[Kernels] Version 0.2

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by peteralfonso, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dotcom624

dotcom624 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, SetCPU has the min sample time in their GUI under the "Advanced" menu if you have the interactive governor selected. That was the question I asked about about 3 posts above. Does changing the min sample time increase battery life? Mine is set at 5000 (don't know why), and SetCPU's default says 50,000.

2. joe1980

joe1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was a bit disappointed at first because the new kernel seemed a bit laggy with GPA15. But switching the governor to interactive fixed that. Seems to be running perfectly now!

3. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well.. I took the plunge this morning and installed the .8 ghz sv kernel. It's great. Painless.

I do have one question. How do I set the govenor up? I have setcpu, but pete doesn't recommend that.

4. segruc2

segruc2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SetCPU automatically set 80000 as the min sample rate on my phone and I believe Pete also mentioned in an earlier post that 80000 was the default. I do see that SetCPU states that 50000 is the default so I understand where you are getting that number. Also I really don't know anything about this subject area but it seems to me that 5000 is ridiculously low in comparison to the other numbers being used. Therefore I would assume that your min sample rate being only 5000 is not correct.

5. segruc2

segruc2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just went to SetCPU's website to check out what it had to say and I found this definition:

Sampling Rate – An interval (in microseconds) at which the governor will poll for updates. When this happens, the governor will decide whether to scale the CPU up or down.

Therefore Set CPU is checking your phone at extremely fast intervals. I would say this most likely has a negative impact on your battery.

6. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Holy crap man. I just installed the 1.25lv and yeah, it was laggy until everything loaded. I set if to 1.25 and ran the short bench in SetCPU and scored the lowest I've ever seen across any Android version on every kernel I've ever used. 95 milliseconds. Then a 98 milliseconds. Then 116 milliseconds. Then averaging around those marks. I've been lucky to ever hit as low as 116 until now. I can't vouch for anything else as I've just literally installed and haven't touched any tunable or changed the SD card read ahead tunable...just set CPU, bench and here. I have to say though that despite the initial lag, it appears to be very speedy. Let me go put it through actual use and I'll report back.

Edit: OK. That was apparently a fluke. I've noticed so far that it is indeed snappy but SD dead/write speeds are not benching any faster at all as claimed. After tweaking the read ahead cache setting to 3072 I have managed to her gje read speeds faster, but write speeds appear not to be any different. In fact, everything is indeed a lot laggier until everything is loaded off the sdcard at boot. I'll run it all day tomorrow and report back anything odd. Well this may be a fluke as well, but while writing this I had an incoming call...and never lost data after hanging up. Strange kernel man lol

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  7. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do I really have to flash AutoOverClock.zip on my phone? Or can I just leave well enough alone with what I have? (I'm gonna uninstall setcpu, even though I never set it to work)

8. lanza_david

lanza_david Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is from Peter's blog:

9. joe1980

joe1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I also noticed a lot of lag when reading from the SD card at bootup. I also noticed a bit of lag when playing games like Tank Hero. So, I reverted back to GPA15 4/23 with the stock kernel. That seems to work perfectly for me... I haven't had my Droid running this fast for a long time. I'm sticking with the 4/23 build for now as I'm not noticing any bugs and it runs very smoothly for me.

10. lexridge

lexridge Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Kernel Source

Pete,
    If I wanted to take one of your kernels and modify it, is the source code readily available?

I have never compiled a Linux kernel for Android before, but I did once build kernels and systems for DD-WRT and OpenWRT which are 3rd party Linux based hardware router OSes....and I regularly build my own Linux kernels for my Linux OS on my PCs (Fedora).

Your kernels seem pretty solid, and I have a lot to learn about Android, but I need the sources to start learning it.

Thanks
    Lex

11. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do I remove AutoOverClock.zip if I dont' want it set up like that anymore?

12. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just re flash the normal rom,

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

13. Namrepus221

Namrepus221 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I just reflash the GPA14 that I have on my phone already?

I shouldnt' have to wipe everything again if I do right?

14. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nope, just flash the rom, reboot, and you're gravy.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

15. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question. I saw that there are "increased voltage" kernels. What are those for? Is there ever an instance where we would need that???

Search tags for this page

droid x custom kernel download

interactive governor min sample time

interactive governor tweaks min sample rate

interactive kernel min sample time

minimum sample rate interactive governor