1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Kernel Questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by twentydeuce, Sep 20, 2010.

1. twentydeuce

twentydeuce New Member

I've got UD8 up and running perfectly. In the search for the best battery life I've begun a search for my perfect kernel. While looking around I've got a few questions.

1. If my phone can run a 1.25 ULV kernel, should I download that and find the best battery life by throddling down or is it better to get a 1.1 or 1.0 kernel and run it at full speed? Is there any performance issue by getting a higher run kernel and setting it lower then max?

2. Why does my phone seem to run hotter with a ULV kernel then the stock kernel? Should I look for a LV kernel or SV?

3. I find that when I have my profile set to 125/125 when the screen is off and get a phone call, the ring tone comes in fine but the screen doesn't turn on quickly to show me who's calling and allow me to answer. Is this because of the profile or is this something else?

I've tried Chevy's 1.25 ULV kernel and stock kernel. So far I've found the stock to work better for me based on battery life and temp. Most of what I've read though seems to make this seem backwards. Shouldn't a ULV kernel run cooler?

In the past week it feels like I've gone from noob to grizzled vet. Thanks everyone.
  2. jeffe65

jeffe65 New Member

1. Start with 1.0 or 1.1 before going up right away. You can throttle down a faster kernel, but remember that if you do you'll have fewer options for setting profiles.

2. All phones vary; mine didn't like Chevy's LV 1.1 kernel -- too hot and drained the battery fast, but runs great using a P3Droid 1.25 LV at full speed. You have to take time to experiment, and understand that some phones don't like lower-voltage kernels, or just low-voltage of a certain type of kernel.

3. Try 125 min and 550 max (or whatever is close) and see whether that helps. I had to set mine to 400 min/700 max or thereabouts depending on the kernel, or the phone just wouldn't wake up fast enough to answer.

There's a lot of info on the "Overclocking 101" thread on this site, and another for SetCPU settings; you may want to head over there. In the mean time, be willing to experiment, and if a favorite kernel just doesn't work then try another. Good luck!
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I've been running Overclock Kernels since they became available. I always ran at 1.25Ghz because I loved the speed and my phone did not heat up too much. I didn't worry about the battery consumption because I had chargers everywhere I went. :)

I now run a P3Droid kernel that is 250-800 because other than benchmark test results I could not see the difference between 800 and 1250 when using the phone. The phone wakes up better at 250mhz and 800 is good on the battery and heat, obviously, is not an issue. YMMV!!!:):)
  4. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member