Keyboard lights won't work...

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Ok so I've tried everything I can think of. I've turned my brightness to all different settings, pulled my battery tons of times, left the phone off for a period of time, I don't know what else to do. My keyboard lights come on every once in a while for about 5 seconds. Other than that, the lights don't work. How do I fix this? It gets very frustrating at night because unlike most people on here I love the keyboard and it's all i use to type unless I only have one hand available.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've tried everything I can think of. I've turned my brightness to all different settings, pulled my battery tons of times, left the phone off for a period of time, I don't know what else to do. My keyboard lights come on every once in a while for about 5 seconds. Other than that, the lights don't work. How do I fix this? It gets very frustrating at night because unlike most people on here I love the keyboard and it's all i use to type unless I only have one hand available.

Sounds like you have a defective Droid. May be time to go to the Verizon store for a replacement.

OP
J

JoeeDB

Reaction score

Sounds like you have a defective Droid. May be time to go to the Verizon store for a replacement.
Well if that's the case, is there any safe way to unroot/downgrade to 2.0.1? Yeah, I could search on the forum, or someone could just give me a link :). Or do you guys think it will matter? My droid is basically a "stock" rooted 2.1 if it matters. I haven't done anything with root yet or anything, just did the 2.1 update.

EDIT: Actually, I just read this from another post: "I've been going nuts over 2.1. I was contemplating putting 2.1 on myself, but there were a lot of people talking about the bugs with it such as the lack of a backlite keyboard, etc. but now hopefully all tat will be fixed with the official release." So looks like it could just be that I did the unofficial 2.1 upgrade? Looks like I'll have to go back to 2.0.1 and see if that helps.

Last edited:

iPirate

Reaction score
2.1 isn't officially released for the Droid so things dont work at their best...

if i'm not mistaken the unofficial 2.1 does not let the keyboard light work.

OP
J

JoeeDB

Reaction score
2.1 isn't officially released for the Droid so things dont work at their best...

if i'm not mistaken the unofficial 2.1 does not let the keyboard light work.
Ok yeah that makes more sense now because I'm pretty sure that it didn't start happening till i updated. It's weird tho because I just tried using it with my charger plugged in and it works fine.

Smitty

Reaction score
Mine's stock, not rooted, and my lights work all the time regardless of the lighting conditions. Seems to me I read somewhere about keyboard lights not working with manual update 2.1 also.

greg.hodorek

Reaction score
I have 2.1 and also am having the same issue. I can usually get it to work if I start out in Messaging with keyboard closed, put the phone to sleep, then slide it open without waking it back up first. The light will usually stay on... but it doesn't work every time. It sucks, but a small price to pay for all the awesomeness 2.1 brings.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've found that it happens to me after a reboot. But, I have autodim turned off. If I go to the brightness settings and turn on auto, then turn it back off, everything works properly again.