Kernels, Get Your Kernels, RED HOT Kernels! - Sapphire - 0.7.0

Discussion in 'cvpcs' started by sniffle, Jul 2, 2010.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,423
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Well there you go then :)

Sent from my Droid

2. serveitup911

serveitup911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Speed of Sapphire

I've been running 0.7.0 since it came out and have the phone set up how I like now, so I wanted to post my Quadrant to compare my setup with others.

The kernel is P3 250-1000 MHz LV

Running ADW launcher with lots of Widgets

SetCPU at 250/1000 Performance for the test

[​IMG]

I feel like it should be at least as fast as the Nexus One, so I'm going to look for some more speed somewhere in my setup.

I ran it again and killed all tasks - got 1217.

Do the freeXmb scripts speed up the phone? I'm on the default configuration now.

3. justinthegeek

justinthegeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the freeXmb scripts go against they way linux operates. Linux likes using cache because unused ram is wasted ram. I think they make the phone feel sluggish. It's the same reason I don't use a task killer. If I need to make sure a program is dead, I can go to the settings, applications, and kill it from there.

4. jrod2183

jrod2183 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if the kernels linked in the OP are compatible with 0.6.2? I'm holding off on jumping to 7.0 till it gets theme support (slightly in love with the Luna theme haha) but right now just running the kernel 6.2 comes with which maxes out at 800, and would like to try running at 1000 with one of the LV kernels.

5. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    anyone know how to disable car dock with this. Its annoying it keeps starting when i take it out of my leather pouch with magnets :(

6. Deuel

Deuel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It also gets in my way while docked. You can uninstall it using Titanium Backup. I think it's called Clock 2.2. Or if you have Root Explorer, you can delete or rename deskclock.apk in /system/app.

7. joshdub223

joshdub223 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

sapphire has a script built in for this:
    open a terminal emulator
    type 'su'
    hit enter
    type 'rmapk carhome'
    hit enter

viola!

8. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Just realized I had left my CPU governor on performance for the last few days (after a quadrant test)..... weird thing is I haven't noticed a difference in battery life when I usually use 125/min 1000/max "ondemand".

dancedroid

9. Deuel

Deuel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good catch joshdub223. I somehow missed that TRIKOTRET was looking to remove the car home, not the desk clock.

10. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    More than once is a placebo effect. I'm pretty sure it got started by some ROM cook throwing a Hail Mary pass to a user having problems.

Mike

11. TRIKOTRET

TRIKOTRET Active Member

Ratings:
    +6

Thanks dancedroid

12. CLShade

CLShade Member

Ratings:
    +0
    .[/quote]
    More than once is a placebo effect. I'm pretty sure it got started by some ROM cook throwing a Hail Mary pass to a user having problems.

Mike[/QUOTE]

My experience was that I couldn't get ANY Froyo rom to work properly until I wiped cache and data twice right before installing. Prior to the original Froyo leak I had never heard of this and everything worked fine without it. After it worked once (using SS, I think it was) every other Froyo install went smoothly without wiping. Of course.

I flashed back to 2.1 at one point. (That sounds funny if you say it out loud...) and... had to wipe twice again to get a fresh install of Froyo working again.

I have no explanation for why, but it was my experience. Call it placebo if you like, but the ROM install did not work well (on my phone) without 2 wipes. And I tried 3 times because I know enough about how computers (should) work to laugh at the idea 2 wipes being better than 1 somehow.

There is enough (random seeming) variations in how our different phones handle these things that I don't think you can call it placebo just because you never had to wipe twice to get Froyo working on your phone. It makes no sense, I agree, but it was also my experience.

Experience, of course, isn't scientific testing. Its enough of a pattern for me (I tried 3 times to install Froyo with one wipe and the first time I wiped twice it worked. Twice.) that I shrugged and said "Whatever gets the d@mn thing working."

Search tags for this page

content

download sapphire-0.7.0

droid x custom kernel download