[Kernels] 5/31/11 - Froyo/Gingerbread

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, May 31, 2011.

1. tee00max

tee00max New Member

Is there anything I can do to my phone from preventing it from getting as hot as it gets. I'm currently running the 1000LV running at 1000 set to ondemand and when I use my GPS or stream music, the temps ramp up to 131 degrees, any way to prevent this or which kernel and speed do you recommend?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Go lower speed or lower voltage so either try a .9 Ghz lv kernel or the ulv 1 Ghz kernel or even the .9 ghz ulv one

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. tee00max

tee00max New Member

yeah im about to try the 900 ulv and see if that works or gives me bootloops...
  4. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I'm running the 1200mhz ULV kernel and haven't had any overheat issues. Not sure if you want to try 1200 or not but just letting you know.
  5. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Well, about temps: Download tasker. You can set up a profile so when you open certain apps, it underclocks ur phone. I have it so when i open certain apps, it clocks it down to 550 which keeps it from overheating too much. Lower voltage will help of course. If your phone cant handle ULV then hopefully it can handle LV which normally will keep it from hitting 131 degrees(you don't want it this hot). I'd set up a profile as well(if u use setcpu or any overclocking app that allows u to set profiles) to underclock when it hits a certain temp. I have mine to clown way when it hits passed 113 degree. Even though ive never hit this high, it makes me feel better that i have the profile.

Currently im running primes kernels as it allows me to custom set vsels which is just awesome but if you don't want to spend the time then Chevy's ULV or LV kernels should be suffice.

Its odd to see this high of a temp with LV kernel. I'd definatly set some profiles to your overclocking app or tasker. the difference between 1000 and say 700 is little with chevy's amazing rom and is unnoticeable if your just using google maps or streaming music(as your not actually doing anything).

I do highly recommend tasker. Its an amazing app with amazing capabilities. You can get a trial on the main website.
  6. dpaine88

dpaine88 New Member

Could anyone give a brief description of the "Min-Max" gov? Never heard of this one until now..
  7. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Min/Max- stays at minimum speed until more speed is needed then goes straight to highest speed, no increasing intervals like most of the other governors

8. markc23

markc23 Member

I was having the same problem though wasn't getting quite that hot. I went from a 1100 ULV to a 1100 lv and it solved the problem. Not sure a lower voltage doesn't in fact cause more work for the phone and cause more heat. At least that's what others have suggested.
  9. metalspring

metalspring New Member

A lower voltage kernel will make it run hot if its not running right, your phone might SEEM to be able to handle a lower voltage kernel but actually it can't, in which case it'll make the android os run very poorly and heat up and drain battery

10. adrianb

adrianb New Member

Hey ,

I am a droid newb. One question. when i unpack the download, I get three folders.

Do I put them in a folder and name it update.zip? AND then put it on the sd card?

TIAq
  11. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

You don't unzip the file. You just take what you've downloaded and put it on the sd card.
  12. metalspring

metalspring New Member

First is your phone rooted?
    Second do you have a recovery installed? (Clockworkmod, sprecovery or rzrecovery)

13. adrianb

adrianb New Member

yeah it's rooted. I have cyanogenmod 7.something (whatever the newest is) and I have rom manager.

edit: yes clockworkmod free not premium, but i dwnlded the kernel from here.
  14. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Its simple then, make sure to download a few different voltage and max speed kernels just in case your phone doesn't like one (bootloops) and leave them all exactly how you downloaded them, just reboot to recovery and flash like a regular rom but don't wipe data or cache

15. adrianb

adrianb New Member

awesome doing it now.

It said kernel installed. then i rebooted. can you tell me how i can see the kernel installed? l like an "about" screen.

Nevermind it's overclocking to 1200 now which is proof its on there.

question now is, is there a place where descriptions of the different govenors exists? as in how each one functions?
  16. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Powersave- runs minimum speed all the time (good for low battery/high temp situations)

Ondemand- increases speed as needed in intervals

Min/Max- stays at minimum speed until more speed is needed then goes straight to highest speed

Interactive- like ondemand except it "guesses" when you'll need more speed before you actually need it

Conservative- like ondemand except slower to increase speed (good battery saver)

Smartass/smartmod- same as interactive but lowers speed with screen off automatically

Performance- top speed all the time (benchmarking/speed testing only)

17. adrianb

adrianb New Member

Awesome. Sounds like Ondemand or Conservative for me then. I bought two batteries just in case i got stuck somewhere I couldn't charge.

Thanks so much for the help!
  18. metalspring

metalspring New Member

In layman's terms minmax is probably the most responsive (other than performance but don't run that lol) but not good for the battery
    Next would be smartass for responsiveness- still not good for battery, then interactive (my personal choice) it has much better battery life, ondemand is probably the best balance for performance and battery life

19. metalspring

metalspring New Member

With Chevy's kernels you don't have much to worry about for battery life ;) conservative is good for a setpcu profile for low battery though

20. Nezdude87

Nezdude87 New Member

Just installed the 1.1Ghz lv kernel. While set to "performance," my CPU temp was 87 Fahrenheit and the battery was 96.8 Fahrenheit after running 4 Quadrant Standard benchmarks in a row. Now, after being idle for 3 minutes, my CPU is 69.8 and my battery is 89.6, both Fahrenheit. I haven't connected to 3g yet, as I don't have any where I am today, but I'm curious as to how hot it'll get when I do. I'm also curious as to how much battery life I'll get. What are the average "good" battery life times and average temperatures? I'd like something to compare to.

I have a Motorola Milestone btw. Turns out most people were wrong about even the cdma versions being "unhackable" :p
Search tags for this page
best kernel for gingerbread

chevy ulv 1100

chevyno1

chevyno1 kernels gingerbread

chevyno1 og droid kernels

download chevy 1.1 ghz kernel for droid 1
droid 1 kernels
froyo

froyo kernel

gingerbread kernel

kernel froyo