Kernels not work o.o are you up to the challenge?!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by heff04, Mar 17, 2010.

1. heff04

heff04 New Member

Ok, so I've learned so much by browsing these forums and various websites and have solved many problems because of them (thank you btw)but, I've been running into the same problem for awhile and need some assistance. I apologize ahead of time if there is a specific topic with this same problem. I've looked and not everyone has the same problem. Anyway here we go

Problem: every kernel I've tried has put me in a M boot loop, even when installing roms like the new bugless beast and smoked glass.

Phone specs: I hope this helps
    Build Number: Bugless Beast 1.1
    Firmware: 2.0.1
    Kernel version:
    2.6.29-omap1-g04df51f-dirtysteave@steve-droidbuild #31

Here is a brief description of my root/hacking history to those that might find a flaw/problem that i missed that is the culprit.

I rooted my phone using dmupdater and had droidmod on my phone for a brief amount of time. I downloaded setcpu and downloaded the 600mhz kernel to start with. Now if i remember right i believe that one worked. It let me OC to 600 and that was it.

Then I found BuglessBeast 1.1 and installed it on my phone. After the install it put me into M boot loop. Well thanks to these forums I found out that only restoring the boot.img solved my problem. Which, if i'm not mistaken the boot.img contains all the data with the kernel correct? Anyway, after doing so I decided to download kernels and try them out. everytime I tried I got M boot loop. I followed all the direction. renamed the files, using the correct programs, and making sure everything it up to date.

Now, i've tried every kernel I can get my hands on. Now recently I've tried to put smoked glass theme on my phone and to no avail I get the same problem. Though, if i restore boot.img I get it to load. But I can't OC past 600. This is extremely frustrating and I hope someone can take the time to help me out.

I've tried many different methods to try to get it to work. If the normal route didn't work I would wipe cache, wipe data (during rom install), and then install the rom which, didn't work either. Now, is there another method that I'm missing? Is there some type of left overs from other roms conflicting with the new roms? Am I suppose to go into SPrecovery and wipe/factory settings then install the rom?

Any help would be appreciated =)
  2. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Overclocking results have varied for a lot of people. Seems mostly to be an issue with the kernels having the voltage cranked up. Some phones can handle it, but other phones can't.

600 was achieved without any voltage changes, to be honest it was capable already at stock, but that last slot was disabled so just had to be turned on.

It's possible that a stock voltage kernel at higher speeds will work for you, but you won't be able to go above 1Ghz ( at least that's the max i think you can go without upping the voltage. )

Try this one, it has slots to 1k, but the voltage wasn't modified, and working wifi tether if you need it. No other features were added over stock though.
  3. heff04

heff04 New Member

thanks for the quick reply! though, here's where I'm at now
    Downloaded kernel.zip
    renamed to update.zip
    place in root of sdcard
    reboot into sprecovery
    install/allow/install
    then I get this:
    --Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Installation aborted...

but yet the status bar keeps going. any ideas?
  4. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Ya sorry wasn't an update.zip format, but i'll throw one together here quicklike.
  5. Topsy

Topsy New Member

well it's giving me issues atm sorry, but will see what I can do.
  6. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Ok try this one.

I used one of Chevy's update.zip's as a base, so it will say it's installing his kernel but I just didn't have the time to rewrite his custom script right now.

Let me know if this works or not.

Attached Files:

7. heff04

heff04 New Member

that's. fine I'm at work atm anyway. thanks
  8. heff04

heff04 New Member

Getting M boot loops again :icon_ nono2:
  9. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

The kernel may not be your issue. Have you tried to go back to droidmod? You should have a nandroid of stock (rooted) at least. Could try that, also did you wipe data and cache before installing BB?
  10. heff04

heff04 New Member

I'm actually not sure if I did wipe data or not. Now just to clarify, wipe data means going in sprecovery and clicking wipe data/factory? I still see leftovers from droidmod (nandroid) I have dmupdater so I can atleast try to go back to stock using dmupdater. I'm going to try a couple things with the kernel first
  11. Topsy

Topsy New Member

I wouldn't go back to stock just yet.

By flashing that kernel we've eliminated the possibility that it was the higher voltage causing the bootloops, because it is overclocked, but no increased voltage.

I would suggest downloading either Simply Stunning(because i've tested that kernel on it) or another ESE53 build ( should be fine with that kernel) before adding another build + kernel to the equation.

you'll have to reflash that kernel again after pushing another ROM.
  12. jstafford1

Before trying another ROM when you go into sprecovery do the wipe data/factory and wipe cache partition and reflash BB. That could fix it as well. A lot of time if you don't wipe data you run into this. As a good habit I wipe data before I flash any new ROM. Keep us updated.
  13. heff04

heff04 New Member

Update:

Here's where I am atm. I couldn't find the original BB 1.1 that I had so I took smoked glass theme that I had on my computer and put it on the SD card. I then rebooted and wiped data and partition (does it even matter the order? partition then data?) then I installed smoked glass with the 1.1ghz kernel then rebooted. I then was met with my best friend mr. "M". after a couple boot loops i went in did a restore.

I then wiped data/ and cache then installed smoked glass again.. But this time i selected the stock kernel. and then when it was done I installed the kernel topsy gave me and I still got boot loops. So I went back and restored the kernel from my preinstall of the chevy kernel and I was able to boot up.

So it's definatly the boot.img but I still can't seem to wrap my head around why I can't get this thing to work.

Now, any chance that taking topsy's suggestion and using simply stunning with the kernel he has provided me will work? I think I'm going to give it a try. But as of right now I'm sitting with the Smoked Glass theme with what looks like the same freaking kernel i had the: 2.6.29-omap1blahblahblah#31

Now, is that kernel from droidmod still does anyone know?
  14. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I think I know what's going on here. When you say "M" boot loop, do you mean it gets stuck at the "M" logo and the Droid "eye" never appears? If so, here's what I think your problem is:

Your Bugless Beast 1.1 is an older ROM based on Android 2.0.1 - MOST of the kernels out right now are for ERE25 or ESE53 based ROMs. ERE25 and ESE53 require the boot.img be created with a different "ramdisk" file than the 2.0.1 builds did. A kernel for 2.0.1 simply won't boot on ERE25 or ESE53; and vice-versa. It will simply get stuck at the "M" screen.

EDIT: Check out the following thread over at Alldroid, there's a link to a 1.2 GHz 7-slot kernel with 2.0.1 AND 2.1 versions, give the 2.0.1 version a try and see if it behaves better:

http://alldroid.org/threads/16361-Kernel-1.2-ghz-7-slot-Very-fast-very-stable!

I agree with Topsy though, you should give the latest Simply Stunning (2.0.3) a try. I can attest to the fact that it works very well, and the included 1.2GHz kernel is awesome. ChevyNo1 also has links for lower speed kernels if 1.2GHz won't boot for you.
  15. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Ya for sure, running an old BB is the issue for sure. That kernel and most others out are for the newer ERE and ESE builds and will cause the bootloop on a 2.0.1 based ROM.

Flashing any newer ROM should fix the issue.

If you wanna be sure, I would flash simply stunning like you mentioned, then (without rebooting) flash the update.zip with the stock voltage kernel, then reboot. See if that works. If it does, you should then be able to load other newer ROMs
  16. heff04

heff04 New Member

that's fantastic! I will try to see if this works which I'm confident that it will. I will try tonight when I get home from work and I will either update you tonight or in the morning! thanks for the help!
  17. jstafford1

Can we get an update? Did this straighten you out? Let us know.
  18. heff04

heff04 New Member

Sorry, Today has been a hectic day. I haven't had a chance to try it out. I JUST got off work and I will try to put SS on my phone tonight. I will definatly keep you guys updated. Either tonight or Friday morning (I work very odd hours). Though, I almost forgot to mention that I did have a quick second to try that kernel that was linked from all droid and that put out same results. M boot loop. I'll be updating you guys very soon
  19. heff04

heff04 New Member

SUCCESS! I finally got it up and running! thank you guys so much! /hug

So to those with the same problem here is what I did:
    I went and downloaded Simply Stunning v2.0.3 and downloaded the nandroid version. I put it on the sd card and installed it via restore. BUT, before I went and rebooted to install it I downloaded chevy's 1ghz kernel and put it on the sd card as well. I wiped data and cleared the cache. Then I went ahead and installed the ROM then booted.. i got the M boot loop so i then went back into recovery and installed the kernel.

NOW BAM! i'm at 1ghz! I'm so thankful for all your guys' help. I really hope that others will find this topic very useful!. :icon_ banana:
  20. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Definately the voltage then, congrats on getting it working, and as long as you stick to low voltage kernels you should be ok.