Know it's way too early for complaints, BUT..what would you CHANGE on the Droid?

gtjokester

Reaction score
Only thing I would change would be a standard USB port so I could use a different cable when connecting to my computer instead of having to move the cable from the computer to the charger all the time..

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Only thing I would change would be a standard USB port so I could use a different cable when connecting to my computer instead of having to move the cable from the computer to the charger all the time..

Finally, a benefit of having come from the Storm is that the same charging cables work with this phone as well.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
My fiance's EnV2 is also micro usb. So is the Tour I think. Its the new standark AKAIK

mwinne

Reaction score
Only thing I would change so far is the location of the power button, with a cover on, it is a pain to hit it every time you want to wake up your phone.

but that is minor. love my droid.

sfstan

Reaction score
voice dial via bluetooth

voice dial seems to be the biggest shortcoming for me on the droid. it is a safety feature that i am amazed they did not include. are there any app developers out there that can fix that? well worth a purchase price.

gtjokester

Reaction score
voice dial seems to be the biggest shortcoming for me on the droid. it is a safety feature that i am amazed they did not include. are there any app developers out there that can fix that? well worth a purchase price.
What do you mean.. push and hold the search button at the bottom right and it will activate the voice search and say call john on mobile or whatever and it calls them.. there is also a voice dialer app in the app drawer.. so really there are too apps that let you use voice dialing.. I just use the vioce search cause it can be used to navigate somewhere or search for anything.. I just wish it would open apps which the voice dial app does do.. if you want to use the voice dialer just put it on your home screen for easy access..

edit:eek:pps.. just noticed your title via bluetooth.. I'm sure it will come, I saw a while back on googles developer threads that that was supposed to be solved.. I was kind of supprised it still doesn't work in 2.0.. but holding the search button is ok with me.. at least I don't have to be scrolling though contacts while I'm driving..

Last edited:
OP
joegrind

joegrind

Reaction score
Okay..got my moto droid about 5 hours ago and been playing with it ever since.
It's probably too soon for me to say, but right now I'm thinking about returning it and waiting until the keyboard-less one comes out.
I hardly see myself using the physical one...it is kinda difficult to use.
My camera doesn't auto-focus and yes I do know that the dec OTA update will probably fix this. I'm unable to download apps from the Android market....spoke with VZW and Motorola for about an hour...did the hard resets, and battery removal etc....even tried downloading a paid app...I was charged for it but the only thing that it says is Starting Download. Motorola says I should call Google (yeah right). I was able to download Qik through an email link but unable to download anything through the Market. I tried with Wi-Fi on and off. I don't like the fact that I can only use the landscape mode on 'one-side'. I also don't like when the screen times out, I have to either press the power button or open the slider (minor incoveniences to me).
I think the 2nd generation Droid will be much better with all the problems worked out....I can live with my Moto Q for now and will probably use my NE2 then.

sfstan

Reaction score
gtjokester, it's not just holding the search button. you probably have to wake the phone up first. then swipe it. then press home. then press voice dialer then press the window that comes up with the phone number. you might as well dial the phone in the car and probably have an accident while doing so. google is in california. there is a state law that says you must use hands free to receive or make a call. unbelievable.

wil318466

Reaction score
The biggest issue is the power button. Its actually a pain in the butt to hit, because of the way it comes up flush with the case. If it was slightly raised, it would be much easier to push to wake up the screen.

In fact, the screen should auto wake when pressed. That would be a good improvement.

-Wil

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Heres my biggest issue, and maybe I am the only one.

I would have liked to been able to tell which way I am holding it in the dark. With it being perfectly square, I have to run the face to see which side to look for the power button on. I hate to say it, but iphone with its rounded back was always easy to figure out which way i was holding it. A raised power button would have helped as well.

Also, my camera button sucks. Are they all hard to get it to turn on? I have to hold mine down, very hard for about 4 seconds before it turns on. Yes, i could make a shortcut to turn it on with the screen, but the point is if they tout this button as a function it should work.

Hmm, what else? My bill is going to be 90 a month. I thought it was AT&T that was sooo expensive to own an iphone. Bill was the same. Dont get me wrong, I terminated my iphone contract, sold the phone, ported my number. I am so far most impressed with the network over the phone.

When more apps come out with more buyers, and the code being released for new development I will like it more I am sure. Two things that are much better than the apple phone are the screen of course, and bluetooth stereo streaming on this phone is much more crisp.

D

DroidMastar

Okay..got my moto droid about 5 hours ago and been playing with it ever since.
It's probably too soon for me to say, but right now I'm thinking about returning it and waiting until the keyboard-less one comes out.
I hardly see myself using the physical one...it is kinda difficult to use.
My camera doesn't auto-focus and yes I do know that the dec OTA update will probably fix this. I'm unable to download apps from the Android market....spoke with VZW and Motorola for about an hour...did the hard resets, and battery removal etc....even tried downloading a paid app...I was charged for it but the only thing that it says is Starting Download. Motorola says I should call Google (yeah right). I was able to download Qik through an email link but unable to download anything through the Market. I tried with Wi-Fi on and off. I don't like the fact that I can only use the landscape mode on 'one-side'. I also don't like when the screen times out, I have to either press the power button or open the slider (minor incoveniences to me).
I think the 2nd generation Droid will be much better with all the problems worked out....I can live with my Moto Q for now and will probably use my NE2 then.
Dude, it seems some of these issues are limited to your phone specifically. Why not just get your droid replaced?

Neway My only issue is lack of space for apps, and I wish I could play .avi... pain in an ass converting. :( I also wish the unlock button was in a more convenient location...

Last edited by a moderator:

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
OK, it's been close to a week and I have my official list. Mind you, I still LOVE this phone and wouldn't trade it for anything, but much like the 1st gen iPhone, I guess we're due for some growing pains as well. Absolutely not a deal breaker for me.

-Better exchange management. Like, I should be able to respond to meeting requests in email.
-Better MSN/Hotmail and I'm assuming POP email management. The repeated unread email thing is a nuisance.
-Improve the camera software. Not enjoying seeing better pics from the dreaded Storm 1.
-Able to listen to Visual Voicemail through bluetooth. Some people are just too nosy for speaker and I wear bluetooth to prevent holding a phone to my face.
-Better integration between the Google Maps on phone and on the computer. I still think that relationship can be a bit more seamless.
-Better search in the App Market.
-True bluetooth voice dialing. I really need this working.
-Smoother video playback. Tired of the iPhone being so seamless. Even my Storm had this down.

OK, that's my list for now. We'll see how much of this still exists after the first update. Hoping December 11th still holds true.

And please don't get me wrong. I really do enjoy this device. I think it'll just get better and better. And the more devices using Android, the more attention we'll all see. I'm really happy to have left the BB fold and I'm not looking back at all. Finally, even if the GodPhone comes to Verizon, I have no desire to switch. If there was no Droid, I may have pulled the trigger, but with this thing, I'm just way too satisfied.

D

DroidMastar

I also wish the docking station offered more feartures... Like it would be great if it was worth $30.00