Keyboard backlight is inconsistant

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by Websquad, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    I don't know what this means: "You need root and busybox installed." I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this device (I'm going to wait and see how the new Blackberry Q10 works out), so I don't want to make OS-level modifications to my Driod 4. So why do I need "root" installed to install the ap you mentioned?

2. droidbound

droidbound Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Gaining root (user privileges) gives you and apps you may want to install access to the root of the file system on your device. They call it "jailbreaking" in the Apple world. It allows you to install apps like Titanium Backup which, among other things, allows you to freeze a lot of the bloatware Verizon and Motorola installed on this phone and thereby increasing performance, battery life etc. "Rooting" your phone is no big deal - there are plenty of how-to's on this forum - is reversible, but still something you want to study before attempting it.
    Busybox is a collection of UNIX tools that some apps which require root access need to run.

If you're happy with how your phone runs and/or not sure if you want to keep it, I would hold off on rooting. If you keep this phone, it's something worth thinking about because it expands the possibilities of what you can do with the Droid 4 considerably. For example: Using your phone as WiFi hotspot without having to buy yet another overpriced data plan from Verizon.

3. Websquad

Websquad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 6 +
    Yikes: I'm currently paying Verizon $30/month for my mobile hot spot. Is rooting and adding your DIY hotspot legal with respect to my relationship with Verizon?

For what it is worth, I'll take your suggestion to wait on rooting until I make my decision in October to keep my Droid 4 or move on. Right now, I'm inclined to keep it, since I'm locked into Verizon with an unlimited data contract that is "grandfathered."

4. themib

themib Senior Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid 4 (XT894)
    hacking to use wifi hotspot, violates terms of service,
    although last year a court, said verzion had to allow users, to hotspot/tether on non-unlimited data plans
    thousands of people use some type of hack to hotspot, and verizon leaves them alone, but at any time verizon could change that

FCC and Verizon Reach Consent Decree on Free Press C Block Complaint | Free Press

Tethering apps must be allowed, FCC tells Verizon | Ars Technica

Search tags for this page

droid 4 keyboard backlight

droid 4 keyboard backlight settings

droid 4 keyboard light

droid 4 keyboard light turns off
how to keep background light on droid x2
how to keep droid 4 keyboard light on

how to keep keyboard backlight on droid 4

how to keep keyboard lit on droid 4
how to turn the keyboard light on a driod 4
keyboard backlight on droid 4