Kindle app?

russ472

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a Kindle app or another app that would do the same thing. I use it a good bit on my Ipod, but would rather have it on my droid.

jacobrv

Reaction score
The problem with book apps is that pretty much all ebooks have DRM lockdowns and can only be used with official apps. What that means is that even if someone makes an ebook app, the selection of books available will be rather slim. If you want books on android one of two things needs to happen. 1) Amazon/B&N/etc needs to make an official app. 2) Amazon/B&N/etc need to either drop DRM or use an open standard. Unfortunately, the first is a whole lot more likely and who knows when it will come, if ever.

I'm not sure of the legality, because they are offering them free, but if you search Laputa in the market you can get a few good books.

Last edited:

GerryG35

Reaction score
Aldiko is a free app in the market. The free books are older and probably in public domain; I don't know about the newer book prices or availability.

brando56894

Reaction score
I was just about to recommend that, I use it and its great but I havent used it with paid ebooks so I cant really comment on that.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Aldiko is good, but only works with unencrypted epub files. I will point out that it is fairly easy to remove the DRM from both epub ebooks and mobipocket/kindle ebooks (a few minutes with google will find you what you need). Calibre is an excellent ebook manager and conversion program for unencrypted books. iReader in the marketplace can handle encrypted mobipocket and ereader books, but doesn't do epub.

Me, I have 500+ ebooks, all with the encryption removed and I use Aldiko. I've tried most of the others, but haven't found anything I like better. FBReader seemed a bit on the slow side, WordPlayer wouldn't let me adjust the screen brightness (nearly blinded me!), Wordoholic was unstable and snowlamp force closed when opening a book. I stick with epub format and use Calibre to convert things as needed. I read at least one book a week on my phone and actually prefer it to my wife's Kindle 1.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 on Calibre and Aldiko. I also changed the text to night mode, white text on black background and prefer reading that way. Calibre is open source and Aldiko has both a free and paid version in the Market with identical functions. If you use it pay for it if you can.

ValkF6

Reaction score
I don't have any inside information, but I believe we'll see an Android Kindle app pretty soon. Amazon made one for the PC, the Mac and the iPhone. Android is probably next, if you go by popularity.

mrmark27

Reaction score
I don't have any inside information, but I believe we'll see an Android Kindle app pretty soon. Amazon made one for the PC, the Mac and the iPhone. Android is probably next, if you go by popularity.

based on that, i'd think the crackberry would come before android. dont have the #'s but i'd assume that with crackberry's being out far longer that they'd have a larger base.

ValkF6

Reaction score
I was thinking Android because of its open nature and the fact that it's a growing technology instead of one that's dying like Blackberry.