KitKat - no more dialing phone numbers? What?

silverfang77

Reaction score
According to this ArsTechnica review of KitKat, the ability to call people not in one's contacts by actually dialing their phone number will be removed and one will have to call them by searching for them in Google instead.

How in the Sam Hill is that even going to work? Not everyone is listed! If that's the case, I can imagine many people will download third party dialing apps.

edit: Never mind. I reread the article and it turns out there is still a dialer, but it's hidden. Still a stupid move on Google's part.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Judging by the screenshots it looks like the number pad is available, you just have to open it up.

I HIGHLY doubt that the basic function of a phone is going to be taking out of a smartphone. Alot of times it's not thought of as a phone first anymore, but there is no way Google takes away the dialpad. They're trying to "reinvent" it by combining different features at the main phone screen/app, but there is no way that a basic dialpad would ever be taken out.

Here's a piece taken from the article:
"There is still a dialer, but it's hidden behind a button now. It's not actually a full-screen interface; it pops up over the phone app like a giant keyboard. It will search your contacts as you type by number and by T9. Other than the redesign, that's about it—it's a dial pad. "

lowvolt

Reaction score
Sounds cool to me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
How would it be cool to not be able to dial numbers?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How would it be cool to not be able to dial numbers?

They're not eliminating dialers...

They're just trying to streamline everything with an internet/phone search, trying to give as much information as possible on top of the listed phone number. Your dialier isn't the main screen anymore, but it's still there and will always be there as it's the most basic function of the smartphone, being a phone. The day that a dialer is no longer present is the day it's no longer a smartphone, but a real pocket computer.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
The day everyone gives up traditional phone use and does everything via the Net.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Dear Mr Verizon man. I don't think I should be charged for going over my data. You see you gave me unlimited minutes but I had to keep going on the internet using my data plan because there was no Wi-Fi and KitKat took away my ability to direct dial".
Mr Verizon says "yeah and I gave you unlimited minutes. You could've used Goog 411 ( (800) 466-4411) and gotten the number that way. Pay your bill including the overages".
"But there's no dial pad".
Yes there is, it's just hidden. You're not on ios buddy, you've got the ability and need to think about stuff on Android. Pay your bill including overages".
"But you took away my unlimited and gave me this crappy family share joke of a plan that's costing me more each month".
"Fine I'll let you out of contract. Just pay your bill plus overages, the $350 per line etf, and go get an iPhone on Sprint"
"What's an etf?"
Early Termination Fee".
"Nobody said anything about that when I signed up, they said there was no fee"
"There was no activation fee. It's all written in the Terms of Service"
"But I didn't read that junk. I never do. They're a waste of time".
"I'm sorry Mr customer. We're number 1 in the nation and really don't care what you think. We put that stuff in there knowing you probably won't read it . Pay your bill including overages or our collection department will be in touch with you soon enough.
Have I been able to resolve all your issues today?"
Multiple expletives shouted into phone.

"Have a nice day and thank you for choosing Verizon".

All because of Google updating their device.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Lol that's about it!

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
*And the CSR didn't call you a deadbeat after all that?
AMAZING!
Proof they still *care* about the little guy *extreme laughing*

lowvolt

Reaction score
I was looking forward to a new better looking dialer interface. No such luck. It looks the same.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

BlueLions81

Reaction score
They're not eliminating dialers...

They're just trying to streamline everything with an internet/phone search, trying to give as much information as possible on top of the listed phone number. Your dialier isn't the main screen anymore, but it's still there and will always be there as it's the most basic function of the smartphone, being a phone. The day that a dialer is no longer present is the day it's no longer a smartphone, but a real pocket computer.

That's pure stupidity. If I want to do an internet search I'll click on my browser. When I click the phone I want to make a call and I want the dialpad to automatically pop up and be the main screen. Is there a way to fix this? If not then I'm not upgrading to KitKat.

Silverfang, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Unless there is a way to fix this I won't be upgrading to KitKat.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have read that from 1st to last twice and the part about the dialer 3 times. I still can't see what the big deal is. It's still there. It seems like they are providing one additional (with fewer steps) way to find numbers and only if you elect to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it, and you can turn your information off is call settings and not make it available to other through the G+ (or elsewhere) with a setting change.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
We don't like that they hide the dialer.

BlueLions81

Reaction score
I have read that from 1st to last twice and the part about the dialer 3 times. I still can't see what the big deal is. It's still there. It seems like they are providing one additional (with fewer steps) way to find numbers and only if you elect to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it, and you can turn your information off is call settings and not make it available to other through the G+ (or elsewhere) with a setting change.

It's a huge deal for those of us that don't have unlimited data. I don't want to waste my data because some stupid search pops up instead of the dialpad. I see nothing that says you can change it back to the way it should be. If this is the way Droids are heading then my next phone will be an iphone. I don't need a search popping up everytime I click on the phone icon. That's ridiculous and a terrible idea by the KitKat developers.