keyboard issue, shift key not working as is most punctuation

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by telivi, Mar 23, 2013.

1. NeXtras

NeXtras Member

Ratings:
    +1

Uninstaling the Chrome updates and disabling the the App Isnt the fix, i've done that and i'm still having bugs with the keyboard, mainly the onscreen one.. my shift key hasnt acted up, that ive noticed anyways.. but when I go to answer a text without sliding the keyboard out, the onscreen keyboard is in all caps insted of just capitalizing the first letter... verry annoying when your trying to type a quick response and it ends up in all caps

2. kariyatd

kariyatd New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    I have the same issue but mine is temperamental. Sometimes it works fine and other times, not so much. It seems to happen more when I'm using my browser and then won't work until I let the phone be for a few minutes or so even if I switch to another app.

And doing whatever with Chrome did not work for me. I don't even use Chrome so I had no updates to uninstall and I disabled the app. Same problem.

3. DocWalt

DocWalt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3
    I disabled Chrome and the shift key behaves 90% of the time instead of only about 40% of the time. Good enough for me. :)

4. chadrock

chadrock New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am able to use the shift key, but my caps lock no longer works, and now my screen is flickering badly and the touch screen is so much less acurate than before. it really clumbsy now. i did not update my OS. the phone took it upon itself to update. I tried to stop it but the phone wouldn't allow it. i thought the last OS was just fine. I would like to go back. does anyone know how this is done. i need specific instructions on where to go and what to do.

5. EastPhilly

EastPhilly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went into Settings>Apps>All>Chrome and disabled chrome. Fixed my keyboard issue completely. i couldn't get shift to work in handcent or m.facebook.com

6. roadrageburleson

roadrageburleson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Shift Key Problem

I noticed the shift key problem when trying to type a "?". It was primaraly when texting. I changed the AOSP to No Language(QWERTY) and and unchecked English(us) and now everything is working fine, even in Chrome. I have done nothing else. My caps lock seems to be working fine also. My only problem with 4.1.2 now is random restarts(another topic).

7. rongotti

rongotti Active Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I tried this and I still have to hold down shift while pressing the letter in the browser on FB mobile :mad:

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

8. EastPhilly

EastPhilly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Happens on m.facebook.com for me as well. Need to hold shift to get separate symbols.

9. EastPhilly

EastPhilly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get to the AOSP setting? I go to language and inputs. I have map phone switch: English US; omap4-keyboard: english US. I downloaded the gingerbread onscreen keyboard app to go back to that. Chinese input os unchecked.

10. brokenhallelujah

brokenhallelujah New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. Some of the keyboard mapping issues are flaky/inconsistent. The only persistent one I have is with the semicolon and colon keys. Uninstalling Chrome updates, dickering with input settings didn't have any effect whatsoever.

Sounds like I am not having as many issues (knock on wood) as some here. Physical QWERTY keyboard is the only, and I mean ONLY reason I got the Droid 4. If you take that out of the equation, it is really a pretty mediocre device.

11. ThalyaFlourishing

ThalyaFlourishing New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem and figured it out: After the most-recent OS update, the time you have to hit the key after the SHIFT key is now very short. If you hit it fast, it will work.

Is this a setting somewhere?

12. kettlnaut

kettlnaut New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting you might be onto something there with the shift timing. The chrome fix stopped working for me after a while for some reason, so I was forced to revisit the keyboard settings but was having user error issues. I couldn't get the directions until I finally scrolled down the list and actually found a setting called "no language" (I thought they just meant unselect any language at all, which it won't let you do so I was stumped). But yah the settings also aren't quite as described so maybe they have different menus or just describe it differently but I found all mine under:

Settings (usually hit menu key > System Settings on the home screen much faster to get to it that way) > Language & Input > Keyboard and Input Methods Section > Click the gear next to the Android Keyboard Section (says AOSP in parenthesis) > Input Languages > Uncheck use System Language at the top by Selecting a Language (find the option that literally says No Language).

Update: Happy to report this is 100% the fix for me now that I got it right. I found that even though I had gone in and checked those settings, something caused English US to also be checked along with No Language. So unchecked the English US and left only No Language now is all good with Chrome updates and everything WOO HOO!

Thanks guys you rock, hope my clarifications helped other folks where I got stuck cuz these dudes are too smart and do all these shorthand descriptions. Dangit we need step by step, even some of the savvy miss this stuff when they change the interface. Still getting used to it TBH it's still a tad different than ICS. VERY happy with the improvement in performance on my Droid 4 for sure, so now that I got this stupid issue hammered out after the upgrade life is good!

Search tags for this page
android keyboard shift key not working
android shift key
android update shift key not working
droid 4 keyboard shift not working

droid 4 shift key

droid 4 shift key fix

droid 4 shift key not working

droid shift key not working
shift key not working android
shift key on droid 4 not working