[Kernels] 5/26/11 - Froyo/Gingerbread

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, May 26, 2011.

1. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Ratings:
    +1

I was same exact way, sadly my phone started acting up 2 days later with high android OS causing battery to drain. The vsels are just a tad bit too low for my phone it seems.

2. Samurai26

Samurai26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the only other ULV kernel I've tried, Prime's, worked flawlessly, it was just a little too hot but that might be b/c CM7. Also, Chevy's .8ghz ULV works, so shouldn't the 1.0ghz ULV theoretically work as well?

#86 Samurai26, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  3. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    nah, voltage/freq combo just might work with your phone.

Chevy needs to come out with "lower but not ultra low" kernels. :D :D :D

4. Samurai26

Samurai26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Totally serious here thats a fantastic idea, or maybe he can implement or show us a way to adjust the voltage on his existing kernels. With Prime's kernel all you had to do was edit a script with the vsel numbers in there for each slot

5. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy's always said that the ULV kernels might not work for everyone with every speed. It's sort of a balancing act. I prefer higher speed combined with reliability, and am willing to go with LV or even MV kernels in order to accomplisth that. Others may prefer only ULV kernels and will be willing to accept lower speeds in order to get that.

I've got two Droid1s and set them up identically. One was sold in late 2009, the other in mid-2010. They are slightly different related to the tolerances. But both run the same Android ROM (currently stock-rooted-odexed 2.2.2 FRG83G) with the same kernel (currently Chevy's 7-slot/1.25GHz/LV) with the same launcher (currently GO Launcher EX 2.29) and the same live wallpaper (Aquarium) and application load (~120 apps). So together they make an excellent test bed...

Despite having logcat turned on, I've never had better battery, heat and reliablity results with a kernel than this one (Chevy's 7-slot/1.25GHz/LV). That applies to both of my Droid1s.

My observation is that the big difference between how one Droid1 works and how another Droid1 works is what the applications are doing in the foreground or background.

#89 dwoid, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  6. grinchy

grinchy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am always looking for good speed and better battery life :)

7. Samurai26

Samurai26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dwoid- Yeah, I sorta knew that too... It's disappointing that the 1GHz ULV doesn't work on my Droid. I can only imagine how crazy fast it would be considering the 0.8GHz ULV is already a monster on CM7.

By the way, should I check out the 1GHz LV kernel? How much higher voltage is it, would it affect anything really?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    lol the only reason i said it was because it seems my phone is so close to being able to run it but it actually cant. I don't know how to manually edit vsels on the kernel(if possible at all...). I LOVE his LV kernel. Best i've used but running cooler/better battery while maintaining same performance is what its all about.

9. Samurai26

Samurai26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with you Eric, my point is that being able to run the .8 ULV is like a tease! I want to see how much of a beast the 1ghz ULV is on my OG lol. About Chevy's LV kernels, they're rock solid, I used an old version of his 1GHz LV for MONTHS and enjoyed it a lot

10. metalspring

metalspring Silver Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Go by the common saying around here- if it bootloops try a higher voltage or lower speed
    Actually I think the voltage really only effects heat and battery life and maybe a little on performance

Ulv= coolest, best battery life, but slightly lower performance and obviously less stable for many phones

Low voltage= still fairly cool with good battery life, slightly better performance and more stable

Standard voltage= average temperature, average battery life, average performance and quite stable

Increasing voltage= runs hotter, lower battery life, better performance, most stable at high speeds

That's the basics but it does vary for each individual phone

I'm lucky my phone runs 1.25Ghz ulv no problem at all with it, ever lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

11. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is also a matter of individual phone tolerances... And -- probably a bigger part of this than most of us realize -- is how hard and hot your radios have to work to get a workable connection.

On both of my Droid1s, I can run 1.25 ULV, but if I do, it uses more battery and gets noticably hotter than if I run LV. This is after doing a lot of testing, as like most of us, I felt that ULV was the best the world has to offer. The best kernel for your phone is the one that gives you the best combination of speed, battery life, heat management and functional reliability, period. If that's ULV, that's fine, if that's LV or MV, that's fine too.

Also, what works well for my two Droid1s may not work well for yours. The combination of connection quality, setup and applications you use makes a huge difference between your Droid1 and any other Droid1. Again, it's a balancing act and it takes some serious testing and time to get a feeling of what's best for you.

Best of luck with this!

12. Samurai26

Samurai26 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    +1, Absolutely agree

Search tags for this page
droid 3 overclock gingerbread kernel
ext2 ko gingerbread
ext2.ko android ginggerbred
ko modules for gb