Kindle on the Xoom

Ken_photo

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a xoom to use Kindle on. Anyone have any experience with how Kindle is on it?

Skydog

Reaction score
The Kindle app works just fine even though it is not yet specifically designed for Honeycomb. It looks exactly the same just with a larger dimension and the 16:9 aspect ratio is perfect for replicating a paper book when used in portrait mode. The page turns are not quite as smooth, with a half-second hesitation but nothing bothersome. The covers are stunning on the Xoom's gorgeous display!

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

rmiddle

Reaction score
I agree the kindle app works fine I am looking forward to a native version but the current version just work

kennyc

Reaction score
The Kindle app works just fine even though it is not yet specifically designed for Honeycomb. It looks exactly the same just with a larger dimension and the 16:9 aspect ratio is perfect for replicating a paper book when used in portrait mode. The page turns are not quite as smooth, with a half-second hesitation but nothing bothersome. The covers are stunning on the Xoom's gorgeous display!

This. It works fine but is "plain-jane" as compared to the nifty google book reader that is already installed (with the page flip animations etc.).

Skydog

Reaction score
This. It works fine but is "plain-jane" as compared to the nifty google book reader that is already installed (with the page flip animations etc.).

True. But since there doesn't appear to be a way to side load a .mobi file in the native app at least the Kindle app works. :)

xier

Reaction score
Does the google book reader allow importing and reading of epubs?

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
I love kindle on this thing

xier

Reaction score
The kindle itself is slow to turn pages - the app's that I have tried on both IPad and Droid X are also slow to change pages. It's quite annoying when you are used to being able to change pages as fast as you can click the button - Here's hoping that the XOOM changes pages w/out the dreaded delay.

kennyc

Reaction score
True. But since there doesn't appear to be a way to side load a .mobi file in the native app at least the Kindle app works. :)

But you can always use Aldiko. It's working great on the Xoom as well. Or FB Reader -- open source. :)

kennyc

Reaction score
The kindle itself is slow to turn pages - the app's that I have tried on both IPad and Droid X are also slow to change pages. It's quite annoying when you are used to being able to change pages as fast as you can click the button - Here's hoping that the XOOM changes pages w/out the dreaded delay.

An e-ink device requires some time to clear and redraw the screen. That's not the case with an lcd (other than the intentional page-turn animation slowing)

xier

Reaction score
Yes - one of the reasons by my PRS500's and Kindle gathered dust after getting the Ipad. Once you get used to instant page turns there is no going back - for me at least.

EPUB - Does the Native XOOM app read EPUB?

An e-ink device requires some time to clear and redraw the screen. That's not the case with an lcd (other than the intentional page-turn animation slowing)

kennyc

Reaction score

Not true. I just tested it by dragging on of my drm-free .mobi books to the kindle directory and it is right there with the rest of the kindle library and plays just fine.

kennyc

Reaction score
Yes - one of the reasons by my PRS500's and Kindle gathered dust after getting the Ipad. Once you get used to instant page turns there is no going back - for me at least.

EPUB - Does the Native XOOM app read EPUB?

It think so. Let me try and test it.....hmmm now that I look at it, I'm not seeing that you can side-load into the native google book reader....I may not be seeing the proper directory or place though.