? Keyboard display w/ directional arrow / buttons

leemailbox

Reaction score
While typing a text msg, I magically got the virtual keyboard to display a view with the UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT ARROWS for navigation (this is not the Number screen and Symbol screen).

Anyone know how to do this? I have no idea how I did it, and no one at the local mega Verizon store knew how to make it reappear. It's not in the manual, and I haven't been able to find it via Google. Thanks! By the way, I have the "input method" set to "Swype", but I can't figure how to display the directional arrows in "multi-touch keyboard" either.

OP
leemailbox

leemailbox

Reaction score
How do you do it on the regular multi-touch virtual keyboard?

Wow! Thanks for the tip for getting arrows on the Swype keyboard! How about the regular multi-touch virtual keyboard?

CCHeartCindy

Reaction score
Navigation / Cursor Direction keys on Swype virtual keyboard!

I wanted these so bad. I accidently pulled up the directional UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT and more keys and didn't know how I did it and couldn't repeat it. I searched online. Just not quite the right keywords I guess. I called Verizon and they didn't know. Verizon forwarded me to Motorola support and their no help support just said I couldn't. I said but I did, I saw. They just repeated there are no UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT keys on the virtual keyboard. I even asked a developer who creates custom virtual keyboards on tablets and no luck.

Yesterday I found the instructions. Trying to use the annoying "bubble"that I cannot consistently pull up and sometimes is under my finger so I cannot see it. My attempts bring up the edit menu more often. The Swype help came up as usual when I am trying to get to the spot I want. This time I clicked "More on This?" and just started reading. A few paragraphs down ... The Cursor Direction keys! They called it the Editing Keyboard.

Up, Down, Left, Right, Back Delete, Forward Delete, Back Word Delete, Tab, Enter, Page Up, Page Down, Space, Home, End, Cut, Copy, Paste, Select Text, Select All, Cursor Jump and options key for Swype settings.

Swype from the information-Swype key (i with S squiggle) to the SYM key when on ABC keyboard; Swype from the i-Swype key to ABC when on SYM keyboard and it pulls it up. So I guess I should read ALL the information under Swype. :)

Only found this on the Swype input method. Now to have some one program these navigation/direction keys in the multi touch or any other virtual keyboard developed for touch screens in Android.

I love my phone even more now!

Fun & Smiles,
CC Heart Cindy :)

Post added: I was soo excited to find this and share I didn't see the replies. I just saw the question and wanted to answer.

FullyInvolvedMedia

Reaction score
"Arrows Keyboard" - App

ak.jpg

akland.jpg

Another way to get your arrows is with this keyboard app that gives you the arrows keys on the normal layout and not only on an editing keyboard a few layers down.

App is called "Arrows Keyboard" and works on v2.2 and better.

Downside is there is no Swipe.

Sal R.

Reaction score
Another option would be Smart Keyboard. You can toggle an arrow keypad using up/down/left/right swiping gesture or a longpress under the kb preferences.

PhilD

Reaction score
"Arrows Keyboard" - App

ak.jpg

akland.jpg

Another way to get your arrows is with this keyboard app that gives you the arrows keys on the normal layout and not only on an editing keyboard a few layers down.

App is called "Arrows Keyboard" and works on v2.2 and better.

this keyboard is awesome on my Droid X, i have been searching for a good keyboard with arrow keys on the main keyboard for ages, your joystick-like arrow key implementation is great, thanks!

any chance you could make the the arow keys repeat (like the delete key) as long as i hold it down? maybe the repeat could start after a short pause to avoid an accidental extended press? and the repeat rate should definitely be slower than the delete key for precise cursor control.

FullyInvolvedMedia

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Phil! That is actually one of the feature upgrades I would like to work on for our next release, so it would be the same functionality as keys on a real keyboard.

If you could throw us some positve feedback in the market that would be great.

We've been working for weeks to make sure the keyboard displays properly on all these different models. What a headache!

lterry913

Reaction score
Ultra Keyboard also offer arrows along the bottom of the keyboard for both tracing and regular text input.

FullyInvolvedMedia

Reaction score
"Arrows Keyboard" update now available (v2.4).

We used PhilD's suggestion for having the arrow keys repeat when held (long pressed). Also added some other upgrades.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help!

- Adam

PhilD

Reaction score
"Arrows Keyboard" update now available (v2.4).

We used PhilD's suggestion for having the arrow keys repeat when held (long pressed). Also added some other upgrades.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help!

- Adam

dude, you're the best! i just installed the update and the new cursor control repeat functionality is fantastic - it still works exactly the same for a quick press, but now it starts to repeat after exactly the right amount of delay if you hold it down (similar to delete key). thank you very much!

i haven't had time to play with this latest version that much yet, but i did notice that it seems to be more responsive than before too, could just be my imagination though.

i was a dedicated Swype user (beta version on my original Droid and OEM version on my Droid X), but i haven't used it once since i installed your keyboard. as cool as Swype is, my typing is simply more accurate with Arrows Keyboard.

zay1967

Reaction score
Hey guys this app is no longer on the market, where can I dl it? Also, will this work on my EVO 4G?