[Kernels] 3/3/11 - Faster GB/Froyo Kernels!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds like it - can you try another kernel, say from Slayher? It HAS to be a kernel that is in the 'anykernel' format (something Koush came up with). In other words - if you look at the zipfile, it will have a 'kernel' directory in it. If Pe5 has the same issue - those kernels also should fail.

2. htartisan

htartisan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy... Very impressed with the kernels you've developed. Especially the most recent ones. I have been using your ULV kernels (currently using the ULV 1.2 ghz), and they seem to run cooler, and use less battery power than other over-clock kernels I have tried that are around the same speed. My compliments. :)

The issue I am currently having is that, though the kernels say that they work with GB Compcashe, I having trouble getting that to work properly. I have been using your kernel with CM7, they though I configure the default Compcashe setting, when I run a terminal program, and type "free" (I was told this is the best way to find out what Compcashe is currently being use) I see that no "swap" is currently being used.

Don't know if this is a bug, or if I'm just doing something wrong?

3. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    @htartisan - Thanks! 90% of the support for compcache resides within the ROM itself - only 10% in the kernel - unfortunately because that is so - you will have to contact CM about why it is not working for you - I am not sure how it is implemented in his ROM. Or of course you could try my ROM ;) If you think you might do that - wait until my next release which I am feverishly trying to finish up now!

4. htartisan

htartisan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chevy

Thanks for the reply. :)

I did leave a message on the CM forum about the problem with Compcashe when I use your kernels. I had the same problem when I tried Pete Alfonso's kernels, and figured that it much be a CM7 issue. I mentioned that it the CM forum.

I am very impressed with your Android work, and yeah, I did try SSv5.0. I also tried BBv5. I felt like there were a couple of features that I was missing from CM. I am experimenting with all 3 ROMs, and I'm sure I will settle on one soon. Just waiting to see a final of CM, and the latest versions of SS and BB.

Thanks for all your efforts/awesome work. Please keep it up.

5. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +65
    I am on pe5 and have your 1ghz kernel from 3/3 running just great!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

6. bigeric828

bigeric828 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I tried 1000 and 1100 ULV's before without success so i was with 1000 LV kernel. I always set it to 800 mhz so i figured id try the 800 ULV and voila, ULV KERNEL WORKS! :) very happy. Hopefully will see a nice change in battery/heat. Thanks chevy, as always, great job.

7. alpine

alpine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Link to the old kernels?

8. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd mention...

I'm running Chevy's 1.25Ghz 7-slot MV kernel over Stock Odexed Rooted Froyo 2.2.1 and ADW. It works very very nicely, except I had been noticing that after running for a few hours my Droid1s (I have two of them, setup the same) were both getting noticably laggy. And it got significantly worse as the day dragged on...

What I've found is because I was running a SetCPU profile for Screen Off that was allowing CPU speed to go down to 125MHz, the system was evidently not keeping up with housekeeping properly. I've set that Screen Off profile only to *not allow* CPU speed to go below 250MHz, and *all* the laggyness went away. All of my other SetCPU profiles (for normal operations) still allow CPU speed to go down to 125MHz and everything still runs ok.

This applies to both of my Droid1s, so it might be fairly consistent, at least if you're running stock rooted.

9. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, glad they are working for you now!

10. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    Which old kernels - the last set? Any particular reason you want those?

11. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    Good to know, thanks for the input. It seems most Droids can handle the lowest slot, but some can't - just like the variation in what kernels will work.

12. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chevy,

Actually, these Droid1s (and as you say, most Droid1s) *can* handle the 125MHz slot... It's just I've got them heavily loaded -- about 118 applications, most on SD, under ADW and Aquarium LW (plus considering that stock rooted is not custom-optimized)...

So there is an awful lot of overhead stuff going on here, and while I can't document it other than by testing, I'm pretty convinced there's a lot of housecleaning that tries to happen in Screen Off and other very low-draw periods.

So the Screen Off profile in SetCPU is the only thing I changed, setting it to 250MHz minimum. I have 5 other profiles to cover normal operating conditions, heat failsafe, charging and battery conditions, and they all still have a 125MHz minimum. Changing Screen Off seems to have gotten rid of the lag very nicely.dancedroid

13. alpine

alpine Member

Ratings:
    +0

Every since I swapped to the new series I am getting lock ups and random reboots with the Froyo/GB compucache lv1000 mhz.

Phone was rock solid with the prior Froyo 1000 lv kernel.

14. tbone73

tbone73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  15. gdawg522

gdawg522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What could be the reason for me getting the word "Error" when I try to turn on the wifi in the settings menu? Anyone?

Search tags for this page

faster kernel for gb

www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/129734-kernels-3-3-11-fas