1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

keyboard issue, shift key not working as is most punctuation

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by telivi, Mar 23, 2013.

1. telivi

telivi New Member

i did a forum search and went back a few pages and saw no one with this problem. if i overlooked it, i apologize.

so, i have a droid 4. it just updated to 4.1.2, jellybean, woo super excited. lo and behold, when i try to text a fellow droid enthuist of my excitement, i notice something is amiss with my keyboard. my shift key does not work, so i cannot capitalize. i also notice only my period and comma keys work when it comes to punctuation. as such, i cannot ask a question... so it will seem like i'm just complaining here.

i tried turning on auto capitalization, nothing. tried adjusting a few things, also nothing. i'm pretty sure when it asked me to configure my input settings after download, i must have clicked the wrong thing somewhere. but i would like to type like someone who knows the english language, not like this.

also, i do not like the touch keyboard, the physical qwerty keyboard is why i like my droid 4.
  2. matchgame90

matchgame90 New Member

OK so I'm not the only one who is having problems with my droid 4's shift key. I've found that after my update to Jelly Bean yesterday that the shift key now has to be held down while you want to use it. before you could tap the shift key once and it would take your next keystroke as if it were typed with the shift key held down. i do not see anywhere in the options to correct this, unfortunately. I don't like this change and really wish there was a way to get it back.
  3. kwyrt

kwyrt New Member

I actually had this problem shortly after the JB OTA. A simple reboot fixed it for me. Shift key functions normally now.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
  4. matchgame90

matchgame90 New Member

I found that uninstalling the updates to Google Chrome fixes this issue. I tried going a reboot and reset (what a pain!) but it still was acting up until I uninstalled the updates.
  5. IndyViva

IndyViva New Member

I have been having the same issues.

Just tried what a previous poster said and tried holding the shift key down while typing, and that did work. The caps lock does not work at all tho.
  6. franndisney

franndisney New Member

I am actually having the same issue with the "shift" key. I am also having problems when I type 2 spaces it won't automatically add a "." even though that option is clicked in settings. I am having a bunch of other issues too, I called Verizon and they are sending me a "certified like new" replacement, but I have a feeling that it is not going to change. When I spoke to Verizon the women said she had a bunch of calls with stuff not working since the upgrade and I could do a hard reset of the phone, but she wasn't successful helping others.
  7. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

I thought I'd try this. Typing from the keyboard. Mine seems OK. I have my phone set on autocorrect, etc. I did the JB updates yesterday through my settings. I didn't get a notification. I don't know if mine ever did the auto period. Guess it does, just tried it. ;)
    I'm on stock.
    This is, though, my second D4. My first froze (original from the release day). So a refurbished, like new. Verizon said it to me.
  8. cylence

cylence New Member

First, make sure the keyboard layout is default and not english or any other language ( system settings, input, phys keyboard, omap4 keypad)

If that is set right and you still have problems, look in /system/usr/keylayout and make sure the omap4-keypad.kl file is owned by root.

Those are the first two things I know of that will mess with the pk functionality.
  9. telivi

telivi New Member

Thank you, cylence! Took me a moment to figure out how to get it to go to default, as it wasn't a listed option. But that worked.

As to the automatically putting in a period, I've never used that option. I do that manually, as I prefer to do so since I put two spaces between sentences.

Removing Chrome updates, for some reason, got my shift to work. I have to hold it down, but it works. Capslock doesn't work at all, still. Unless I'm texting. Anywhere else, it just looks pretty. I must say, having to press shift for capitals is really inconvenient, considering I have to hold the phone while typing, so holding a button down and typing is really annoying.

How I finally got the settings to go to default: went to change it, unchecked "English" and pressed the back button, selected default from that menu. It's not on the actual list.
  10. NeXtras

NeXtras New Member

There are a lot of bugs with the keyboard(s) on these after the JB update.

