Kernel/Rom questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thehirsches, Sep 24, 2010.

1. thehirsches

thehirsches New Member

I am currently running Chevy's 2.6.32 lowV-1.1Ghz kernel with SS 4.7. I have Set CPU and have tried various scaling options. I use launcher Pro and have tried the terminal entry to fix it.

I am having a few issues.

1. Battery life is terrible. My system seems to go from 100% to 40% in just a couple of hours of light to no usage.

2. Slow response time.

3. Random "force close/wait" messages on apps that have never caused issues in the past like google maps.

I am not sure if I need to try a new kernel, Rom or some other item I've missed. Honestly, I am too much of newbie to even know if I Chevy's stuff is good for my phone or not, though I like the look of SS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. mx371

mx371 New Member

Chevy makes good stuff. I've had problems like a number of times with different roms. In my experience it's best just to wipe everything and reload the rom. Unless there's a better way to clear things up that I'm not aware of..
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Remove the launcher and task killer, if you have one. Get a cache cleaner from the market and clean the cache. If that does not improve the issues then install a different kernel.

I've always has great success with Chevy's kernels. And as mx371 mentioned you can wipe data and cache and reinstall.

Hope this is helpful. Please let us know what you decide.
  4. thehirsches

thehirsches New Member

I'll try removing task killer and cleaning the cache first. I really like the features of Launcher so am hoping to avoid dumping it.

mx371, I have a few applications like battlenet key and such that I cannot lose. I assume doing a complete wipe will erase all these applications so I will have to reinstall. I'll do a full backup and then try it as well.

Does anyone know of an app that can give you a summary of all installed apps and such? It would be great when trying to describe why you are having issues.
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

All of your apps and contacts are associated with your Google/Gmail account so you will not lose either. Check out MyBackUp Pro and Titanium. Both are paid apps in the Market and well worth the money.

Good luck