Kernels by jdlfg

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jdlfg, May 29, 2010.

1. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

Kernels by jdlfg **DEAD** updated kernels tonight.

Recently I began to put some kernels out there that I had compiled using Bekits OMAP source. As I began to get the hang of compiling and after a million questions to P3 and Bekit and others, I built a kernel I felt confident I could share with others.I configured my kernel a little different than the conventional kernel and like the results as well as the majority of those who have tested. I have since built a variety of configurations and wireless and wired tether are enabled. I look forward to sharing them with you and hope to learn from any positive feedback that you can share. Thank you and enjoy.

http://dl.dropbox.co...fg4x5x800lv.zip
    http://dl.dropbox.co...fg4x5x900lv.zip
    http://dl.dropbox.co...g4x5x1000lv.zip
    http://dl.dropbox.co...g4x7x1100lv.zip
    http://dl.dropbox.co...g4x5x1200lv.zip
    http://dl.dropbox.co...6/jdlfg1300.zip

The kernels can also be found in the rom manager under Jrummy's theShizz and Mrbobrowitz's section as well.

Thank you once again P3 for all your help and skill
    Bekit for your information and contribution to the community
    Everyone who tested with a special thanks to my roman irish friend who with his feedback and support has hung with them.

Installation :
    Clockwork recovery
    apply to root of sdcard
    install zip from sdcard
    choose zip from sdcard
    select file
    and enjoy.

Or simply use the rom manager to install from sdcard

Sprecovery

rename to update.zip
    and flash as you would any update.zip

Well froyo 2.2 has really come in with a nice bang and stirred excitment among the community. My first batch of kernels for froyo proved to be a short of my standards after hearing feedback from testers and users. This inspired me to really get down into my work and see what I could do to get them up to standard. I wanted to first thank P3 droid for his wireless patch allowing us to take advantage of these features as well as the assistance with all my questions. To all the testers every last one of you guys keep me going and make me want to continue to improve in anyway possible. Thank you you know who you guys are.

After feeling good about my .29 kernels I went into building these kernels with confidence only to be suprised. I have decided to move away from the conventional low voltage , medium voltage, and standard voltages and come up with what has worked for me on the various 2.2 roms out there. I believe that they will prove to be well rounded in what we look for in kernels.

Note: when adding constructive feedback please add which rom you are running.Thank you

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/...fg.800.v32.1.3.zip
    v.32.1.3 800

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/...ls/jdlfg.900.v32.1.3.zip
    v.32.1.3 900

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/...s/jdlfg.1000.v32.1.3.zip
    v.32.1.3 1000

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/...s/jdlfg.1100.v32.1.3.zip
    v.32.1.3 1100

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/...s/jdlfg.1200.v32.1.3.zip
    v.32.1.3 1200

for any questions or feedback
    @jdlfg (twitter)
    or i can be found at #koush in the irc
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. zshazz

zshazz New Member

I'm running the 1GHz kernel.

It's working fantastic so far.

What all has been done to the kernel? From what I can see, my temps are lower than normal... Does this mean you lowered the voltage even lower than bekit's?
  3. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

The kernels are configured on the lower ends to be more responsive coming out of sleep. The voltages are low voltage. Glad it worked out for you. Which rom are you running?
  4. zshazz

zshazz New Member

CM 5.0.7.1 currently... but it's entirely possible I'll go back to Bugless Beast at some point. I keep swapping between the two and can't decide which one I want more.
  5. grinchy

grinchy New Member

great job man :)
  6. gavron

gavron New Member

Thank you for your work. I have negative information to report but I'd like to make it clear I'm not disparaging you or your work... it did not do well for me.

I use the SmokedGlass 6.0 ROM. I've tried many kernels to experiment. ChevyNo1's I would have hoped would be best because their low-side sleep is 125MHz, and AdamZ's is 250MHz. Both perform nearly the same -- measured with SetCPU's system-info long and short tests.

I normally use AdamZ's 1GHz lv kernel set on 600MHz. This keeps my temps around 34C, and battery usage ok for an 8-hour day. (I've tried 400MHz and while this improved the temps, it did not improve longevity -- the real goal.)

I tried your 1GHz lv kernel, and it was slower than the AdamZ one by about 25% in every single SetCPU system-info short test. Worse yet... on other kernels (AdamZ, ChevyNo1) repetitive tests bring about LOWER numbers... on this kernel repetitive tests brough about HIGHER numbers.

Environment:
    Motorola Droid
    SG6.0 ROM
    App Killer used to kill off everything except App Killer
    87MB Free

SetCPU system info short test... all times in ms...
    AdamZ lv 1GHz kernel - 600MHz - SetCPU short test 396 288, 376
    Your 1GHz lv kernel - 600MHz - SetCPU short test 452, 650, 792
    Your 1GHz lv kernel - 1GHz - SetCPU short test 486, 490, 520

Your kernel 42C. AdamZ's about 34C. Note that I did NOT give it a whole lot of time on the kernel so it is possible the battery was just recharging having been in recovery-mode... and that fluctuation may be normal.