My shift key has been temperamental whether it wants to work with one press or have to hold it (usually rebooting lets it work normally, just a pain to reboot all the time)

When going to answer a text without sliding the phone open, the onscreen keyboard likes to start off stuck in caps lock.

and ive noticed that the "Select Input" Icon likes to stay in the notification bar even after exiting a text.. will stay there til I lock the phone and unlock it, or I go into an app and return to the homescreen..

this is such an annoying problem -___-
  11. R2D|2OID

R2D|2OID New Member

Uninstalling the updates to Google Chrome fixes this, among MANY OTHER problems with the JB OTA.
  12. NeXtras

NeXtras New Member

Well I just uninstalled the updates for Chrome.. didnt fix it right away, so i just rebooted it we shall see what it does
  13. dfeuer

dfeuer New Member

I uninstalled Chrome updates and rebooted—no luck. The strange thing is that the keyboard works just fine in some apps (Firefox, Gmail, Google Plus, Droid Edit) while it doesn't work in others (non-URL-entry text fields in the standard browser, Chrome, and Dolphin). This is driving me nuts. I really wish I'd stuck with ICS....
  14. NeXtras

NeXtras New Member

Same here, except my shift key hasnt been tempermental.. yet
  15. dfeuer

dfeuer New Member

Mine isn't temperamental—it always works in certain contexts and never in others. Where the shift key doesn't work, neither do the keyboard features that produce pop-ups—holding down a key to choose a symbol or hitting the symbol key.
  16. SparkleBunny

SparkleBunny New Member

How do you do that? None of the other suggestions have helped. My keyboard works fine everywhere except the browser.
  17. drush242

drush242 New Member

Ohfercryinoutloud. My keyboard is odd too. Caps lock works fine, but basically the keyboard stays in capital mode for a second key press, and doesn't automatically revert to lower case. So I hit "shift", type the first letter of the word, hit shift again, type a letter (that will also be capitalized) then delete it and continue as normal. Well, until I have to hit the shift key again and the process repeats.

So, 1) am I missing something for making "default" the default keyboard? Right now under "Language & Input", under "Default", the first thing under default is "English (US) - Android keyboard (ASOP)". There are then 3 sub-categories: "Android keyboard (ASOP)" which is set to "English (US)", "Google voice typing", set to "Automatic", and SwiftKey which is just checked.

2) How do I confirm that omap4-keypad.kl file is owned by root? I can find it no problem, I don't see a way to confirm that root has it.

Criminy, this is without a doubt the most irritating issue I have had since starting to root Motorola flip phones in 2004.

Thanks all.
  18. SparkleBunny

SparkleBunny New Member

scroll down farther to 'physical keyboard' and you'll see 'omap4-keypad.' click on it, and a box will pop up that says 'default' and then 'set up keyboard layouts.' if 'default' is selected, you're good. if not, click 'set up keyboard layouts' and a list will pop up. uncheck whatever is checked, and that will make it revert to default.
  19. kettlnaut

kettlnaut New Member

Chrome updates uninstall worked for me

Strange that worked for me also. Just got updated to JB it kinda hit me by surprise and I clicked the button without meaning to. Here we go again I thought. My last unit did not do well going from GB to ICS and I had to send the unit back in after I could no longer stand it. Got back an ICS stock unit and surprised that Flash was gone and kicked to the curb like a bad habit. Just love all these surprises!

So yah reverting Chrome back to the factory version by uninstalling the updates click the menu button on the homescreen > manage apps > Installed apps find Chrome and open it. Click uninstall updates and confirm to revert the app back to the factory version. Now my shift key works like it did. Thanks goodness! This little flaw makes the most valuable part of the Droid 4 almost useless!

I hope it doesn't jack it up again when I go re-update chrome LOL!
  20. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE New Member

This a problem that's been verified by a number of users. The inability to use shift without holding it down in Chrome has been present since ICS. This also means the SYM key has been useless.

A new physical quirk has been the inability to type ; (semicolon) or : (colon) when hitting shift+, or shift+. respectively in any app whatsoever. It just ends up typing the < and > symbols respectively. Current workaround has been to use the on-screen keyboard, which totally defeats the purpose of a Qwerty keyboard.

Now, if someone found a way to fix this mapping issue, then I'm all ears.

I've followed the Chrome uninstall procedure (uninstalled, rebooted, re-updated), as well as ensured my input is set up properly (as per Cylence's post), so I'm honestly out of options from here short of modifying system files to correct the issue. Honestly, it's something that should've been handled during the Soak. I do know it was reported during the Soak, but the decision to roll with the patch as is went on regardless. :(
Search tags for this page
android keyboard shift key not working
android shift key
android update shift key not working
droid 4 have to hold shift
droid 4 have to hold shift key
droid 4 keyboard shift not working

droid 4 shift key

droid 4 shift key doesn't work

droid 4 shift key fix

droid 4 shift key not working

droid shift key not working