don't think that Droid 2 will have a $100 rebate and LTE is not expected to go national until late 2011.

Now in your 2nd to last sentence you talk about the power button being in an akward place "so you don't inadvertently press it"...That's just it with me and the camera button.....I'm sure I can't be the only one that is doing this. It never happened with my Voyage because I never used the virtual kb.

This is an open forum where people can give their opinions in a respectful manner....this includes complaints, pet peeves and total dislikes regarding the Droid.
At the end of the day though, I'm going to keep this Droid and probably hand-it-down to one of my siblings if the Droid 2 (or better phone) comes out next year and use their NE2.

D

DroidMastar

Well I do relaize that it's a phone first...but your camera may be able to take good pictures, but I'm unable to do so with mine...of course I don't expect it to take D-SLR pictures, but at least do what it's being sold as. If you bought a new BMW and the radio sounds like a walkman....would you still be happy? Because as you say...'it's a car first'.
I never said I'd be willing to go back to the Voyager...I just want to get the best value for the phone I'm paying for. We all know 1st generation technology always have bugs (eg Storm 1 users) ..I was willing to deal with that with the Droid....but when the CEO of Motorola and VZW say that they're coming out with a new one by June 2010....you have to decide. As I've stated in this forum before...I would be highly pissed if the Droid 2 were to come out with LTE technology. With purchasing this Droid, my logic is to use this until a decent LTE phone comes out (hopefully early 2011) and then use my NE2.
Some things you have to consider though....I don't think that Droid 2 will have a $100 rebate and LTE is not expected to go national until late 2011.

Now in your 2nd to last sentence you talk about the power button being in an akward place "so you don't inadvertently press it"...That's just it with me and the camera button.....I'm sure I can't be the only one that is doing this. It never happened with my Voyage because I never used the virtual kb.

This is an open forum where people can give their opinions in a respectful manner....this includes complaints, pet peeves and total dislikes regarding the Droid.
At the end of the day though, I'm going to keep this Droid and probably hand-it-down to one of my siblings if the Droid 2 (or better phone) comes out next year and use their NE2.
All opinions... subject to scrutiny.

I could have been more helpful but you saying, "So do I return it...?"
I felt a need to answer your question, but in a "Build a bridge and get over it" kind of way of course. :icon_ devil:

I guess I could have just replied:
Use your phone to get used to your phone... Technical issues, I recommend taking it back to the dealer. :D
Like I mentioned, if your coming from a Voyager you might be used to dealing with that POS phone(that i also owned at one point).

cmacv

Reaction score
The keyboard should look like this!

droidb.jpg

By null at 2010-03-06:icon_ banana:

NVash

Reaction score
Id be on that skin in a minute if it was for sale somewhere. Though looking at it I can see theres no way the phone would work right with it.

Whats this about a Droid 2 by June?

slinky

Reaction score
1. Better Keyboard without dpad
2. Better speaker so people don't sound like they are in a tunnel
3. Camera - 'nuff said
4. Battery life - something must be done or just make it slightly larger
5. Allow more control by user non-rooted, e.g. under/overclocking apps as needed

slayda

Reaction score
I need more volume on the ear speaker. I can hear fine with earphones or on speaker phone but even with max volume & quiet surrounds, I can barely hear through the ear speaker. (Note: I am slightly hard of hearing.)

Magdroid

Reaction score
I would change the keyboard, and have a better microphone so people can hear me better. That's all.

GSC

Reaction score
Few Complaints - Except QWERTY Keyboard

I've been using my Moto Droid since November. So far, I'm impressed that a 1st generation anything works so well out of the box. I really wonder if the QWERTY keyboard is needed. I find I only use the soft keyboards. Almost never open the slider. Maybe Moto should make Verizon a new Droid model w/o the slider and QWERTY keyboard. It would be thinner and lighter and work fine by me.

NVash

Reaction score
The two things Id change, Id Moto Blur as an option and Id add a flip screen, much like that on the Sidekick LX.

There is another, Id have something like the projector from the AT&T phone. Id want that built in, itd be real cool to have the option to project movie projectors onto the wall. And again, have it built into the phone, not an attachment. Thatd be awesome.