Kindle on the Xoom

xier

Reaction score
I won't use the kindle app until It accepts open formats.

xier

Reaction score
Figured that out last night -- I'm in need of the "Last Page Read SYNC" feature and it appears that the Kindle app does it better than the Nook from my limited testing -- not as seamless as Ibooks but looks to work. Converted several of my Epub's with Calibre to mobi and will try to load them on the Xoom when it arrives today.

kennyc

Reaction score
Figured that out last night -- I'm in need of the "Last Page Read SYNC" feature and it appears that the Kindle app does it better than the Nook from my limited testing -- not as seamless as Ibooks but looks to work. Converted several of my Epub's with Calibre to mobi and will try to load them on the Xoom when it arrives today.

Or just leave them epub and use the Aldiko reader app. :)

xier

Reaction score
My XOOM's just arrived - I'll have to checkout Aldiko -- does it Sync?

Attachments

• fedexxoomsphoto.JPG
    fedexxoomsphoto.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 214

kennyc

Reaction score
Congratulations on the Xoom!!!

Aldiko is a standalone reader no syncing I'm aware of.

xier

Reaction score
Doh -- If I'm going to be able to use these over my ipad's - I need them to sync between Phone/Tablet. I'm warming to the Kindle App now that I know I can get my Epub's on it in the form of Mobi's -- just need to update Calibre so it will sync and have covers.

Skydog

Reaction score
This. It works fine but is "plain-jane" as compared to the nifty google book reader that is already installed (with the page flip animations etc.).
True. But since there doesn't appear to be a way to side load a .mobi file in the native app at least the Kindle app works. :)

Not true. I just tested it by dragging on of my drm-free .mobi books to the kindle directory and it is right there with the rest of the kindle library and plays just fine.

I was refering to the "native" Google reader app and there is no way to side load a mobi file that I have found.

kennyc

Reaction score
True. But since there doesn't appear to be a way to side load a .mobi file in the native app at least the Kindle app works. :)

Not true. I just tested it by dragging on of my drm-free .mobi books to the kindle directory and it is right there with the rest of the kindle library and plays just fine.

I was refering to the "native" Google reader app and there is no way to side load a mobi file that I have found.

Oh, right I tried to figure that out for a half-hour or so and didn't find a way. I just use Aldiko or FBReader for epubs anyway. Epub is my preferred format in any case.

Skydog

Reaction score
Anybody try Nook on the Xoom?

I have and it is now my first choice for reading epubs on the Xoom. The animated page turns are lightning fast and turns are synchronized with the speed of one's swipe. The books display beautifully. As the current app is not yet optimized for Honeycomb I have experienced only one glitch thus far when using the Xoom's back button from some parts of the app but it is easily dealt with by pressing the home tile in the nook app to return to the home page.

It's reported that an updated app should be available this spring.

kennyc

Reaction score

I have and it is now my first choice for reading epubs on the Xoom. The animated page turns are lightning fast and turns are synchronized with the speed of one's swipe. The books display beautifully. As the current app is not yet optimized for Honeycomb I have experienced only one glitch thus far when using the Xoom's back button from some parts of the app but it is easily dealt with by pressing the home tile in the nook app to return to the home page.

Is it possible to install the Nook app even if you don't have a nook or B&N account?

Oops, turns out you can install it, but it wants a B&N account....which I realized I actually have so just signed in and downloaded my books. :)

Disturbingly the app crashed three times as I was doing that... hmmm....

Skydog

Reaction score

Is it possible to install the Nook app even if you don't have a nook or B&N account?
I believe you must have, or create, an account. It will prompt you for the information before the app will install. You should give it a try -- it displays epubs beautifully and the UI is far superior to Kindle. :)

xier

Reaction score
Yep - lots of crashes here with Nook on the xoom. I would press on with Nook if there was some way to get sideloaded epub's to SYNC last page.

kennyc

Reaction score
Yep - lots of crashes here with Nook on the xoom. I would press on with Nook if there was some way to get sideloaded epub's to SYNC last page.

Dang! That's no good.