KitKat Gets Android Contest Underway with Chance to Win Nexus 7 Tab

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
kitkat-android-contest.png

It's funny how sometimes in life you will research something which will tangentially teach you about random stuff that you didn't previously know about. The KitKat contest for Android is a prime example. Did you know that Nestle owns Hershey's Chocolate? I certainly didn't before this news piece. The KitKat bar has always been a Nestle product, but after I began writing up this article about a KitKat bar Android contest, I noticed it took me to a Hershey's website. After doing some digging I found out that Hershey's is indeed now owned by Nestle... interesting chocolate trivia.

At any rate, on to the contest... KitKat now has an Android contest which has gone live. You have a chance to win a Nexus 7 (from 1000), a $5 Google Play credit (from 150,000 available), or a free bag of KitKat Minis (from 20,000). To enter you simply have to buy a specially marked Android KitKat bar and you should find a coupon code inside the wrapper. Just enter the coupon code at the contest website and you will be entered to win. Here's the spot to enter the code: https://www.hersheys.com/kitkat/android/

How many of you are going to eat KitKat bars for the next few days as if it were Halloween?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
BRB going to Costco to get a huge pack of them. Hopefully they're Android marked....

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Well, I won't be getting any chances to win anything as I'm not really a fan of KitKats. Then again, maybe I am winning...against diabetes! Take that diabetes :yeahbaby01:

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Well, I won't be getting any chances to win anything as I'm not really a fan of KitKats. Then again, maybe I am winning...against diabetes! Take that diabetes :yeahbaby01:

*dies from cancer next day*

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sooooo....No money changed hands to use the KitKat brand name, but KitKat is getting a bunch of free advertising. I'm not seeing the value in that deal for Google.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
*dies from cancer next day*

Probably, seems like everyone these days gets cancer at some point. Only Walter White is man enough to whoop cancer's butt.

Sooooo....No money changed hands to use the KitKat brand name, but KitKat is getting a bunch of free advertising. I'm not seeing the value in that deal for Google.

I have a feeling someone at Google is a huge Kitkat fan. They wanted it to be the next version name and they set out to get it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling someone at Google is a huge Kitkat fan. They wanted it to be the next version name and they set out to get it.

Probably. It does bring a little more attention and higher profile to the launch of the next Android version, but I'm not sure Google really needs that or even cares. Even a test pilot to value the naming rights would seem a trivial amount of cash for Google to care about.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Probably. It does bring a little more attention and higher profile to the launch of the next Android version, but I'm not sure Google really needs that or even cares. Even a test pilot to value the naming rights would seem a trivial amount of cash for Google to care about.

True. It's probably close to trying to get my to do something for about $3.00, meh! :D

tommyz

Reaction score
Kit Kat bars were one of my favorites long before this Android tie-in. Yum!

guardlights

Reaction score
Did you know that Nestle owns Hershey's Chocolate?

You should recheck your facts. Nestle does not own Hershey. The Hershey Food Co. (NYSE: HSY) is a publicly traded company, in the US. You can buy shares on the NYSE. Nestle is a Swiss food company. Kit Kat is a Nestle product. Hershey produces Kit Kat in the US under license to Nestle. If you go to Europe, Kit Kat is produced by Nestle.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
You know, really thinking about it I think the decision to switch had more to do with design than anything. The KK bar looks great, but imagine what Key Lime Pie would look like sitting out on the lawn:

android-key-lime-pie.jpg

Jinkies...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I doubt they've had time to get the new packaging onto store shelves yet?
Don't know, I was just joking. :D

Usually when it comes to contests and food, Costco doesn't get those units to sell otherwise that's too many chances for the buyer. These kinda things usually are sold individually to earn the most amount of money.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does it bother anyone that Nestle is in control of the nation's cheap chocolate supply?? Forget about Android, cancer or diabetes, this is the real news!

Edit: Oh, read "guardlights" notes, and did my own research. Yep, Hershey is licensed to produce Kit Kat and Rolo in the U.S.