Kernels

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ldopa, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Could someone explain what kernels are and why and how to change them? Droid 2 rooted.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

the kernel is more or less the bridge between the hardware and software. it controls the hardware function of the device relative the the input from the user / applications.

unfortunately, the Droid 2 does not accept custom kernels since the bootloader is locked.

most users refer to kernels alongside "overclocking" which is intentionally setting the CPU speed above its stock/recommended value to increase the speed of your device. overclocking on the D2 must be done via script.
  3. ldopa

ldopa New Member

OK so are you saying that milestone and set cpu wont work on my phone? Also I heard that I need d2 bootstrap and that rm wont work on d2.

Sent from my DROID2
  4. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

on the contrary, setcpu and the milestone oc app should work fine -- it's just a custom kernel that won't work for you. setcpu and the milestone oc app aren't actual kernels, they just modify the existing kernel.

and yes, you do need the D2 bootstrap application. you can get it free from koush's website or for a couple bucks on the market. i would recommend buying it on the market -- it's only a couple bucks and it supports the developer who made a custom recovery possible for your D2.

Rom Manager won't work because the D2 doesn't accept a "true" recovery. What I mean by "true" is that you cannot REPLACE your stock recovery, since the bootloader on the D2 is locked. Bootstrap modifies the init process before a reboot on your D2 that allows a custom recovery to start in place of the full OS when you choose to boot into recovery using bootstrap.

There is also a failsafe option that will put you into recovery to avoid bricking, which is modifying the init process after a battery pull so that if you have to pull the battery, you will boot straight into recovery the first time you boot up, instead of booting into the full OS. However, be warned, because this feature is not perfect and does not work 100.0% of the time.

I hope that helps clarify things a little bit for you :)