Keyboard back light?

rda990

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the phone not have a keyboard back light? I have tried going into a pitch black room and it won't come on, I have also gone into every setting and found nothing about it, pretty dumb if it doesn't have one.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It definitely has one. Not sure why yours isn't working.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Venom51

Reaction score
You have to hold it up to the sun so it can shine through the back of the phone. :D

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
Looks like mines going back...it hasn't even turned on since i first booted it so I thought it didn't I guess it was DOA.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Looks like mines going back...it hasn't even turned on since i first booted it so I thought it didn't I guess it was DOA.

I would at least try a factory reset before bringing it back. This will reset everything on the phone and remove all of the apps.

spottedcatfish

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the backlight is "smart" and making use of the same sensor that prevents cheek dialing while you're on the phone. If your backlight goes off, shield that sensor and watch it come back on.

I was wearing a bright white t-shirt with the phone brightness up in a dark room, and that was enough to turn the darn thing off, so I'd say "smart" is not the word I'd use. I wish the sensitivity were user adjustable.

V

volando

These things should really be settable - like an option to "only dim the keyboard/virtual buttons when the screen dims"

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
As far as I can tell, the backlight is "smart" and making use of the same sensor that prevents cheek dialing while you're on the phone. If your backlight goes off, shield that sensor and watch it come back on.

I was wearing a bright white t-shirt with the phone brightness up in a dark room, and that was enough to turn the darn thing off, so I'd say "smart" is not the word I'd use. I wish the sensitivity were user adjustable.

I've noticed the sensor is pretty sensative too. Also the backlight does go off without use. Not sure what the limit is, but I know when the screen dims before going off completely is around when they backlight goes off. Just tap the screen and it comes back or start typing again. Seems like they are trying to wring every bit of battery life they can.

end of line...

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
I like that whole idea of battery savings...

And to the OP... when you get one that works... you'll love it.. best backlighting i've seen

militant

Reaction score
The keyboard on my Ally was notorious for this, would be on when there is plenty of lighting, and would be off if I was laying in my bed at night in the dark texting someone. The one on my D3 seems to be a lot better, it usually is on if the room is dark, but it seems to time out pretty quick and shut off.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
There is a light sensor involved for certain, and I wouldn't be surprised if an inactivity timer was in the logic as well.

To test the light sensor, just slide out the keyboard, and cover the entire black area where the earpiece, LED, and FFC reside. It will turn on and off on command.

It does seem a little sensitive as I've watched it turn off sometimes, but I was able to still see the keyboard so that was probably just the sensor working as it should, to save battery life. Just a change from what I'm used to, no big deal.

mfendley

Reaction score
The backlight for the keyboard switches the same time as the 4 function keys on the front (menu/home/back/search).

OP
rda990

rda990

Reaction score
The backlight for the keyboard switches the same time as the 4 function keys on the front (menu/home/back/search).

Yea it's been like that since my Droid and found it weird that it wasn't working...i also noticed that the vibrate on it doesn't even work at times so i think i have a semi DOA Droid 3.