Kind of a Noob and need some help

Bear in NM

Reaction score
PB,

Attached are the 4 files from my system. The two aps and their associated odx files. Unzip the file I have attached, copy them to /system, make their permissions match the rest of the files there, and reboot. Should work. If not, got ADB???:)

Craig

Attachments

• yahoo.zip
    112.9 KB · Views: 137
OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Thanks Craig! I know I know I know.... I made such a rook mistake. I actually deleted them in TB a couple days ago and didn't notice until last night. I typically make my phone calls through my recent calls list but was scrolling through my contacts and that's when it force closed on me.. I won't type what I said though. :)
And no.. unfortunately I hadn't messed with any backups at that point.
I thought it was an email app that I previously downloaded when I was using yahoo mail but I guess there was an additional file that came with the phone that is.. "important".

I unfortunately don't know how to attach the files to the system yet or manage permissions. Any quick instructions?

Yesterday I was seriously contemplating unrooting the phone and doing an exchange at verizon. Since its just my contacts app having issues, I figured it would be pretty easy to BS my way around it and get a different phone.
Then I could start over clean slate, update, root/4ever and create a backup at that point.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Ok,

download the zip. Extract on your pc. Connect the pc to your phone(usb mass storage mode). copy the files to sd or sd-ext from the pc.

On the phone, open root explorer. path to sd card (wherever you put the files). hit menu, multi select. Select the four files, then copy. Path to /system/app, toggle read/write button at top, then paste.

Now you will need to change the permissions for each file. long press the file, scroll down to permissions, press. you will get a 3x3 grid. make sure a checkmark is placed in all three of the first column, and the top cell of the second. the rest should stay grey (unchecked). do this for all four files, change read/write at top to r/o, exit reboot.

That will hopefully do it.

Craig

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Wonderful. Thank you! I'll give this a try, if it doesn't work. I might just have to exchange it. You've been a huge help. I'll report back if it worked or not and will most likely need some assistance at a later point when messing with safestrap. Take care,
Merry Xmas

Alex

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Alex,

There is no need to exchange a phone for a couple of missing files. This can be done. A factory reset might take care of the file, but sure on that. If it is just a case of trying the steps above until you get comfortable, you need to be able to do those anyway, so it should be fine when you get the time.

Craig

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Ya I agree. I wouldn't go the route of exchanging unless I 100% messed up the phone, even then it would be a pain in the ace. I'll download the files here shortly and report back.

Alex

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I finally had the chance to tinker with it and download the files but it says that the compressed folder is invalid or corrupted when I extract it to my desktop..?

I don't think the yahoo files transferred correctly

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Lets try the zip file again. Try the attached.

Craig

Disregard trying this file. I am playiong with it now. Something is happening to the zip file when it uploads to the server here. I let you know when I get it working.

Craig

OP
P

PbSandman7

Reaction score
Darn... still nothing. When I click to extract all, it states there are no files to extract.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
PB,

Something is happening to the files when they go through the server here. PM me with your email info, and I will send them to you. Not sure what the problem is, other than it has been a while since I used the file server here.

Craig

Bear in NM

Reaction score
PB,

Email and PM sent. Rookie mistake on my part. I should have redownloaded the file I originally posted, to make sure it was working for you. Still don't know why it is getting borked when going through he server here??

We should be able to work this out via PM's. I hang here until we get this resolved.

Craig