Kernel question

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Alpinestars96, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Alpinestars96

Alpinestars96 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope this goes here! I can't find any 1.25 kernels that are stable enough to use. I think I only have 2 more to try and I love the benchmark mark scores I get with them. Currently using 1250 MHz kernel running at 1.1 ghz and it is stable. Got 1300 quadrant scores at 1.1 in 2 or 3 tries just like get 1600's from a 1.25 kernel. Are there any 1.25 kernels that never gave a Droid 1 a problem (fc's, reboot and such) I have 2.2.2 Frito and no customer Rome just using kernels via rom manager. Thanks

Sent from my Droid

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Short answer no.

No two processors are 100% the same, due to the manufacturing process. They are made to work at 600MHz at the stock voltages. Anything higher than that speed, or lower in voltage is not tested and as so, may or may not work properly. Some folks get lucky and can run high speeds and/or low voltages, others aren't so lucky. I have seen a few people have issues with 800MHz (stock voltages) kernels, it is rare but it is definitely possible. My phone doesn't like going above 1.2GHz regardless of the voltage.

With that said, a faster kernel doesn't always mean more speed either. I mean this in two ways. First, there is another bottleneck other than processor speed, (poorly written app, slow memory, low amounts of memory...etc). Secondly, and more in line with your question, as I mentioned above no two processors are the same. Take your example of running a 1.25GHz kernel, where you experienced the force closes and reboots. That is more on the extreme side of your phone disliking a kernel. Slightly lesser extreme will be something like your phone struggling to perform tasks, possibly on the verge of FCing. This can have a negative effect on your battery life as well.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html <-- If you wanted to read more that thread has quite a bit of information on overclocking. Also you can read about processor production process if you wanted to.

3. Alpinestars96

Alpinestars96 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I tried a 1.2 ghz LV for 20 hours and it has been running very well on my phone. Highest benchmark with this kernel has been around 1300's (quadrant). Thanks again for the info!

Sent from my Droid