Kindle to open development

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read this too, on the 2.1 Genie Widget :)
Only problem with Kindle.... they use black & white display, to give the appearance of reading an actual book. This will hinder the appeal for apps IMO.

OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Read this too, on the 2.1 Genie Widget :)
Only problem with Kindle.... they use black & white display, to give the appearance of reading an actual book. This will hinder the appeal for apps IMO.

Yeah, it will probably limit the use. But still some potential for things (especially shopping and email ect.).

But I have the Nook now so a bit of a moot point. But being Android based I won't be surprised if Nook does something similar.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree. E-mail and simple communications would work fine regardless of the display.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar with the Nook. With all the talk of tablets, everyone is trying to solidify their place in the market.

One thing is for sure... the mobile market is booming!

OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
BN Nook > Amazon Kindle

Why Amazon released the second generation Kindle without a touchscreen or color is beyond me.

Because 1-it KILLS battery life; 2-offers no real benefit; and 3- it was released WELL before the Nook so the display(s) at the time likely were not cost effective. The better question is WHY Amazon screwed other things up on the Kindle2 (like no expandable memory). Yeah I like the little screen but all it does is display the cover of the book.... it doesn't really add anything to the overall experience (other than a bit of flash/style). You really notice a difference in the battery life if you use it much. And to be honest if given the option I would probably prefer they just made the actual display screen bigger or done something else entirely.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tablets will still murder the Kindle in this type of market, I love you Amazon and I hate the idea of Apple making a tablet, but the tablet will win... everytime

OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tablets will still murder the Kindle in this type of market, I love you Amazon and I hate the idea of Apple making a tablet, but the tablet will win... everytime

huh??? a $400 reader is not in the same market as a $1,000+ tablet (unless theirs been a change in the price speculations)... They are two separate markets. Not to mention there are PLENTY of people out there that will NOT by a Apple product even if it anywhere near the same price.

Last edited:

coondogg97

Reaction score
BN Nook > Amazon Kindle

Why Amazon released the second generation Kindle without a touchscreen or color is beyond me.

Because 1-it KILLS battery life; 2-offers no real benefit; and 3- it was released WELL before the Nook so the display(s) at the time likely were not cost effective. The better question is WHY Amazon screwed other things up on the Kindle2 (like no expandable memory). Yeah I like the little screen but all it does is display the cover of the book.... it doesn't really add anything to the overall experience (other than a bit of flash/style). You really notice a difference in the battery life if you use it much. And to be honest if given the option I would probably prefer they just made the actual display screen bigger or done something else entirely.

The battery life on the Nook lasts over a week. Yes, less then the Kindle but a WEEK none the less. And being that it uses the same charger as the Droid it shouldn't be too hard to find a charge for it.

huh??? a $400 reader is not in the same market as a $1,000+ tablet (unless theirs been a change in the price speculations)... They are two separate markets. Not to mention there are PLENTY of people out there that will NOT by a Apple product even if it anywhere near the same price.

A tablet for $199 was introduced at CES this month:

An affordable $199 tablet for everyone - ces 2010, Freescale Semiconductor, Tablet - PC World

OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

That pathetic device is supposed to be a tablet?? It's a touch-screen equipped netbook or an overpowered reader with NO market to support it. Least to me (but I have two IBM/Lenovo Tablets so I may be biased). Last I heard (but could be wrong) the Apple Tablet (which seams to be more of what unix.punkx was specifically referring to) will be anywhere NEAR that WEAK or CHEAP. According to the latest articles in WSJ and CNet the Apple tablet is still expected to be around $1k. Considering that there are also no decent sources for books that are not tied to a device (e.g. Kindle-Amazon, Nook-B&N, e-Reader-Sony) devices such as that will not get enough market share to displace these readers. There have been a LOT of e-reader attempts in the past 3 years that have failed because they do not have a dedicated market. Not saying I agree with it, but it's where the market is right now and that's VERY unlikely to change anytime soon.

Last edited: