[Kernels] 3/9/11 - Liquid GB Compatibility

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

If you are running one of the kernels from 3/3 - no need to update - the ONLY change in these is to enable LZMA - which will make it so that you LGB users can now use my kernels without getting stuck at the bootloop. Thx to raidzero for telling me that he uses LZMA in his ramdisk - that was the issue.

And YES - these will work for Froyo as well.

Standard rules apply - if you load up, and get stuck at the 'M' - first wipe CACHE. If still stuck - try a different kernel.

Compcache is supported within these kernels - however, if you are using a non-SS ROM and have problems - you need to speak with that ROM's dev, as most of the work for compcache is in the ROM itself.

Kernels - added compatibility with Liquid Gingerbread ROMS
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I don't ruin LGB, so I will wait till the next version releases to install the latest kernel.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. dwoid

dwoid New Member

As usual, a huge thanks, Chevy!!!

Btw, what are the differences between ChevyNo1-1.25Ghz-lowV-7slot-update-new.zip and ChevyNo1-1.25Ghz-lowV-7slot-update.zip (which should I load up if I want the newest and best)?
  4. coovee

coovee New Member

can we use compache with these?
  5. ChevyNo1

The 'new' was a test for LGB - and it was a 'full' bootimage - the new kernel is a partial bootimage (anykernel format) but now includes LZMA support.

This means you do not need to flash the new kernel ...
  6. ChevyNo1

Yes you can - please see new note added to the first post.
  7. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

When is SS 5.1 coming out?
  8. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Hi Chevy,

Great... I'm running the new 1.25 7 slot LV kernel and it's running consistently and with very good stability for the first time. As we've disussed I usually find better stability with the MV kernels on my Droid1s, but this LV kernel is running well so far, perhaps a result of the tuning in SetCPU and of some housecleaning I did... Or perhaps some new tuning you've provided in the kernels? Whatever the case, I hope to stay with it :) .

Whether needed for functionality or not, I'm trying to stay with your newest versions, as it's just easier to keep track of things with two Droid1s that way.

Thanks again!

dancedroid

9. 0vermind

0vermind New Member

Is logging turned off in these kernels?
  10. ChevyNo1

Yes - you can assume that any changes in the previous versions are also present in the new ones, unless specifically called out.
  11. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

What is the "logging" ? thats not the "time in state" info is it?
  12. ChevyNo1

No, that should not be affected ...
  13. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Hey Chevy,

I think I may have found a problem with the new LGB compatible kernels, at least with non-LGB Droid1s... This is at least with the 7-slot 1.25GHz LV and MV kernels...

It's Wireless Tether. It comes up with errors under these LGB kernels and does not show availability on PCs in the networks area. I tried clearing WT data and uninstalling/reinstalling. I've just verified that the previous, non-LGB version (March 3) of both of these LV and MV kernels work fine with WT. If you can point me to the location of the log file that WT creates on errors, I'd be glad to get it for you.

This is happening on both my Droid1s, running stock rooted odexed FRG83D 2.2.1/ADW.

As usual, thanks for all your hard work on these kernels. I'm ok for now, running the March 3 non-LGB LV kernel now and it's running very nicely. If and when the newest kernels work for WT, I'll move back to them.

P.S. It strikes me that I didn't test regular wireless connections with the new LGB kernels. I know bluetooth does work, but I don't have any baseline on general wireless connections to share at this moment. This might be only a WT issue, or it might be a more general wireless issue.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  14. ChevyNo1

Thanks for the info - but it sure would help me if I knew what the 'errors' were - does it say anything in the app? If not - a logcat should show it
  15. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Hi Chevy,

Hmmm, and after all that...

This morning I loaded up the new LGB kernel 1.25/7/LV kernel again and it's working. Perfectly, I might add. On both of my Droid1s too...

So far, I cannot get WT to fail and produce its error file...

The only thing I can think of is that when I first flashed the LV LGB kernel a few days ago, it was after first trying the MV LGB kernel first, since at that time I didn't know if LV would work for me. This time, I'm going directly from the March 3 LV non-LGB kernel, where wireless worked, to the LV LGB kernel, and it works.

I'll keep playing with this to see if I can duplicate the problem. If I didn't see it on both Droid1s I'd think it was some confusion on my part.

I suspect it's a subtle initialization issue -- not really a bug but just a interrelationship -- either a WT related setting or a general Wireless related setting that's not getting initialized in the new LGB kernel, but that maybe isn't getting reset by the new LBG kernel either. And it probably *is* getting initialzied in the March 3 LGB kernel, which would explain why it started working after backloading that kernel, and why it keeps working now under the LGB kernel.

I'll let you know if I can find some way to duplicate this and capture error messages; otherwise I'm home again with the newest LGB kernels dancedroid.

P.S. I did re-download the new LGB kernels before reloading them and having success with WT... Have there been any little inter-version tweaks since March 9?

P.P.S. Standard wireless also works perfectly. I still don't know if it had failed when WT was failing.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  16. ChevyNo1

No tweaks since 3/9 - those are the latest. Good to hear all is working well!
  17. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Ok, was able to duplicate this WT issue with one of my Droid1s (restored a recent backup that included the March 9 LGB kernel that I downloaded on March 9)...

Error log says errors occurred:
    1) Loadiing Wifi Driver
    2) Activiating Wifi Interface
    3) Setting Adhoc Mode
    4) Setting essid
    5) Setting channel

Probably all errors center around not being able to load the Wifi driver.

Also, I receive an error when trying to activiate Wifi in Settings => Wireless & Networks. Wireless is currently non-functional on this Droid1.

All of this does work fine with the March 3 non-LGB kernels.

[Later...]

And... To get wireless and WT working again, I tried re-installing WT, re-loading the March 9 kernels that I had downloaded on March 9, hard-booting, clearing cache (which I always do when switching kernels anyway), just about everything I could think of...

Nothing fixed it until I *re-downloaded a fresh copy of the March 9 LGB kernels and re-installed them*.

I'm finishing this post here running the new copy of the March 9 LGB kernel (1.25/7/LV), using WT for my PC's internet connection.

dancedroid
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  18. Camaros_Kill

Camaros_Kill New Member

Sounds like you just had a bad download of the kernel which was somehow still able to boot your phone.
  19. dwoid

dwoid New Member

Yup, there aren't too many other possibilities...

Sort of strange though...

It doesn't matter though, the new downloads work very nicely and I'm a very happy camper.

It's time for me to donate again...

Thanks again Chevy!

dancedroid

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  20. ChevyNo1

Glad you got it straightened out, and thanks for your support!
Search tags for this page

gb 09 liquid

kernels compatible gingerbread