If there's other data I can provide which will help, just ask.

Again this is not a slam on you or your work... in the software development world it would be awesome if something would "just work" "out of the box" for everyone. When it doesn't... I assume you want as much information as possible... so that, in time, you get an idea of where it doesn't do what you want, what the commonalities are, so you can correct it.

Cheers

Ehud
  7. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

I
    Ethud I appreciate the data. My intent was not to build these kernels to be any faster in benches than what is already available but to build a kernel that is stable ,and a little more responsive awaking and on the cooler side. That being said the temp variance between kernels is really what I would like to look into. This is the first feedback I have received from anyone running BB. So your thhouroughness is very helpful. Are you ever in the irc? I would like to see about discussing this more in detail. Pm me if you would like to se what we can come up with. Thanks again.
  8. gavron

gavron New Member

Stable, responsive, and quick would be awesome. My biggest gripes with this phone is in fact that it is slow to respond.

Also I wish someone would fix the screen wakeup to be instantaneous (all effects are off) not gradual. Same for phone app screen ... and an option to disregard prox sensor so the keypad can be there at a second's notice.

I don't do IRC... however I can coordinate a time with you do get on IRC... right now in Las Vegas... so when I get back home in two days I will PM you with contact info and will be happy to test :)

Thanks for the quick reply,

E
  9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Enabling Nand Prefetch will help those scores drop and make the kernel snappier.
  10. romanrish

romanrish New Member

I can truly say these kernels are great. JDLFG has managed to get the min voltage on all his kernels to be set at 400, but yet still pull same power as default 250 min. I know how much work JDLFG put into these things and am very proud of him

These kernels are all super cool in temp ratings when compared to others I have played with, and super snappy whith the 400 min. If you have been ooking to try some new kernels these come highly reccomended.

P.S. JDLFG arrrgggghhhh I'm not irish again am I
  11. zshazz

zshazz New Member

Hey jdlfg,

I've noticed a peculiarity when running "conservative." Your kernel seems to not want to scale the CPU down in that mode. Everything works fine in ondemand, though.

Just something to take a look at. Running CM 5.0.7.1 using setCPU.
  12. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

Thanks for the feedback i will look into it.
  13. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Kernels

WOW...so far overall performance with these kernels is above & beyond any I have tried before, snappy, no hangs or force closes, smooth as silk, though I just dropped in today so unsure on battery life, my only complaint is they only clock down to 400, maybe would be nice to have say a 250...

The weird thing is, I have tried Bekit kernels twice & each time locked my phone solid at the "M" when booting...
  14. VLADB

VLADB New Member

battery life

after installing the 100lv.zip

the phone shows red battery and wont turn on any ideas please help ;-)

15. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

VLADB, ok which rom did you install the kernel on?
  16. VLADB

VLADB New Member

2.6.32.9-p3droids
  17. jdlfg

jdlfg New Member

Which rom are you on????
  18. leatherneck111

leatherneck111 New Member

Running Froyo Bugless Beast ver. 0.3

Hi,

Just curious to know, I just downloaded Bugless Beast. ver 0.3 available from Rom Manager on my Motorola Droid. It is FANTASTIC but it is clocked at 800 MHz also I confirmed this my installing Set CPU and it is running at 800 MHz.

MY QUESTION IS:

What Kernel would you recommend to bump me up to 1.1GHz? I looked at the jdlfg in the ROM Manager and what I saw was several Kernels, and ones that also said for "any ROM" Which one should I use?

I also see Bekit kernels??? What's the difference between all these Kernels? Which one would you guys advise I install?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
  19. mjh68

mjh68 New Member

Unless things changed ,but I think the any rom kernels are .29 or for 2.1 roms. Make sure you grab one of his Froyo specific kernels .
  20. leatherneck111

leatherneck111 New Member

Kernel that works for Motorola Droid

I have found a kernel that is not only fast but runs relatively cool. The following are my specifications :

MOTOROLA DROID
    BUGLESS BEAST STOCK (NO THEME)
    VERSION 0.3. (STRAIGHT FROM ROM MANAGER)
    CHEVY1 LOW VOLTAGE 1.2 GHz (STRAIGHT FROM ROM MANAGER)

obviously I have Set CPU handling this. Boot up time is Super Fast. No. Force closes. No issues no problems. WIFI and 3G running flawlessly
Search tags for this page
dijdlwfrg
iejdnlfg
jbldlfg

jdlfg

jdlfg kernel

jdlfg kernels

jdlfggf
jgdlfg