Kernel Question?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by E1337Hax, Dec 25, 2010.

1. E1337Hax

E1337Hax New Member

I have recently flashed the CM6 ROM to my droid 1 by Motorola. I was wondering if i flashed a Chevy No.1 kernel, will it erase my ROM and data? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

E,

Flashing a kernel will only erase your current kernel, and possibly modify compcache and overclocking per the new kernel. But, and it is a big but, if you choose a kernel that is incompatible speed and voltage wise, you can get bootloops which would require restoring to your backup from recovery.

Craig
  3. E1337Hax

E1337Hax New Member

:greendroid:
    Hey Craig,

thanks alot for your help. I am going to rethink trying to get a new kernal now. I think the current 800MHz is enough for me :) :greendroid:
  4. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

E,

More folks really need to spend time with the kernels that come with roms, espcially with CM. We have some interesting threads going on overclock in Kousch's section here the CM forum here if you decide to get crazy. But, the CM kernel is actually a very solid choice. It is easy to get caught up in the hub-up of kernel flashing if you follow posts here, but a lot of folks just think that they have to have that top score in benchmark testing. In reality, if you phone does everything YOU ask of it with a stock kernel, why bother?

Craig