Kernel question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by GahhItsLee, Dec 11, 2010.

1. GahhItsLee

GahhItsLee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im trying to help my friend get a kernel on his droid and he tried a bunch of chevyno1 kernels but they all caused reboots and everything even at very very low speeds.
    What are some good kernels? He is not using a custom rom.

2. droidcruzer

droidcruzer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, is his droid at least rooted?

If he isn't using a custom ROM or even rooted, I'm not sure you can load a new kernel, much less would I. That may be why he is getting reboots, because the stock ROM isn't able to handle a different kernel other than the stock kernel. However, if you were to root the phone and load a custom ROM, not all droids are made the same, so the same kernel may not work the same way from one droid to another. I've used Chevy's, P3's, and slayher's and have had the best luck with speed and temperature on slayher's. Meaning, those seem to run the fastest and coolest for me. My advice, if he wants to start going down the road of changing kernels, he needs to root his droid at least. Because even if you were to get a new kernel to work, you couldn't do any overclocking with it because you have to have root access to use setcpu. If he is rooted, or he has performed the rooting process, maybe something went wrong with it, in which case the only advice I can offer is to flash back to stock and start over.

3. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If he is using a low voltage rom, try a standar voltage rom. The battery savings is minor so it won't cause too much heartburn.

If he is trying the ultra low voltage kernel, try a low voltage kernel.

I can run a low voltage up to about 800 or 900 mhz, but beyond that I get freezes and force closes, not re-boots. Reboots usually indicate he needs to wipe his data/cache. But I've never ran into that when just installing a kernel. But it's worth a shot.

Wiping the data/cache will requre logging back into Google to upload all your apps which takes some time. Grab a beer and watch a sitcom. Withdrawl from the Droid can be bad for your health. You must be distracted long enough for the droid to rebuild itself...about 15 minutes.

Nate

4. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Does the kernel you're installing match the build on the phone? You can run into problems if trying to install a Froyo 2.2 kernel on a phone running 2.1, or vice-versa.

5. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest way to pick a kernel that WORKS is to do the following:

-Download a variety of kernels. Put them in different folders on your sdcard so you can distinguish them in recovery.
    -**Make sure the build of the kernel matches the build of the phone -- i.e. don't try to run a 2.1 (eclair) kernel on a froyo 2.2 ROM -- otherwise it just won't work.**
    -Boot into recovery (hold x+pwr button when phone is off)
    -Try a slower, standard voltage (lower MHz) kernel first
    - Make sure your device boots fully and runs smoothly before trying a lower voltage or faster kernel.

Some phones do not handle high clock speeds and/or low voltages. Start with standard voltage and go down until you reach one that doesn't run stable, and then re-flash the one before it (the stable one). Likewise, do similarly with the clock speed. Start with a slower clock speed, and move up gradually and install the highest desirable clock speed that is stable.

Also, note that the "highest" clock speed (MHz) may not be the "fastest" on your phone. Some phones do best at an "optimum" clock speed. Some people run 900MHz better than they run 1.1GHz or 1GHz. Just try them out and stick with the one that works. My favorites are Slayher (link in my sig) and ChevyNo1.

When you get a bootloop, just "catch the boot" by waiting until the "M" JUST disappears and press X while it reboots. You will boot back into recovery. You might miss it your first time, but if you're in a bootloop, you'll get another shot!

6. GahhItsLee

GahhItsLee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i helped him find a bunch of kernels. Turns out he was doing the whole i just rooted my phone i now know everything thing and yea he downloaded his own kernels which were all for 2.1 and was trying those. I finally explained to him that kernels arent all interchangeable and his phone is working. I offically give up after that lol.