Kernel Voltages

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by KsKnightmare, Jul 29, 2010.

1. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello,
    im currently running the froyo kangerade v5.0.9 on my droid and was thinking about switching kernels to a p3droid, but im not sure what the different kernel slots and voltages mean. can you please explain. thank you

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The number of slots on a kernel is the number of spots you can set the kernel to run at. So say you have a 7 slot 1ghz kernel, you have 7 slots between the lowest speed and the highest speed, which in this case it would be 1ghz, to choose from. So it could go something like 125mhz, 250mhz, 400mhz, 600mhz, 800mhz, 900mhz, 1ghz or something of that nature. When you download the kernel, it usually tells you which speeds are available.

The voltage is just what it says, the voltage the kernel runs at. Standard/medium/stock voltage > low voltage > ultra-low voltage kernels. In theory the lower the voltage, the less heat it produces and the less battery it consumes. In practice, people have reported different, like better battery life with a medium voltage kernel. But in theory that is how it works.

Some of the lower voltage kernels can cause problems, especially at higher speeds. Also, not every phone or ROM plays nice with all kernels. For example quite a few people, myself included, struggle to run kernels over 1.2ghz regardless of voltage.

Before installing a kernel, you should create a backup, just in case the new one is problematic.

3. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cool, thanks a bunch. I'm running a 1.1ghz with standard voltage right now and its running smoothly.
    Thanks again

Search tags for this page

kernel voltages explained