Kinetic Battery Charger for Android for Those Rare Moments without Outlets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
kineticcharger.jpg

Have you ever noticed those cheesy moments in Horror films when a 'would-be' or 'soon-to-be' victim is being chased by the killer and their cellphone suddenly is out of battery power? Well, if you find yourself in this situation, or if you just are somewhere without outlets, Ben Heck's cool little hacked device could just save your bacon. Ben Heck, of "The Ben Heck show' on Revision 3 Internet Television, pieced together a kinetic battery charger for your Android phone using a wind-up flashlight, a microUSB charger, and of course an Android phone. Now, as that crazed maniac is chasing you, you can be charging up your phone to call for help! Let's hope his cool invention actually gets turned into a retail consumer product!

Source: Revision 3 via Android.net

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
KipKay, man of hacks and how-to's did this a couple years ago...

[video=youtube;Z_JI2Rvdzqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JI2Rvdzqs]YouTube - Hack a Flashlight to power your...[/video]

jbdow

Reaction score
I'd be afraid of how silly i'd look if i was using that thing in a hurry,

RyanPm40

Reaction score
They already make flashlights like that. I own a hand flashlight/radio that has different kinds of phone adapters. Micro usb, mini, etc. I haven't tried it on my incredible, though, but we had an ice storm a year or two ago and it was amazing.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Yeah they sell an emergency radio/flashlight/cell phone charger at Kohls for like 20 bucks. I bought a few for stocking stuffers this year and one for myself. It works ok on my Droid X, as long as you keep cranking.