[Kernels] 5/31/11 - Froyo/Gingerbread

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, May 31, 2011.

1. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you're looking at Android OS in the Settings => Battery stats, don't forget to do a refresh every few minutes. Keep in mind this is a cumulative percentage of total usage, so the values aren't relative until you start looking at them over a period of time. Just glancing at these numbers for a moment does not give you a clear picture of how to set your power.

Also, while studying these cumulative values and doing refreshes every once in a while, notice how small an amount of difference CPU usage actually makes in the total picture of your power usage, especially with well tuned kernels (ie: Chevy's, etc.). If you really want to improve things with battery usage, there are other usage areas that make more sense to worry about...

For example, while personally I love live wallpapers (Aquarium is my favorite), next to the radios, they are probably the biggest optional culprit of battery usage and heat.

2. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    your not getting what we were trying to do. We were simply trying to figure out if the voltage was high enough for his phone. If your phone is just idling and android OS is the leading % then your phone isn't really sleeping. This means the voltage is too low. Which is exactly what we were trying to figure out.

If the phone isn't sleeping then this is probably the most important value because its just constantly draining battery. If the android OS is constantly running, you won't get more than 15 hours of battery even if you don't use it at all opposed to 100+ hours if you don't use it at all.

he could have also opened up spare parts and compared "screen on" to "running" but if he doesn't have the app then no need to make him download it.

3. metalspring

metalspring Silver Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Well just as I thought my phone is just somehow awesome lol, running 1.25 ulv interactive with no setcpu profiles set up (yet) android os is only 8%
    Maybe my custom sysctl configuration helps quite a bit?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Edit: which one do I look at? Android system or android os?
    I have the 8% for android system but only 4% for android os

4. northendtrooper

northendtrooper Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the 1.2ghz zip. Got stuck in boot loop. Going back to my Slayher 1ghz for now.

5. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the kernel that comes with 5.4 the 1.0LV in the 5-31-2011 batch?

6. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool got my phone replacement and installed SS5.4 and works great!!1. Love the new kernels so far. I installed 1.25 to see what my "new" phone can handle. My Maps force closed and I did a fix perm but to no avail, removed Maps and re-installed it and it works perfect now :) THANKS CHEVY, GREAT JOB!!!!!

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you try Chevy's 1ghz? Are you able to run any other 1.2ghz at all?

8. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OS, but its hardware. Either the hardware can support it or it can't. your just very lucky. :)

9. mjones73

mjones73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know having my car dock up where the sun can beat on it isn't help but man my phone ran hot today. I had Subsonic running which downloads music in the background and it was averaging around 55-58C on the processor. This is on the 900Mhz LV kernel with a profile set to allow it to max out at 700 Mhz On Demand when charging.

10. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You got an Atrix? What kernel are you running and what r your Quadrant scores?

11. northendtrooper

northendtrooper Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The ULV 1.2ghz stuck in boot loop. The LV 1.25ghz was way too laggy. I benchmark tested my stock froyo kernel vs 1.25ghz LV and the results on the quadrant standard was Chevy=350 and the stock was about 715. The chevy was on on full blast and the stock kernel was at 800mhz. I might try the medium voltage on the 1.ghz and see what happens.

12. markc23

markc23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped using Quadrant to measure performance. My Quadrant scores dropped significantly since going to GB, but the "feel" of the phone and the smoothness are much much better.

13. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Take up to 3 to 4 quadrant test before you will actually see the real score. I normally take 4 runs and take the average of the 4 and call that a good average.

14. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +34
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Twitter:
    spc_hicks09
    I've noticed a significant increase in performance since running 2.3.4 and using Chevy's kernels. I'm getting up to like a 1400 average score on quandrant. As opposed to a 1100-1200 score when on froyo.

Attached Files:

15. metalspring

metalspring Silver Member

Ratings:
    +24
    ESPECIALLY if you use compcache, I stopped using quadrant too but back on froyo using it with compcache the first score would be in the 1500s then second time would be up in the 1600s and after 3 or 4 it'd be all the way up go the mid 1700s

Oddly enough on gingerbread I can't get quite that high but my linpack scores are much higher than froyo

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Edit: well now, I'm actually getting about the same quadrant scores again...never thought I'd be able to with gingerbread, I got my 1750 scores back hooray

Search tags for this page
best kernel for gingerbread
chevy ulv 1100
chevyno1 kernels gingerbread

chevyno1 og droid kernels

download chevy 1.1 ghz kernel for droid 1

froyo kernel

gingerbread kernel
gingerbread kernel number

kernel froyo

kernel froyo gingerbread