kernels - battery life with Kangerade

TedWilliams

Reaction score
Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
Another thing I thought of that might be causing some issues for people's battery life: I think a vast majority of us root users use setcpu. With that, people need to make sure that their priority levels are correct (assuming you're using profiles that is.) If they're not done correctly, there's a chance that your phone is constantly running at, let's say 500-1000, even while in sleep mode. Double-check your priority levels!

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
When I initially started using Jrummy's roms a few weeks ago, I was dealing with the same stuff. I wound up going through and adjusting a bunch of settings that seemed to help out quite a bit. Scrolling animations, auto-brightness, and so on were turned off. I also got rid of some widgets that I rarely used. My battery currently will last me a normal day with a bit to spare by the end of the night. For whatever it's worth, I use my quite often throughout the day. I've had better battery life with older roms, no question, but I haven't had many issues making it through the day.

Heck, I'm just trying to make it through the night, not even using my phone!

I'm hoping that the new 5.0.9 might help some. Got it installed with Chevy ULV1.2 sitting at 400/1000 on demand right now, with sleep at 250/250.

I'll get her all charged up, and disable gps/wifi/sync again before bed and see what happens tonight.

Personally, I think you should have GPS disabled all of the time unless you're using it for navigating purposes. Just let your location be determined through the wireless network setting. Wifi eats up the battery life as well, so if you're going to bed, I'd recommend turning it off.

I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with the battery life. I'm not saying mine hasn't been reduced since using Kangerade, but to hear that some people have a battery going down to like 50% without being used seems a bit strange to me.
I leave GPS on all the time, and at least according to the phones battery status page, it shows it uses a very small percent of the battery compared to other things. GPS "on" means its available for use, it does not necessarily mean that it has an active fix on sats and is tracking.

Wifi is only ever on when I am at home. I normally leave Syncing on all the time.

Turning off GPS/Wifi/Sync last night was just me testing to see if they were the culprits draining my battery. Last nights drain was the worst - so obviously they weren't causing it. (Nights before I was down to maybe 70% after letting it sleep all night)

Another thing I thought of that might be causing some issues for people's battery life: I think a vast majority of us root users use setcpu. With that, people need to make sure that their priority levels are correct (assuming you're using profiles that is.) If they're not done correctly, there's a chance that your phone is constantly running at, let's say 500-1000, even while in sleep mode. Double-check your priority levels!

My screen sleep profile is the only profile I run.

FrostMan

Reaction score
OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
downloading it now. will give it a shot.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
When I initially started using Jrummy's roms a few weeks ago, I was dealing with the same stuff. I wound up going through and adjusting a bunch of settings that seemed to help out quite a bit. Scrolling animations, auto-brightness, and so on were turned off. I also got rid of some widgets that I rarely used. My battery currently will last me a normal day with a bit to spare by the end of the night. For whatever it's worth, I use my quite often throughout the day. I've had better battery life with older roms, no question, but I haven't had many issues making it through the day.

Heck, I'm just trying to make it through the night, not even using my phone!

I'm hoping that the new 5.0.9 might help some. Got it installed with Chevy ULV1.2 sitting at 400/1000 on demand right now, with sleep at 250/250.

I'll get her all charged up, and disable gps/wifi/sync again before bed and see what happens tonight.

Personally, I think you should have GPS disabled all of the time unless you're using it for navigating purposes. Just let your location be determined through the wireless network setting. Wifi eats up the battery life as well, so if you're going to bed, I'd recommend turning it off.

I'm not sure why so many people are having issues with the battery life. I'm not saying mine hasn't been reduced since using Kangerade, but to hear that some people have a battery going down to like 50% without being used seems a bit strange to me.

True if you have WiFi searching it drains the battery, but I think he has WiFi connection which is the reasoning behind having it on. And having WiFi on uses less battery than 3G.

jferrato7

Reaction score
Chevy Medium Voltage 1.0mhz

Im using chevy's kernels right now...I used to use ultra low and low but after doing some research I figured medium would be the best. I read that the stock Droid's Kernel is more closely related to Medium voltage than a lower one. My thought process is by lowering it like that your actually forcing the CPU to work harder and use more battery. Ive had great success with my battery so far...except my Gentle Alarm App goes off and if i dont wake up in enough time it kills my battery in minutes! lol. The kernel that comes stock with JRummy's is garbage. I recommend chevy or p3...I clock my to 800 during the day and 1000 if absolutely needed for heavy use(not often that its needed) Im probably wrong about the whole Medium voltage thing but Its working for me and it makes me feel better thinking that! haha dancedroiddancedroid

Blueberry Kangerade
Chevy 1.0

mike919

Reaction score
use chevyno1's 1.2 uLV if possible. i left my phone on all night on a full charge and woke up on a full charge. no airplane mode, no nothin. fantastic.

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Well, I loaded up Chevy's ULV 1.2 yesterday. Gave it a good charge and took it off the charger to let it sit while I slept. I woke up this morning and it was at 80% after about 7 hours. Much better - but I still think it should be better.

I did go into setcpu and set the powersave bias to 100. Working in increments of 100, anything higher made it run very choppy.

It was set to sleep at 250mhz max, with wifi/gps/sync off. I also used System Panel lite to kill most processes. Going to do the same tonight except leave processes running and see what sort of difference I get.

I tried this kernel once before and battery life was pretty bad. I'm wondering if something new in the latest build of Kang has helped it?

EgooEspada

Reaction score
use chevyno1's 1.2 uLV if possible. i left my phone on all night on a full charge and woke up on a full charge. no airplane mode, no nothin. fantastic.

I'm using Chevy's ULV 1.0GHz OC'd at 800MHz. So far so good, usually his kernels offer me the best battery life at LV. Seems this ROM has different needs though. :)

bodean

Reaction score

I'm using Chevy's ULV 1.0GHz OC'd at 800MHz. So far so good, usually his kernels offer me the best battery life at LV. Seems this ROM has different needs though. :)

Different needs eh?

iamnotjohn

Reaction score
i'm using chevyno1's 1.0ghz LV kernel. battery life is pretty decent, even though im overclocked to 250 - 1000...